Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-23-2021, 07:56 PM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
I think we have apples and oranges here. I interpreted @overthinkmuch's comment to refer to the recent eliminations of trading fees, not to low mutual fund fees where VG led for years.

Re "invented" my recollection from reading is that Wells Fargo gets credit for the index fund idea. One version I have read says that Rex Sinquefield was part of that. Later, he and David Booth went on to found DFA and to get very rich. I think that Bogle was possibly the first to offer an index fund to the public, mid 1970s, and it was an initial flop. A couple of histories Google just gave me: https://www.getrichslowly.org/history-of-index-funds/ and https://www.investmentnews.com/the-s...al-funds-69099
+1
It's mentioned but extremely important in 1960s, the date of the original unmanaged fund papers, the systems to make this happen didn't exist. Funds were extremely expensive to just to own as until the late 60s the ownership was tracked manually via spreadsheets. Cheaper ownership came as the industry added more systems to automate their business. In my career I saw many changes in how all fund companies serviced their customers.

Maybe we could go back to 1970 and enjoy the great services offered and see what it's like to walk uphill to work both ways in the snow while battling record heat waves.

If you asked a question about your investments and there wasn't immediately an answer from the limited data available your request went to "research" where people would comb through microfilm to try finding your paperwork. Maybe your paperwork was filmed and maybe it was lost.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2021, 07:02 AM   #122
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
+1
It's mentioned but extremely important in 1960s, the date of the original unmanaged fund papers, the systems to make this happen didn't exist. Funds were extremely expensive to just to own as until the late 60s the ownership was tracked manually via spreadsheets. Cheaper ownership came as the industry added more systems to automate their business. In my career I saw many changes in how all fund companies serviced their customers.
My head just exploded when I imagined a smokey room filled with clerks at open desks, all with a big old paper spreadsheet in front of them along with the handy manual calculating machine.

Spreadsheet means paper! Ahhhh!

More pictures like this one below to tickle your imagination. https://www.vintag.es/2018/05/office...and-1960s.html

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 07:04 AM   #123
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
My recollection was that Schwab was the leader there and that VG was late to the party. Some Googling gave me this:
Tuesday October 1, 2019: Schwab goes to zero, followed a couple of hours later by TDAmeritrade (https://www.npr.org/2019/10/01/76611...oward-the-norm)

October 2: Etrade follows.

October 10: Fido follows. (https://www.npr.org/2019/10/01/76611...oward-the-norm)

January 2, 2020: Vanguard follows. (https://abcnews.go.com/Business/wire...ading-68035212)
VG and Jack Bogle deserve a lot of credit for offering low-cost mutual funds but in this case they appear to have been an also-ran.
Wow, thanks for the correction - that is what I meant, and I was wrong about it.

Luckily I've already thanked Schwab by moving 1/10th of my assets there. Specifically Schwab International, which supports people with foreign addresses.
OverThinkMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 07:07 AM   #124
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Except Vanguard wasn't first..........
My apologies, I was wrong about that.

I only had a Vanguard account at the time, and this move fit with their overall lowering of costs. I think the article also mislead me, quoting something about this being such a small part of their business, they were okay with it being free. They did not mention Vanguard was following the lead of multiple other brokerages in that article.

Sorry for the confusion - the merged combination of Schwab and TD Ameritrade was first. (I just double-checked that merger, to make sure I didn't remember that wrong, too!)
OverThinkMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 12:10 AM   #125
Give me a forum ...

I've been angry with Vanguard ever since they nagged us into accepting their new "brokerage" funds.

For some reason, we can no longer set up an automatic transfer of dividends from one fund (e.g. Total Bond Index) to VTSAX. No, now we have to remember to do an online exchange from the "settlement fund" every time there is a dividend.

Just one more online chore added to the daily pile.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote