Join Early Retirement Today

Vanguard app update
Old 10-30-2021, 08:19 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Vanguard app update

I got an update to the Vanguard app (iOS) today.

My take? Two thumbs down hard. The prior version made it easy to browse available funds/ETFs. No longer (at least as far as I can tell)!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2021, 08:35 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Others are slamming the update pretty hard over on the Bogleheads forum too. Personally, for what I do on my mobile devices, I kind of like the new UI. But I don't do research or trading on these devices. I'll use the computer if I want to do those things. For a quick glance at what my current investments are doing, I find the app to be very usable on both the iPhone and iPad. Everyone will have their own opinion.
PaunchyPirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 08:42 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaunchyPirate View Post
Others are slamming the update pretty hard over on the Bogleheads forum too. Personally, for what I do on my mobile devices, I kind of like the new UI. But I don't do research or trading on these devices. I'll use the computer if I want to do those things. For a quick glance at what my current investments are doing, I find the app to be very usable on both the iPhone and iPad. Everyone will have their own opinion.

Makes sense. I use(d) the app a lot to check YTD return on what I view as benchmark funds even though I don’t actually own any.

Old 10-30-2021, 08:48 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Got the android version a couple weeks ago and it's useless as t*ts on a boar hog.

I'd like to check my Vanguard balance when I log on. The recent change doesn't allow me to see my total Vanguard amount! The most important thing they show me is my net worth. WTF? I wanted to see Vanguard information not my screwed up net worth.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Vanguard app update
Old 10-30-2021, 08:55 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Vanguard app update

It appears you now have to log in to your Vanguard account to see anything…

Old 10-30-2021, 10:55 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Fido is updating their app also. They are pushing an optional beta trial and it appears they are soliciting feedback and tweaking the product. I think they eliminated the general markets news resource or buried it somewhere.
Old 10-30-2021, 11:07 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

I already sent in feedback along these lines. It is an attempt to be slick without being useful.
Dd852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 11:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Got the android version a couple weeks ago and it's useless as t*ts on a boar hog.

I'd like to check my Vanguard balance when I log on. The recent change doesn't allow me to see my total Vanguard amount! The most important thing they show me is my net worth. WTF? I wanted to see Vanguard information not my screwed up net worth.

I don’t understand this. I got the update this morning. When I log into the app I can see the balance in each of my accounts (Roth/tIRA/brokerage) and if I scroll down it shows my total assets at Vanguard.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 12:56 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
I don’t understand this. I got the update this morning. When I log into the app I can see the balance in each of my accounts (Roth/tIRA/brokerage) and if I scroll down it shows my total assets at Vanguard.
It lists my investable assets in a graph. Later they list my accounts, both Vanguard and the static data I gave them about other accounts. Nowhere is there a total for Vanguard! A simple total would help with the balance but there's all kinds of Lost Functionality too! Tap behind any of the totals and you'll likely get a message telling you they're working on this.

If they would give me the functionality Fidelity does on their new interface it would be great. I've been using Fidelity's new mobile in beta. Hey sometimes it breaks and I'll try the old mobile it works. No big deal I document the issue and go on. To me this thing Vanguard dumped on me smells like a big t*rd.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 01:33 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
It appears you now have to log in to your Vanguard account to see anything…

Why is that bad? It sounds like good security practice to me. What am I missing?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 02:00 PM   #11

Just a reminder. People on this thread are already talking about 2 different apps — the Apple iOS one and the Android one. Perhaps 3 versions if you count iPad OS. It is entirely reasonable that they don’t both offer exactly the same functionality at the same time.

I suspect the iOS version is further along in development than the Android version. So be sure you are comparing apples to apples.
PaunchyPirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 02:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Why is that bad? It sounds like good security practice to me. What am I missing?
You could always research funds and stuff without logging in. Sounds like you can’t anymore. I haven’t updated yet so I haven’t seen the new version.
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Vanguard app update
Old 10-30-2021, 02:37 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Vanguard app update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post

It’s inconvenient. I’m only interested in public information about funds whether I own them or not. Not my holdings for which it makes sense to require logging in.

There are other ways to access that public information of course.

Old 11-01-2021, 10:19 AM   #14

I've had the new app on my Pixel 5 android smartphone for a few weeks now. It's true that I have to login to do anything in the app, but fingerprint authentication is now enabled, so it's a non issue.

It also seems true that I can't research Vanguard funds on the app to look at distribution history, top ten holdings, standardized total return, etc.
I thought I was able to do this in the old app, so that's a loss.

I can always go to vanguard.com on the web to do that sort of research, but that sort of thing works better on a PC rather than a smartphone, for me.

I am able to transfer $$ to my settlement account, buy mutual funds, and setup limit orders for ETFs in the app just fine...
TheWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 08:49 AM   #15

I finally got the update. Generally okay except for one big annoyance. The app doesn’t let me view one of our 5 accounts, my inherited traditional IRA. No idea why. I can view the inherited Roth just fine. I get a pop up says my I have to use the website. That’s almost 600K that is blinded to me through the app.
Old 12-01-2021, 07:21 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I know I'm one of our resident Luddites, but I have a home computer. Why do I need an phone app. from VG? I've seen too many stories of apps. leading to all kinds of hacking or other mischief. If I need to DO something when I'm "out and about" then my situation is too complicated or tenuous. It can wait until I get home to switch on the Laptop. I know I'm in the minority here, so YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 08:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
I know I'm one of our resident Luddites, but I have a home computer. Why do I need an phone app. from VG? I've seen too many stories of apps. leading to all kinds of hacking or other mischief. If I need to DO something when I'm "out and about" then my situation is too complicated or tenuous. It can wait until I get home to switch on the Laptop. I know I'm in the minority here, so YMMV.
I don’t conduct transactions on my phone but if I just want to check my balances, it’s way quicker to use my phone for that.
Old 12-01-2021, 08:31 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Over the past couple weeks that I log into Vanguard it requires that I input a code that it sends to my cellphone... even though each time I have done it I clicked the box that this is a private computer that I plan to use to log on. Very annoying.

I checked my security code settings and it is set for "Only when Vanguard doesn't recognize my computer or device" so I'm not sure why it does it every time.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 08:35 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
A properly done app on a secured device such as an iPad or iPhone is probably more secure than the best desktop or laptop computer. I'm not saying it's 100% secure, just more secure than most desk or laptop computers.

If I had to use to do some important work while at a coffe shop that provided internet service (which I would never do in real life) I would prefer doing it on my iPad - or better yet on my iPhone using the mobile network - than on my Mac or Windows machine.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 11:45 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
I'm the same, I don't do banking or stocks on my phone. It's too awkward to type, and the screen is small, and most important, I carry my phone all over town. One day it will get stolen/lost.

My computer is big, 2 screens easy to see, and a thief isn't going to steal my home computer as it's a big box. I also back it up regularly. And it's encrypted so safe if they steal it.