Join Early Retirement Today

Vanguard STAR Fund as basis for SWR Retirement
Old 04-26-2006, 12:07 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Vanguard STAR Fund as basis for SWR Retirement

I am within 2-3 years of ER at which time I will be age 51-52. I like to keep things simple. In that regard I am considering investing all my total SWR portfolio into the Vanguard STAR fund. It is a well diversified fund of funds with about a 60/40 equity to bond to ratio. It has averaged 11% annual return over its 20 year life span with the worst year being down just a tad short of 10%.

Any opinions on its suitablity to withstand 4-5% annual withdrawals?

Here is a link:
http://flagship4.vanguard.com/VGApp/...FundIntExt=INT
Hydroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Vanguard STAR Fund as basis for SWR Retirement
Old 04-26-2006, 12:41 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I think it is a fine fund for the purpose you are looking at.(set and "forget").
Personally I would like a bit more foreign (only 12%) and some commodities but that said I like the Star Fund better than many of those "Life Strategy/Retirement 2022" funds out there.
Cheers!
preben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 07:55 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben
I think it is a fine fund for the purpose you are looking at.(set and "forget").
Personally I would like a bit more foreign (only 12%) and some commodities but that said I like the Star Fund better than many of those "Life Strategy/Retirement 2022" funds out there.
Cheers!
At the risk of hijacking the thread, do you consider LifeStrategy Moderate Growth less desirable than Star, and why? My only dislike of LS Moderate is the AA fund component, but I'm learning to live with it.

As far as the OP, my current plan (which I'm not following 100%) is to use LS Moderate Growth and throw in some other funds (total international, extended market, REIT index) to tweak the asset allocation. (In reality I have a lot in Wellington due to my 401(k)'s previous lack of LS Moderate Growth.) So I dont see anything wrong with one diversified fund even though I'm adding a little spice to mine.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 07:57 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I certainly wouldn't criticize the choice of Star. My wife is retiring in a couple weeks and we expect to transfer her 403b to Vanguard, probably 60% in Wellesley and the rest in the Star fund to get a bit more diversification and growth. The Lifestyle funds more than Target Retirement may also interest you. The fund we have our Roths in is the Asset Allocation fund (VAAPX) which we are satisfied with. Choice is supposed to be a good thing but it can get overwhelming sometimes.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:10 AM   #5
Dryer sheet wannabe

Does Fidelity have anything comparable to STAR Fund that would qualify for the
4% withdrawl strategy?
Tony Tampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 08:11 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Why not?

Given the range of ER's who post here - you are always stuck with working from your own personal situation - what is the assigned mission of the particular portfolio you chose and what hormones do you bring to the party.

Me - lazy(balanced index camp), old phart(RMD is coming), with individual stocks for mad money/hormones - cause early SS/small pension are now backstoppers in case I screw up.

BTY - I've always been jealous of Ben's portfolio - if I ever become an ex pat instead of a provincial - well

heh heh heh heh heh heh
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 09:29 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Unclemick; come visit and get a taste of the sweet life in Thailand! Door is open my friend!

BMJ; admittedly a while ago I checked last but I recall finding some of them too conservative for a long retirement - even if one picked a longer peroid (too high a % in bonds). It also had same issue as Star; too little international. I do not recall which had the most overlap but I remember 1 was worse than the other.

Above said both are probably fine, but a fixed 60/40% split (and adding some international+commodities if one has the desire) seems to me to be a good sweet spot. Unclemich added some Reits before but chickened out while still holding some gambles in dividend stocks I believe.

Cheers!
preben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 10:55 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I figured that when the time comes to draw down my savings, I would cherry-pick the withdrawals from the category of asset that happens to be doing the best, thereby reallocating and withdrawing at the same time. To do this, I would use separate index funds for small, large, value and growth.

With blended funds (whether 60/40 or other), it seems that whenever you withdraw, you are tapping all assets, even those that happen to be down at the time.

Is this a legitimate reason not to put it all in a single fund, however well-diversified it may be?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 11:16 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Rich,

I had the same concern, but since the fund rebalences itself, I believe affects of withdrawals on reallocation is nil. Maybe I am missing something?
Hydroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 11:51 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Rich, I think that a fund like STAR that rebalances does the cherry picking automatically.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 01:15 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Rich, I think that a fund like STAR that rebalances does the cherry picking automatically.
hmm.. it seems that the autobalancing just assures that when you withdraw, you are always withdrawing 60/40 stocks to bonds. Does it also autobalance among large, small, growth and value?

I guess if autobalancing happens frequently enough or continuously, and if it includes category of equities as well as stocks to bonds, you have already taken advantage of the "cherries" through the rebalancing before you withdraw.

I just confused myself. Anyone?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 01:47 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa

I guess if autobalancing happens frequently enough or continuously, and if it includes category of equities as well as stocks to bonds, you have already taken advantage of the "cherries" through the rebalancing before you withdraw.
I think that's pretty much the deal.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vanguard