Vanguard International Value

Do not use in a taxable account.
Also look at EFV
I would purchase a small cap foreign fund before I bought a large cap value foreign fund.

Right now all of my international is in VWO, Vanguard's Emerging Markets ETF, and I feel like that's too overweighted EM but at the same time I don't want my money invested in countries like France and Japan that will probably grow even slower than the US in the future.

Which International fund do you like the most then International Growth, Value, Explorer, International Index, or some other fund?

Also, why not use these funds in a taxable account?

Thanks

Always start with an index fund. That means Vanguard FTSE all-world ex-US large cap and small cap funds (VFWIX, VFSVX aka VEU, VSS). They already have emerging markets in them. Vanguard has the total international index fund as well, but I think it does not have Canada in it.

If you already have emerging markets VWO which is a large cap fund, then add VEA which is the Europe,Asia, Far-east large cap index fund.

If you want small cap emerging markets, then VSS has some, but you can also buy DGS separately.

For most folks VEU and VSS is all they will ever need. If you wish to tilt to value, then VTRIX (in tax-advantaged) or EFV are ones I would choose.

Whenever trying to fill an asset class, please consult the ETFs and funds listed under DFA vs. Vanguard

I own:

VFWIX (VG FTSE all world ex US index) - that's my core international fund

with a sprinke of:
VFSVX (VG FTSE all wold ex-US small cap index) - small tilt
VTRIX ( VG International value) - value tilt

I personally would prefer an international value index, but VTRIX does the job. Just beware of the sometimes large capital gain distributions.

EFV is the international value index that you would prefer.

It's a core part of my international holdings. Just under 1/5 of the international component. All held in IRA's. It can be very tax inefficient when the market goes up. It is actively managed, so turnover is a little higher than a straight index fund, and gains are paid occasionally. I want to say they had a 10% CG distribution a couple years ago, which would be killer in a taxed account.

I would probably use EFV if my money wasn't at Vanguard already. Save a little on expense ratios. And the turnover is a little less.

Back
Top Bottom