Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-03-2020, 08:20 AM   #121
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
Are there any joint owners on the account, if so who's SSN is on the tax reporting documents?
No joint owners. I didn't ask for a detailed explanation of the issue since it was nothing I had control over. Yes, it would have been better customer service to have corrected the issue without me having to call in first. If this is my worst problem with VG, then I won't complain. No biggie.
boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2020, 09:32 AM   #122
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by boog View Post
No joint owners. I didn't ask for a detailed explanation of the issue since it was nothing I had control over. Yes, it would have been better customer service to have corrected the issue without me having to call in first. If this is my worst problem with VG, then I won't complain. No biggie.
They wanted to talk to you about the issue, itís a customer service thing, either to confirm the issue and insure it was you and not somebody else.
Itís standard operating procedure for all issues, and it would not bother me that I would have to call. I had an issue which was a mistake on their end, when I called they told me how they fix it and wanted to make sure I was happy with the resolution of the problem.
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:17 AM   #123
Recycles dryer sheets

Agghhh!! I called Vanguard about the transition of my mutual fund accounts to the brokerage platform. The existing accounts I have are in the solid six-figures and I have been with Vanguard since 1992. The guy answered some general questions. He then told me that the account would be charged an annual fee of $31. What? Then he revised to $20 per year. Really?

I know it sounds cheap and petty but why should I pay $20 per year to have what I currently have for $0.

I will not be transitioning my mutual funds.
pjm-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:58 AM   #124
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm-7 View Post
Agghhh!! I called Vanguard about the transition of my mutual fund accounts to the brokerage platform. The existing accounts I have are in the solid six-figures and I have been with Vanguard since 1992. The guy answered some general questions. He then told me that the account would be charged an annual fee of $31. What? Then he revised to $20 per year. Really?

I know it sounds cheap and petty but why should I pay $20 per year to have what I currently have for $0.

You shouldn't pay, I agree, and the "guy" may be wrong. I think if a client has at least 50K total assets with Vanguard, they don't charge any fees for most account types, unless they manage the account for you. Maybe this helps: https://investor.vanguard.com/invest...ts/at-a-glance
reawilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 11:06 AM   #125
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Just making sure I understand correctly. So, they guy said you could stay with the mutual fund accounts only but would get charged $20/year by not switching over? This is kind of like if you go to a fast food place and the place says you have to order the combo meal, if not then you get charged extra .

I don't plan on switching over unless VG does it automatically or really doesn't give me any other choice.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:37 PM   #126
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Maybe this is what is going on? Your Admiralty class shares of Vanguard funds are very inexpensive, however the ETF fund management fees are even lower. If you don't change you may not pay the $20 but you'll pay considerably more than that in the higher internal fees in the Admiralty funds you hold. They are trying to save you money, if you let them. However I am not sure about the $20 fee. I switched seven figures worth of Admiralty funds to ETF's with Vanguard and I haven't seen a fee like that nor did my Vanguard adviser mention it.
steveark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 12:50 PM   #127
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am the OP-- nobody at Vanguard told me about any fee and I have not been charged a fee that I have seen. Maybe the guy did not know what he was talking about.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 01:08 PM   #128
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveark View Post
Maybe this is what is going on? Your Admiralty class shares of Vanguard funds are very inexpensive, however the ETF fund management fees are even lower. If you don't change you may not pay the $20 but you'll pay considerably more than that in the higher internal fees in the Admiralty funds you hold. They are trying to save you money, if you let them. However I am not sure about the $20 fee. I switched seven figures worth of Admiralty funds to ETF's with Vanguard and I haven't seen a fee like that nor did my Vanguard adviser mention it.
I didn't realize that may ETFs are now cheaper (lower expense ratio) than admiral shares. Did you have to call to get them converted, or could you do it online? How?
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote