Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-02-2021, 03:21 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Over the past couple weeks that I log into Vanguard it requires that I input a code that it sends to my cellphone... even though each time I have done it I clicked the box that this is a private computer that I plan to use to log on. Very annoying.

I checked my security code settings and it is set for "Only when Vanguard doesn't recognize my computer or device" so I'm not sure why it does it every time.

I don't get that on Vanguard but my Credit Union never "remembers" my computer. Agree it's very annoying and I log into my CU much more frequently than Vanguard... I probably just jinxed myself on Vanguard.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2021, 05:58 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Over the past couple weeks that I log into Vanguard it requires that I input a code that it sends to my cellphone... even though each time I have done it I clicked the box that this is a private computer that I plan to use to log on. Very annoying.

I checked my security code settings and it is set for "Only when Vanguard doesn't recognize my computer or device" so I'm not sure why it does it every time.
I've also had the same experience a few days ago, but it seems to have settled down (i.e. the last few times I've logged into Vanguard it hasn't sent a security code).
KarenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 07:34 AM   #23

Quote:

Maybe you’re not accepting cookies or they are being cleaned as a part of some software functionality (antivirus for example).
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 07:54 AM   #24

Whenever Windows pushes an update about half the sites I log into force re-validation so whatever validation algorithm they use (apparently more than just cookies) notices the change to my computer. Same with any change to network hardware. I don't mind the mild hassle to get up and grab my phone if it reduces my risk.
Old 12-02-2021, 08:23 AM   #25

Quote:
Not getting that on my phone but I am getting it on my desktop. Clicking the "remember me" box doesn't seem to make any difference. And it's only happening on Vanguard's site, not any others, so it must be an issue on their end.
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 09:10 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
Not getting that on my phone but I am getting it on my desktop. Clicking the "remember me" box doesn't seem to make any difference. And it's only happening on Vanguard's site, not any others, so it must be an issue on their end.
One never knows what's going on behind the security curtains of these financial companies. They don't like that kind of publicity. If Vanguard is undergoing some type of threat or thinks it might be on the horizon, they may have decided to tighten things up for a while. IMO, that's the responsible way to handle it. Having to enter that code a few extra times a week or month is far easier than having to deal with vanished funds .

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 11:09 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
A properly done app on a secured device such as an iPad or iPhone is probably more secure than the best desktop or laptop computer. I'm not saying it's 100% secure, just more secure than most desk or laptop computers.
As always, YMMV.

A lot of folks have Android phones these days, and I've observed that the vendors only seem to issue Android O.S. updates for a specific phone for a couple of years.

So, if you're one of those people that keeps a phone for longer than a couple of years (I'm looking in the mirror right now), you might not have the benefit of some security patches.

Not to be argumentative, but how do I find out which phone apps are "properly done"? Vanguard's probably is, but I'm not so sure I trust TMobile anymore when it comes to anything security related. Properly done seems like a best guess/hope/prayer.
RetiredAt55.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 11:43 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Resident Luddite, again: I would perform ALL financial transactions in person (if that were possible - obviously, not with Vanguard) or by phone - JUST possible but inconvenient as all get out at Vanguard. I've compromised and use my lap-top for most things at VG. Not even considering using my phone.

Luddite signing off, so YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 11:48 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I finally got the update. Generally okay except for one big annoyance. The app doesn’t let me view one of our 5 accounts, my inherited traditional IRA. No idea why. I can view the inherited Roth just fine. I get a pop up says my I have to use the website. That’s almost 600K that is blinded to me through the app.
Maybe the inherited trad IRA is the old style account? Vanguard has two styles, and they've been working for years to migrate everyone to the new style account. It would make sense that the app only supports new style accounts.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 11:51 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
Maybe the inherited trad IRA is the old style account? Vanguard has two styles, and they've been working for years to migrate everyone to the new style account. It would make sense that the app only supports new style accounts.
I have an old style inherited IRA account. In the app, I can see the balance, but if I select the account I get a popup saying "Coming soon. You'll be able to access details for this type of account in the app shortly. Until then, view your account details by visiting vanguard.com."

So the app is aware of old style accounts and is limited in how much info is displayed for the account.

I'm surprised they're even planning on supporting the old style accounts. Seems like it would be a good reason to try and get people to update to the new style account.

And in my case, I've tried to transition this account multiple times, but it always takes me to a forms page at which point I lose interest. I don't care either way and if they don't make it easy, then I'll keep it the way it is.
Old 12-04-2021, 11:56 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulak View Post
And in my case, I've tried to transition this account multiple times, but it always takes me to a forms page at which point I lose interest. I don't care either way and if they don't make it easy, then I'll keep it the way it is.
So I looked and apparently there is a form that you have to fill out, probably specific to IRAs since I didn't do this for any other account.

I filled out the info - with too many questions - at which point they gave me a downloadable pre-populated form with the following instructions:

Here’s all that’s left to do
1. Print the Transition from a Mutual Fund IRA to a Brokerage IRA Account form. (You can also access the form from your secure message center).
2. You must sign and date the form.
3. Mail your completed form to the address listed on page 12 of the Transition from a Mutual Fund IRA to a Brokerage IRA Account form.

Yeah, that sounds like a lot of work for no real benefit. Guess this account is not getting "upgraded."
Old 12-05-2021, 06:22 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
The inherited trad IRA was opened in June 2021 at the same time I opened the inherited Roth IRA and I can view that one just fine.
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 08:11 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I got an update to the Vanguard app (iOS) today.

My take? Two thumbs down hard. The prior version made it easy to browse available funds/ETFs. No longer (at least as far as I can tell)!
+1
I was very happy with the previous version.
I had a watchlist of funds and it was easy to browse funds etc.
That functionality appears to be gone.
If anyone finds a way to access this via the new app please share.

Regards,
DangerDad
DangerDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 09:13 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Promises, promises.

From the support section (FAQ) on the Vanguard app:

Quote:
What’s next for the Vanguard app?

We have a variety of new features in the works. Soon, we’ll be bringing back Research so you can search for mutual funds and ETFs within the Vanguard app. We’re also working to implement push notifications and expanded educational offerings.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 09:36 AM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

"What’s next for the Vanguard app?

We have a variety of new features in the works. Soon, we’ll be bringing back Research so you can search for mutual funds and ETFs within the Vanguard app. We’re also working to implement push notifications and expanded educational offerings."

Hmmm, researching for funds/ETF's and reading educational stuff.

Are a lot of people clamoring to do that on a phone?
RetiredAt55.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 09:40 AM   #36

Quote:
I finally got the update. Generally okay except for one big annoyance. The app doesn’t let me view one of our 5 accounts, my inherited traditional IRA. No idea why. I can view the inherited Roth just fine. I get a pop up says my I have to use the website. That’s almost 600K that is blinded to me through the app.
Yes, I have the same issue, although mine isn't as BIG as yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
I know I'm one of our resident Luddites, but I have a home computer. Why do I need an phone app. from VG? I've seen too many stories of apps. leading to all kinds of hacking or other mischief. If I need to DO something when I'm "out and about" then my situation is too complicated or tenuous. It can wait until I get home to switch on the Laptop. I know I'm in the minority here, so YMMV.
The phone app is handy for taking a peek, but I'm like you, I'm not going to make any noteworthy transactions on my phone. I have a nice Mac desktop with a big monitor and a user friendly keyboard where I can use all my digits and see what I'm doing. Just not going to do that on my phone.
Old 12-09-2021, 10:30 AM   #37

I’m afraid they’ll change the iPad app as well.
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 10:11 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
I’m afraid they’ll change the iPad app as well.

New iPad version was there when I signed in tonight. I like it myself so far. Showed each Vanguard account with totals. And performance for each as well as total. YMMV
Gulfbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 04:14 PM   #39

Okay, I was so mad about the update that I gave the app one star on the Apple Store, and said they should fire the entire app development team. It sure is pretty, but it's also almost completely worthless!
Old 01-21-2022, 03:03 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

It looks like the Vanguard app (iOS, anyway) now has a “Research” section that can show info about funds you do not own.

Still not as good as prior versions but a step in the right direction.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote