Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-16-2015, 09:54 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
They potentially can code it either way. Standard security best pratices always disable a userid after X invalid logon attempts. I remember a financial system audit, an SAE16 auditor brought up that the error message for invalid logon specifically said invalid userid or invalid password. It was changed to display a generic message saying your userid and password didn't match. Gave out no clues as to which field is invalid. They didn't raise issues about one or multiple screens.

Personally I do like the personalized second screen as an extra check. Maybe it's just a "feel good", but systems coded that way do make me feel more secure.

Same here, or provided that my phone is on the nearby table. When I log in and then have to go hunt down my phone, not so much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2015, 10:16 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I set it up myself, using Google Voice, so I can use the feature when I am away from my cell phone coverage.

I also selected to use the service when accessing my account from a new device so I don't need a code every time I use Vanguard with my home computer. I am curious if others have did the same, or chosen to use the code every time they access their Vanguard account.
I turned on 2-factor and put in my GV number.

One good thing about GV number is that you can use the GV app. with push notifications.

So on my iPhone, the texts go to my GV number and the push notification pops up.

That means I do not have to be in the US, in range of my US carrier. I just need Internet access (Wifi) and I can get the code anywhere in the world, without worrying about international SMS costs.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:40 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
I turned on 2-factor and put in my GV number.

One good thing about GV number is that you can use the GV app. with push notifications.

So on my iPhone, the texts go to my GV number and the push notification pops up.

That means I do not have to be in the US, in range of my US carrier. I just need Internet access (Wifi) and I can get the code anywhere in the world, without worrying about international SMS costs.
Except this would not work for me. I use Hughesnet. The voice capability is terrible. I can hear people fine, but what they hear is garbled. Any outgoing audio is bad. I don't think it would work for me.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 12:58 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Well I don't make calls with my GV number that much. I have it set up to forward calls to my cell but also it transcribes the audio to an email.

It also sends the text messages, which is what Vanguard would send, a code that is good for 10 minutes. Then the GV app on my devices will show the notification on the lock screen without my having to open the app.

Or I could check my email and the code sent by SMS is there as well.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:09 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I just turned on 2-step with Vanguard to test this. I'll probably stay with it.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 03:12 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Well I don't make calls with my GV number that much. I have it set up to forward calls to my cell but also it transcribes the audio to an email.

It also sends the text messages, which is what Vanguard would send, a code that is good for 10 minutes. Then the GV app on my devices will show the notification on the lock screen without my having to open the app.

Or I could check my email and the code sent by SMS is there as well.
We ported our home phone number to a cell phone and then to GV (GV still doesn't take landline numbers IIRC). Family/Contacts have one number calling, and those calls go directly to our cell phones-that we select (can turn on/off which cell phones to receive GV calls). Unknown callers are set up to get stopped at GV screening and have to record their name to be forwarded. I've found that this stops 99% of all spam callers, and those doing business with us don't mind the hurdle. GV also allows me to block spam callers. They may either go to voice mail, or hear that the number is not in service (haven't put one to voice mail yet, all have gone to not in service).

We use the GV app on our android phones when making calls to avoid people and services capturing our cell phone numbers (shows GV number on caller IDs). Also verifies we are the caller to services requiring caller ID to be our (old) home phone number.

GV app allows us to use only one phone number with all cell phones - all cell phone numbers are masked with the GV number. Eliminates having to notify family/friends of new cell phone service/numbers. I have GV transcribe/forward all voice mails and it forwards all texts. If I'm on the internet, all I have to do is have Gmail open in another tab and VG verification texts (and others using text verification) show up immediately.
fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:36 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz View Post
We ported our home phone number to a cell phone and then to GV (GV still doesn't take landline numbers IIRC). Family/Contacts have one number calling, and those calls go directly to our cell phones-that we select (can turn on/off which cell phones to receive GV calls). Unknown callers are set up to get stopped at GV screening and have to record their name to be forwarded. I've found that this stops 99% of all spam callers, and those doing business with us don't mind the hurdle. GV also allows me to block spam callers. They may either go to voice mail, or hear that the number is not in service (haven't put one to voice mail yet, all have gone to not in service).

We use the GV app on our android phones when making calls to avoid people and services capturing our cell phone numbers (shows GV number on caller IDs). Also verifies we are the caller to services requiring caller ID to be our (old) home phone number.

GV app allows us to use only one phone number with all cell phones - all cell phone numbers are masked with the GV number. Eliminates having to notify family/friends of new cell phone service/numbers. I have GV transcribe/forward all voice mails and it forwards all texts. If I'm on the internet, all I have to do is have Gmail open in another tab and VG verification texts (and others using text verification) show up immediately.
Does the GV app use a data connection or does it work over the cellular voice network?
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:53 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
Does the GV app use a data connection or does it work over the cellular voice network?
When you make a cell call - it will make the call via GV (cell will call through GV number). If for some reason GV cannot make the call through GV, it will ask you if you want to retry, or just use your normal cell phone direct. I've found that I can get around this issue by activating data (I normally keep data turned off while traveling, and keep my cell phone plan just cell/text-no data when at home). I use Republic wireless, and cell calls at home are normally GV via wifi, but regular out and about calls are cell via GV as well. The issue is GV will sometimes display on the phone a failure to connect to GV (must be sign-in issue related to its system - maybe a gmail/contacts issue). I normally have no data active when I make GV calls - just acts up every now and then. Overall works pretty good and GV is free (for now).
Old 02-20-2015, 03:06 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz View Post
When you make a cell call - it will make the call via GV (cell will call through GV number). If for some reason GV cannot make the call through GV, it will ask you if you want to retry, or just use your normal cell phone direct. I've found that I can get around this issue by activating data (I normally keep data turned off while traveling, and keep my cell phone plan just cell/text-no data when at home). I use Republic wireless, and cell calls at home are normally GV via wifi, but regular out and about calls are cell via GV as well. The issue is GV will sometimes display on the phone a failure to connect to GV (must be sign-in issue related to its system - maybe a gmail/contacts issue). I normally have no data active when I make GV calls - just acts up every now and then. Overall works pretty good and GV is free (for now).
Edit/add:
Appears that the GV ap does cell to cell calls w/o signing in, but calls to land line numbers look for Gmail to sign-in to complete the call using GV ap (active data plan required). We're down in Florida for winter, and using data plan and cell calling (no wifi calling available). Will have to see how it works when we return in March when we are connected to wifi at home and out and about with only cell service (no data service plan). Probably the way it works here, is how it will work at home. All wifi calls (cell or landline) on GV ap, but only cell to cell (no landline calls) w/o data service while out and about.

To make a landline call using GV with just cell phone service - access your GV account via your cell phone(s) to make the landline calls.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:03 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Vanguard iPhone app. now supports TouchID. But when you enable it, it no longer uses 2FA.

I left feedback at Vanguard.com to suggest they combine both still.

Also the iPad app. was updated but doesn't support TouchID, despite recent iPads having TouchID. Also left feedback about that too.
Vanguard 2-step verification
Old 06-28-2016, 05:45 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Vanguard 2-step verification

Finally! TOUCH ID.. Wait, it doesn't work at all.. How can they roll out this piece of S***
jetpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 06:06 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpack View Post
Finally! TOUCH ID.. Wait, it doesn't work at all.. How can they roll out this piece of S***

Works fine for me. IPhone 6S & iOS 9.3.2.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:08 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectiveBum View Post
Works fine for me. IPhone 6S & iOS 9.3.2.

Works for me too identical specs.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 03:48 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Read this thread, installed update and it works for me on my iPhone 6.
upset264 is offline   Reply With Quote