Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-23-2020, 06:12 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I base my business/financial decisions on how I am treated, not how some people perceive their treatment and results. I have been with Vanguard for 6 years and find them to be competent. I can't judge that based on other brokers, but I am sure they are competent as well. I really dislike the Cubs, but I still think they are a good team!!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2020, 06:40 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

I just hope of some of my accounts at Vanguard move/transfer over smoothly & in a timely manner.

I have started with my tax deferred accounts first so that tax basis is one thing less to worry about.
rkser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:45 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My only complaints about VG, is they do not have a Brick and Mortar office to go to if one wants to talk to someone.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:07 AM   #24

We've been with VG for ~25 years. Can't say DH or me ever had a bad experience. Bought and sold stock, transferred from checking account incoming and outgoing, bought CD's, had many discussions with CS and our Flagship rep. They're always respectful when we're on a speaker phone (DH/me interrupting each other). Deposited funds from the sale of one house, no issues. Changed funds multiple times, no issues. But that's just our experience.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:23 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
My only complaints about VG, is they do not have a Brick and Mortar office to go to if one wants to talk to someone.
You use to be able to go to their headquarters in PA, not sure if they do that anymore.
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 11:21 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post

That’s one of the ways they strive to be the low cost leader across all of their services and funds, not just a few loss-leader funds to set the hook.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 11:27 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
That’s one of the ways they strive to be the low cost leader across all of their services and funds, not just a few loss-leader funds to set the hook.
True. And it works; a customer tradeoff between high service and lower prices.

Three years ago +/- I wrote and distributed an RFP for investment advisors to run about $5M for a nonrofit I'm involved with. VG was one of the six companies we sent it to and, no real surprise, were the lowest cost at 40bps. As it turned out, we went with a firm having a higher service model but costing us 58bps. We are getting the high service and are very happy but the comparison makes the VG strategy clear. None of the other responders was even close to 40bps.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:22 PM   #28

Vanguard would be considered more than adequate if it were not for Schwab and Fidelity.
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 06:44 PM   #29
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ1_ View Post
Spouse had an IRA CD come due with company x. She transferred it to Ally and Vanguard. It took 2 days to get to Ally and after 6 weeks Vanguard
said the got it (I got it meaning FLOAT?) and will take 48 more hours to process.
Reminds me of the famous saying "Never give you customer a reason to look elsewhere"

just our experience

ALLY is an FDIC insured Bank.

Vanguard in not a bank.
sadie1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:04 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I have accounts at Schwab, Fidelity, and Vanguard.

In April 2020, I rolled my company profit sharing plan to a Vanguard IRA. My company mailed a check to the “cheapest” address, but it only took a couple days.

The advisor rightly convinced me to put the cash into the market rather than dollar cost average my way back I in. I’m very happy I listened to him in April.

A few months later I decided to rollover most of my 401k to Vanguard and self-manage.

Fidelity sent it first class mail because I foolishly didn’t want to pay for express shipping. It took about 10 calendar days to reach my house. Fidelity would not send it to Vanguard.

I then sent the check, over the weekend, first class mail. Another risk in hindsight, but it was in my account within a couple of days. My advisor said I could mirror what he does in the first account and not pay the 0.3% fee so I am. He makes the same salary.

In my experience, all 3 have suffered live customer service issues when I call, due to the pandemic.

Vanguard told me before I chose them that they run a lean operation, without the overhead of a 24x7 operation and the brick & mortar branches. I lowered my expectations.

The Fidelity rep I was transferred to was trying to convince me the branch in town was a consideration to not move the 401k. I replied that I’d been there, and the rep never followed up with me. He said “ I guess that doesn’t help my case” sheepishly.

I’ve been with Schwab since 1983 and like them.

I was forced to use Fidelity by my employer, and like the fact that they offer no fee HSA account. For my 401k choices determined by my employer, there are not enough options.

I like Vanguard’s philosophy, costs, value, and that it is owned by the customer. I accept the minor shortcomings from Schwab. They are not for active traders, and have followed up on every item we’ve discussed.
a60dan is offline   Reply With Quote