Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Vanguard Managed Payout aka Harvard Endowment Funds
Old 10-31-2007, 01:15 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Vanguard Managed Payout aka Harvard Endowment Funds

Havent seen this thrown about over here yet, but its everywhere else.

Vanguard to Broaden Retirement Income Solutions with Three New Managed Payout Funds - - insurancenewsnet.com

Vanguard is launching a series of funds that offer managed payouts of 3%, 5% and 7%, while suggesting they'll attempt to maintain the principal even or better than the CPI based inflation measure.

Fund mixes include US and international stocks, bonds, cash instruments, commodities, market neutral/hedge funds, etc. An expense ratio in the mid .3x range is expected. Fund mixes are the same, with different size allocations depending on how much you want paid out. The 7% fund will invest in larger chunks of the riskier elements while the 3% fund more conservatively allocated.

I find these funds realllllly interesting and barring any weird changes or late discoveries of displeasing aspects, will probably consider at least a partial investment in them.

They're essentially self directed annuities, except you get to keep the principal and you dont get the benefit of sharing market risk with a million other insurance company customers. In any case, the broad diversification, including into areas like commodities and market neutral funds that vanguard hasnt traditionally offered, is interesting. Think of it as target retirement funds on steroids with higher payouts.

I'm really interested in HOW they distribute, presuming a mix of interest/dividends, qualified dividends, and capital gains.

Some discussions at bogleheads and morningstar.

Bogleheads :: View topic - new VG fund
Bogleheads :: View topic - InsuranceNewsNet: Vanguard's New Managed Payout Funds

Morningstar Discuss
Morningstar Discuss
Morningstar Discuss

They were originally launched as the "vanguard managed payout" funds, but were later renamed "The vanguard harvard endowment" funds, or somesuch. Interesting branding.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2007, 01:19 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Well fooey, and nevermind. This has been discussed already. The search I did didnt match up with the couple of other threads already inflight.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:06 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Link to other thread?
CybrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 07:10 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ard-30786.html

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...nds-30256.html

Probably others. Its tough to search for some things unless you're willing to weed through a lot of chaff.

The threads on the Diehards board pretty much beat this to death. I think the synopsis is that the trueblue vanguard indexers/bogleheads think all of this international/commodity/etc stuff is ridiculous and all you need is the s&p500 and some tips. Others who are into slicing and dicing and more exotic options are excited by this option. Seems cheap for what it is, since access to commodity and hedge funds can get pretty spendy.

I'd lose about 17 basis points per year going from my ridiculously cheap portfolio setup, but I'd pick up all the rebalancing and distribution stuff and some broader diversification. Not bad.

Tags
vanguard