Vanguard lowers Admiral req's

Thanks for sharing! Wonderful news.

Thanks for this. My mom's Vanguard IRA has several positions less than $100K but more than $10K. Time to look into this.

I just noticed this bit of news this morning while cruising around vanguard.com and pondering how many more years it will take me to get to the $100,000 (or $50,000 mark for accounts over 10 years old). Worry no longer!

I recall that these conversions are non-taxable events. I certainly hope so, because I'm up for conversion on almost my entire taxable portfolio at vanguard (low six figures with some net gains in there). I wonder if we can exchange these funds today and still have it be a non-taxable transaction?

I just noticed this bit of news this morning while cruising around vanguard.com and pondering how many more years it will take me to get to the $100,000 (or $50,000 mark for accounts over 10 years old). Worry no longer!

I recall that these conversions are non-taxable events. I certainly hope so, because I'm up for conversion on almost my entire taxable portfolio at vanguard (low six figures with some net gains in there). I wonder if we can exchange these funds today and still have it be a non-taxable transaction?

The conversions are non-taxable. To convert today, sign in to your account, click on "accounts and activity" and click on the "convert to admiral shares" link at the top of the page.

So you don't have to wait for VG to do the conversion automatically?

I went out and converted several funds in various accounts. It's quick and easy.

So you don't have to wait for VG to do the conversion automatically?

You can wait for VG to do the conversion automatically, but it might be a while before the conversion occurs on its own. Or you can direct VG to convert right now if you wish. I just converted several funds. Quick and easy.

The conversions are non-taxable. To convert today, sign in to your account, click on "accounts and activity" and click on the "convert to admiral shares" link at the top of the page.

Thanks a million (er, 10 basis points to be exact)!

Took 2 minutes.

I also just realized the small cap value fund does not have admiral share class available.

Hah! That just popped four of mine into admiral share status. Nice.

Anyone know what happens if you own Vanguard mutual funds in another brokerage account? Will they still switch automatically?

To convert today, sign in to your account, click on "accounts and activity" and click on the "convert to admiral shares" link at the top of the page.

Done!

Thanks -- just did it.

Done... except for one which I got a messge that I have to many account... what:confused:

Will have to try again later or give them a call...

This is great info, thank so much for posting it. I just converted a few funds. What an easy way to save some money. :)

Any thoughts on Vanguard's rationale for the change?
- Re-affirm their position as the low-cost provider of MFs (against increasing competition from FIDOs Spartan funds)?
- Take advantage of the recent highlighting of the issue of ETF liquididty during the "flash crash"? Some cost-conscious investors are now concerned and realize ETFs may not behave the same as MF's do in a crisis. If VGD can cut the ERs of MF's to make them comparable to ETFs, they may be able to gain some business.

All I know is that Vanguard, Fidelity and Schwab keep taking turns trying to one-up each other in terms of lowering commissions, fees, expenses and minimum investment requirements -- so investors are winning.

There goes the neighborhood.

- Re-affirm their position as the low-cost provider of MFs (against increasing competition from FIDOs Spartan funds)?

I imagine this is a big part of it. Taking away one of Fidelity's few competitive advantages when it comes to low cost index funds. The Spartan minimums being $10,000 probably drove Vanguard to lower theirs to $10,000.

For $100,000 at fidelity, you could buy up to the spartan Advantage class with even lower ER's than the regular Spartan funds at fidelity.

{insert infomercial jingle}

"I no longer have to bring my money to Vanguard to achieve Admiral status, they brought Admiral status to ME! Vanguard, you rule."

{end jingle}

:)

-CC

Back
Top Bottom