Join Early Retirement Today

Vanguard Flagship
Old 12-11-2014, 04:52 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Vanguard Flagship

So my account balances at Vanguard have been in the "two comma club" for some time now, and I noticed that my account was still classified as "Voyager".

I sent a message to them last Friday, asking why my account was not Flagship status.

Today, I get a response from them with the following statement (below).

Seriously? I have to point it out to them and then it takes them "a few weeks" to confirm it?

"Since you indicated that you meet the criteria for becoming a Flagship
client, we have forwarded your request to Flagship's Enrollment Team. If
enrolled, you will be contacted in a few weeks by the Flagship
representative assigned to you."
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2014, 05:17 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I bet Edward Jones wouldn't be so rude. I hear they even give you a birthday card!
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:24 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

What is so great about Flagship status that makes you want it right now?
zesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zesty View Post
Come on, do you really want to ride on the Nina or the Pinta when you could be in the champagne room of the Santa Maria?
soupcxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 06:21 PM   #5

Just another example of Vanguard's "administrative excellence"
nwsteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 06:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zesty View Post
So I can rub elbows with the elite? Emblazon the logo on my polo jersey?

Seriously, I was looking into the specifics of getting the TT software this year, saw the "perk" (if you can call it that) breakdown of the different tiers, and then realized that my account wasn't classified as such.

It wasn't because I thought it was great or that anything made me want it right now, I just wanted to be correct in the same sense I would want to point out that they had my phone number or other information wrong.

Wouldn't have thought anything else about it except that their reply really seemed unusual.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:28 PM   #7

Are all your funds in vanguard MF or ETFs? they don't count dollars in other fund company products.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 06:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
Are all your funds in vanguard MF or ETFs? they don't count dollars in other fund company products.
100% Vanguard.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:46 PM   #9

You're not alone - had to tell them when my accounts hit admiral, and when I crested the flagship requirements. Maybe things are different when you hit Flagship Select
fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:16 PM   #10

I've read that they automatically change your status at the end of the quarter and if you want it sooner you have to contact them. Not sure if it's true or not, but it would make sense.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:32 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That's funny about getting TurboTax (TT) for free just because one is Vanguard Flagship. Over on the bogleheads forum, lots of folks got TT free just because they are bogleheads even if they had no money at Vanguard.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:34 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

After rolling over my 401k last month, I'm flagship I guess? But is it noted somewhere? My contact at Vanguard is setting me up with free senior financial advisor to do an entire plan for me at no cost, including expenses, running projections, etc. She said it was due to my assets. Where can I look to see if there are any other perks?

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk
Debinnov a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Over on the bogleheads forum, lots of folks got TT free just because they are bogleheads even if they had no money at Vanguard.
How?
Old 12-11-2014, 07:38 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking4Ward View Post
How?
I saw there was a glitch for a few hours on the TT website, looked like it gave everyone Premier for $10. It wasn't restricted to just people at Bogleheads, though.
zesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:43 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I was told that you had to have the balance in Vanguard funds.... IOW, if you have a brokerage account that does not count if you are investing in individual stocks or ETFs....

Another is that you have to be above for awhile... IOW, the day you pass the $1 mill mark is not the day you get in.... you could go below the next day... they want to see that you are over and will stay over...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:09 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I was told that you had to have the balance in Vanguard funds.... IOW, if you have a brokerage account that does not count if you are investing in individual stocks or ETFs.
Correct.
Snidely Whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I was told that you had to have the balance in Vanguard funds.... IOW, if you have a brokerage account that does not count if you are investing in individual stocks or ETFs....
I would hope that they include vanguard ETFs in the brokerage account. Otherwise I'm never getting to flagship (Not that flagship is so great or anything).
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:47 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
I would hope that they include vanguard ETFs in the brokerage account. Otherwise I'm never getting to flagship (Not that flagship is so great or anything).
From Vanguard's website:

Quote:
We determine eligibility by aggregating assets of all qualifying accounts held by the investor and his or her immediate family members who reside at the same address, including investments in Vanguard mutual funds, Vanguard ETFs®, certain annuities through Vanguard, The Vanguard 529 Plan, and certain small-business accounts. Assets in employer-sponsored retirement plans for which Vanguard provides recordkeeping services may be included in determining eligibility if the investor also has a personal account holding Vanguard mutual funds. Vanguard ETFs and Vanguard mutual funds held in a Vanguard Brokerage Account are also included when determining a household's eligibility;
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:25 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I don't know if Schwab still has this offer, but a few months ago I saw their offer of $2500 cash if you deposit or move $1M into an account with them. That's more than the price of TT.

They also have ETFs that have zero trading fees, some even with lower expense ratios than those of Vanguard ETFs or MFs.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:01 PM   #20

There is not much benefit for moving from Voyager Select to Flagship.

I love Vanguard but I will probably never get Flagship because none of the following that I have will count toward the limit:

* Bonds held at Vanguard but in Treasuries, TIPs and Brokered CDs.
* Non-Vanguard ETFs/Funds held at Vanguard
* I keep some assets at Schwab for diversification
* I keep some assets in Bank CDs
* I-bonds don't count
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote