Vanguard, Fidelity, and everybody else

This is what I do and it is very easy to use. All you need is the account login details for the other accounts. They get updated automatically every 24 hrs, and you can always click "refresh accounts", if you wish, for an immediate update.

Alan - I have this set up but all my updates from outside financial sites have "broken" in the past year or two when they went to requiring a two-step login process (the kind where you look at the picture on the 2nd screen, just like VGs). Have you faced the same issue?

Alan - I have this set up but all my updates from outside financial sites have "broken" in the past year or two when they went to requiring a two-step login process (the kind where you look at the picture on the 2nd screen, just like VGs). Have you faced the same issue?
I'm not Alan :cool: , but DW's accounts (two screen signon) works fine, for me on the VG side, along with FIDO's single screen signon.

Same thing for the FIDO side (full view), which imports four different IRA accounts for me/DW from VG.

Of course, FIDO uses Yodlee code "under the covers", so if it can be imported using Yodlee, it will work for FIDO imports. FE uses a different product for account access.

This is what I do and it is very easy to use. All you need is the account login details for the other accounts. They get updated automatically every 24 hrs, and you can always click "refresh accounts", if you wish, for an immediate update.
I just tried this and something's not right. It basically asks me to enter the # shares and symbol, then adds it to the page. It does not give me any opportunity to select my wife's VG fund. What if she buys more shares....it won't show on my screen. I must be doing something wrong.

I just tried this and something's not right. It basically asks me to enter the # shares and symbol, then adds it to the page. It does not give me any opportunity to select my wife's VG fund. What if she buys more shares....it won't show on my screen. I must be doing something wrong.
Call Vanguard and ask the rep. They probably need an authorization from your wife for you to see her accounts. On my logon I see our joint taxable account as well as her IRA. I can do transaction in the joint account but not her IRA. She has to logon directly to her account to do transactions in her IRA. I believe we did this with a call to VG. I also have the feature where you add shares from external accounts to do a total portfolio analysis but you have to manually update those shares.

I also have the feature where you add shares from external accounts to do a total portfolio analysis but you have to manually update those shares.
You should not have to if you use the "link outside accounts" feature (if you are authorized).

DW/me have seven different accounts (between VG/FIDO) and all link/update to current holding/values under my account view.

You should not have to if you use the "link outside accounts" feature (if you are authorized).

DW/me have seven different accounts (between VG/FIDO) and all link/update to current holding/values under my account view.
Thanks, I forgot that. Thinking back I realize I chose not to link the outside accounts. I am leery of sharing account login data between sites. That is why I don't use sites like Mint.com and never allowed Quicken to access my financial accounts.

But in my case, the "outside" accounts are at VG! Do they still consider that an "outside" account?

I'm on the phone with VG now, but they won't do much without my DW being on the phone too....and she's not available (probably making out her bucket list for when we FIRE :cool:).

I'll update later.

But in my case, the "outside" accounts are at VG! Do they still consider that an "outside" account?
I would think any account that you don't own jointly, or have legal access to (via POA) would be considered "outside". Of course, I'm not VG and that's just my opinion :cool: ...

Yes, having your DW/DH around to give an okey dokey to the person on the other end of the phone is a PIA, but then I understand where there are a lot of "family situations" that would not allow such easy sharing of information.

I still remember the problems we had transfering DW's 403(b) (from a j*b, 20 years ago) to VG as a rollover to her TIRA. We learned a lot concerning the fact that a 403(b) is not the same (legally) as a 401(k) and involved a lot of paperwork outside of what you would think is just a normal rollover between "like" financial products. I could not do a thing until she would get home from w*rk to give her approval to the folks at VG and her 403(b) provider.

Last edited:
Update:

It's called an "agent authorization". The person who's account will be viewed is the one that must initiate, so my DW had to log into her account and say "I want to give permission to Dave". Then, I logged into my account and I had a "message" saying Terry wanted to give me permission, did I want to accept this? I said "No, I don't trust that person".

Just kidding...

It's all set up, and now I can see all info in one place. Took about 10 minutes total. For some reason the balance seems bigger when it's all together. :dance:

Thanks for the tip!!!

Update: I decided to go on Vanguard site to try this again today. After a bunch of attempts I found that I couldn't do it from the main screen view but finally ended up with a pop-up window that gave me my "security questions" from the outside site and it's all hunky dory again. Unfortunately, it was an odd sequence of selections that got me there so I'm not sure I can reproduce it if something changes.

I was surprised last year my fidelity funds had done better than Vanguards'.

However, Vanguard regains the place in the sun in my book. After the wild gyrations in the market in the last 10 days, both my own portfolio and Fidelty Funds are still down from the levels 2 weeks ago, but Vanguard was up. I still think Fidelity's out performance last year may be a fluke.

I was surprised last year my fidelity funds had done better than Vanguards'.

However, Vanguard regains the place in the sun in my book. After the wild gyrations in the market in the last 10 days, both my own portfolio and Fidelty Funds are still down from the levels 2 weeks ago, but Vanguard was up. I still think Fidelity's out performance last year may be a fluke.

i like troweprice

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom