Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-16-2013, 03:03 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
For those of us with the bulk of our money not at Vanguard... and who want/need premiere

I compared the non-flagship discounts to Costco and to turbotax.com.
Costco has the best price, followed by Vanguard. Buying direct from TT was the most expensive.
I always purchase from amazon.com. I haven't checked with Costco yet, so thanks!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2013, 03:22 PM   #42

Last time I looked, Costco and Amazon had the same price, and Amazon offered free shipping.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:16 AM   #43

For non-Flagship, the Vanguard price is not the cheapest. If I understand the Amazon deal, if you buy TT from Amazon, you can apply some of your federal refund to an Amazon gift card and they will add an extra 10%. Normally, I try and have a zero dollar refund, but this year, because of things beyond my control, I may have a pretty hefty refund. So, if I apply $1,000 to this, I will get an extra $100. I am not so good at shopping and understanding deals. Can y'all (or youse guys) see if I have it right?
Z3Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:24 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3Dreamer View Post
For non-Flagship, the Vanguard price is not the cheapest. If I understand the Amazon deal, if you buy TT from Amazon, you can apply some of your federal refund to an Amazon gift card and they will add an extra 10%. Normally, I try and have a zero dollar refund, but this year, because of things beyond my control, I may have a pretty hefty refund. So, if I apply $1,000 to this, I will get an extra $100. I am not so good at shopping and understanding deals. Can y'all (or youse guys) see if I have it right?
Amazon and Costco have the same price.
But Amazon has the deal where they'll "up" the refund by 10% if you apply your refund (or part of a refund) to an amazon card. So it limits what you can do with the money (has to be spent at Amazon) - but if you shop at amazon a lot it's a good deal.

I'll probably owe, so the deal won't do much for me.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:41 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Amazon doesn't cost any gas money or wear and tear on your car or require you to stand in lines.

I'm not a big shopper and really did not enjoy the Costco experience. I was frustrated by the need to buy more to save as Costco seems to push this model. But for a big family maybe it works out well.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:16 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

I just compared the TurboTax Vanguard deal to Costco's price, Costco was cheaper .. "hands down" particularly when you need file a state return like I do.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:30 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
I just compared the TurboTax Vanguard deal to Costco's price, Costco was cheaper .. "hands down" particularly when you need file a state return like I do.
Costco was cheaper than free?
Old 12-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Costco was cheaper than free?
How do they do it?
Volume!
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:15 PM   #49
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
How do they do it?
Volume!

Brings back memories of working in pricing. Nothing was considered funnier than the sales folks arguing to sell a product at a loss, always saying "We'll make it up on volume". One pricing manager took that and made it into a wall plaque, then painted a giant red "X" across it.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:29 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post

Brings back memories of working in pricing. Nothing was considered funnier than the sales folks arguing to sell a product at a loss...........
Yes, it does bring back memories...we used to do this with copper water tube when I worked in the metals manufacturing business.....all those plants are closed now.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:18 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Amazon doesn't cost any gas money or wear and tear on your car or require you to stand in lines.

I'm not a big shopper and really did not enjoy the Costco experience. I was frustrated by the need to buy more to save as Costco seems to push this model. But for a big family maybe it works out well.
Costco is online, right?

But I went with Amazon.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:53 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Maybe Costco has progressed to compete with Amazon online.

My experiences were a few years back and to be honest we have an old, drafty warehouse store here that they work out of. I've seen a photo of a new store that actually looked modern with decent lighting. I don't want to offend anyone who likes Costco, just didn't work for us.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:05 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Maybe Costco has progressed to compete with Amazon online.

My experiences were a few years back and to be honest we have an old, drafty warehouse store here that they work out of. I've seen a photo of a new store that actually looked modern with decent lighting. I don't want to offend anyone who likes Costco, just didn't work for us.
You can shop online. The software would be delivered in a box. Don't have to go into the warehouse. But you're not a member, I think, so you'd have to go for a membership, and that doesn't make sense at this point.

I have 2013 Turbotax Home and Business now, and that was quick. Costco does not have a download option, so one more reason to go with Amazon.

One glitch--evidently credit card companies are on heightened awareness. So I got a cryptic message from Amex after using the card for this purchase. Amazon has no idea why, so another shoe will drop on this "easy" purchase!

At least I can get started on the 3 individual taxes and business forms I need to do this year.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:47 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Read carefully the 'free' offering of TurboTax through Vanguard. It certainty won't be free for me because I need a State return. It looks like it is free if you use a 1040EZ Fed only.

It may be that your assets at Vanguard are much greater than mine but if that is the case a 1040EZ is not likely your return of choice.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:53 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Read carefully the 'free' offering of TurboTax through Vanguard.
You mean this?
Quote:
Flagship Services and Asset Management Services clients will receive complimentary access to the Federal: Basic, Federal: Deluxe, and State: Basic products.
https://personal.vanguard.com/us/ins...r/qdi/turbotax
Old 12-20-2013, 03:34 PM   #56

I'm confused. VG is no discount compared to Amazon for downloading TT for both federal and state with efile. Both are $49.99 for non-flagship clients. Moreover, as stated in a post above, apply your refund to an Amazon gift card and Amazon will add an extra 10% (i.e., $500 refund becomes $550). Seems to me Amazon is a better deal when applying a fed refund to a gift card, or even same deal without it.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:19 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Yet again for clarification...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (100.1 KB, 30 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:32 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Has anyone here who's a Vanguard Flagship client tried to purchase the desktop download (not online) version of TurboTax Premier via the Vanguard site?

By following the link from my Vanguard account, the site initially shows the $9.99 price for flagship clients, but then when I click on "buy now" it brings up a price of $89.99, the non-discounted list price.
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:43 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Last time I looked, Costco and Amazon had the same price, and Amazon offered free shipping.
Last year Costco had a $10 rebate on Turbotax at some time in the spring. That's when we bought it. I was kind of hoping to see that again.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:49 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
Has anyone here who's a Vanguard Flagship client tried to purchase the desktop download (not online) version of TurboTax Premier via the Vanguard site?

By following the link from my Vanguard account, the site initially shows the $9.99 price for flagship clients, but then when I click on "buy now" it brings up a price of $89.99, the non-discounted list price.
Are you logged in? This is what I got after clicking "buy now":
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TTax.JPG (61.6 KB, 24 views)