Join Early Retirement Today

Vanguard Notice About Fund Only Platform
Old 05-26-2020, 08:09 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Vanguard Notice About Fund Only Platform

I just got another email from Vanguard asking to make the transition away from Mutual Funds only to the "new and improved" investment platform.

At least now there is a year of 2022 or sooner to retire the old platform.

I'm still loitering and lingering until the deadline comes closer as funds area all I need. Index investing and rebalance once a year. Don't need the fancy stuff .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vg transition notice.jpg (101.8 KB, 112 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2020, 08:18 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Wow, I thought the year they were going to force it was 2020! If it was me, and they told me 2022, I wouldn't do it yet.

After many such emails I got suckered into making the change to a brokerage account last year. When you log in the interface looks the same, and isn't too hard to figure out, but there are a few minor differences that I don't like (such as having to keep a low interest rate money market settlement account, even though I already had Prime Money Market).

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:24 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

We are also clinging to the past, and will transition on the 5th of never. Okay, I get it, they will force it on us at some time.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:26 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
We are also clinging to the past, and will transition on the 5th of never. Okay, I get it, they will force it on us at some time.
Yep, I'm waiting until I get run out of the building .
Old 05-26-2020, 08:29 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

You will be assimilated...

Old 05-26-2020, 08:43 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Probably saves them, us, 10 million every year in maintenance and support costs. Besides this allows the development team to focus on the future instead 35 year old code.

ETA: Of course this could related to third-party software they utilized in the application. If product X release Y goes out of support a responsible vendor will make sure they're able to support their customers needs. It's quite possible to code yourself into a corner when a third party solution goes away.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:45 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Probably saves them, us, 10 million every year in maintenance and support costs. Besides this allows the development team to focus on the future instead 35 year old code.

Probably all true.

But I just don't like instant replay with baseball.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:46 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Yep, I'm waiting until I get run out of the building .
Waiting will give me time to decide if I really want 4 Vanguard brokerage accounts...with 4 additional money funds. Maybe I'm wrong about that?
Old 05-26-2020, 08:53 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Waiting will give me time to decide if I really want 4 Vanguard brokerage accounts...with 4 additional money funds. Maybe I'm wrong about that?

I think I got 8 or 9 different ones...

The other BIG problem that I have is statements... I am old fashion and want paper for annual statements but that is (or at least was) not an option... before, I had only one brokerage account and the rest on the old platform... I got a consolidated stmt for all accounts and they had a total for them all.

Now, I get a stmt for each account! I called to get my consolidated back and they are sending something but it is not the same.... so when stmt time I get a bunch of paper stmts that are useless...

BTW, you can keep the Prime MM account, it is just not your sweep account anymore...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:37 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

My hope is that when 2022 rolls around I'll get another email telling me to convert before the old way of doing things gets retired in around a few years after that .

Hasn't the request to kick people out and move to the new way been going on for about 4 years now?
Old 05-26-2020, 09:47 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My hope is that when 2022 rolls around I'll get another email telling me to convert before the old way of doing things gets retired in around a few years after that .

Hasn't the request to kick people out and move to the new way been going on for about 4 years now?
Probably at least 4 years, maybe more.

A thought I had was how our positive interactions with a competitor (Schwab) during this time has left me wondering if the Vanguard brokerage experience will leave me frustrated? Only time will tell, I suppose.

I will definitely leave 2 out of 4 accounts at Vanguard. But 2 others can be eliminated or consolidated elsewhere.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:10 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
BTW, you can keep the Prime MM account, it is just not your sweep account anymore...
Obviously they don't obliterate Prime MM when you make the big transition. So lucky me, every time any money goes into or out of my VMFXX ("Federal MM Fund", = settlement MM) account, I have to log into Vanguard and manually transfer that money to or from Prime MM if I want the slightly better interest rate it provides. It's just so annoying.

Old 05-26-2020, 10:12 AM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I made this change years ago when they first requested it and don’t understand what the big deal is for some. All companies their websites constantly, which is all this change feels like to me. It hasn’t cost me any money that I know of.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 10:13 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

At least 4 years. And they always make it seem so urgent. My guess is that your hope will become your reality in 2022.

Old 05-26-2020, 10:27 AM   #15
Administrator

I still have the traditional Vanguard accounts, and I am unwilling to switch until I find out what the catch is. I am like Danny Moses in Michael Lewis' book "The Big Short"

Quote:
When a Wall Street firm helped him to get into a trade that seemed perfect in every way, he asked the salesman, “I appreciate this, but I just want to know one thing: How are you going to f*** me?”

Heh-heh-heh, c’mon, we’d never do that, the trader started to say, but Danny, though perfectly polite, was insistent.

We both know that unadulterated good things like this trade don’t just happen between little hedge funds and big Wall Street firms. I’ll do it, but only after you explain to me how you are going to f*** me. And the salesman explained how he was going to f*** him. And Danny did the trade.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:39 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I had already performed this action on my tIRA to allow direct transfer to a new Roth IRA, so no big deal in my view. I received the notice for my taxable account and already performed the transition. I have not noticed anything different, and it is one less thing for me to be "nagged" about.

They are better than Fidelity,.I still have to call to transfer funds from my tIRA to Roth IRA because my tIRA account is "too old (likely meaning non-brokerage) so I cannot do online transfers. No indication from them yet that anything can be done about it (though in truth I have not raised a fuss about it).
Old 05-26-2020, 10:42 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

So we have another line of demarcation. Those that transitioned willingly, and those of us who are like Danny Moses.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:56 AM   #18

Quote:
Probably all true.

But I just don't like instant replay with baseball.
what are your feelings on the Designated Hitter?
Scrapr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 12:13 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapr View Post
what are your feelings on the Designated Hitter?
Nope. I want pitchers to bat.

Back to the Vanguard thing. IMO, asking me to switch to the new method I compare to as if I'm a left-handed hitter asked to be a switched hitter. Why should I switch if I'm totally content batting on one side. Sure, there may be some advantages for some folks, but I'm happy just being who I am.
Old 05-26-2020, 12:54 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
I made this change years ago when they first requested it and don’t understand what the big deal is
+1