Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Vanguard Vs Fidelity Premium Services?
Old 12-12-2012, 07:11 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Vanguard Vs Fidelity Premium Services?

Can anyone outline the differences if any, between Vanguard and Fidelity Premium Services?

Thank you
marc515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2012, 07:26 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Are you interested in premium services that are useful or premium services that are fluff?

We have accounts at both places. There are no premium services at either one that are useful.

For premium services, Vanguard gives out free TurboTax if one has a million dollars invested in Vanguard funds with them. That's about it. Free trades do not count as premium services anymore since everybody gives free trades and Vanguard gives free trades to folks with very little money with them.

As for non-premium services, Fidelity has better tools such as the Retirement Income Planner and the Guided Portfolio Summary (portfolio analysis). Fidelity has walk-in offices, too.

Vanguard gives out free CFP consults, but the answer is almost invariably "Total Stock Market, Total International Stock Market, Total Bond Market. Thank you for your business."

Vanguard is a good shop, but one can purchase Vanguard products without commission at WellsTrade. Vanguard ETFs are no commission at Vanguard, WellsTrade, and TDAmeritrade. Vanguard ETFs are a small commission at Fidelity. iShares ETFs are no-commission at WellsTrade, TDAmeritrade, and Fidelity.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:09 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

My local Fidelity office has a candy dish in the lobby. I've never gotten free candy from Vanguard.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:03 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
My local Fidelity office has a candy dish in the lobby. I've never gotten free candy from Vanguard.
That's a real perk. My FIL used to take me to his Merrill Lynch advisor and all we ever got was some less then great coffee. Fido wins out on that match.

T-bird
Class of 2013
DW Class os 2012 (May, a done deal)
T-bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:01 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post
Can anyone outline the differences if any, between Vanguard and Fidelity Premium Services?

Thank you
I look for good cheap investments i.e. safety, low ER, no loads, etc. What you do not want is a lot of human contact in investing because that leads to emotional dependency. I don't even want to buy into the idea that you must buy-hold because that means you have to marry some investment -- I already have a marriage partner.

So I like VG because you don't even have to talk to the same rep. Fidelity may be good too but very little experience with them.

My 2 cents (at the expense of years of occasionally learning the hard way).
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:51 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
So I like VG because you don't even have to talk to the same rep. Fidelity may be good too but very little experience with them.
Vanguard is a good outfit and you can't go wrong with your choice there. But, so there's no confusion and since you say you're not very familar with Fidelity, you don't have to talk to the same rep at Fidelity either. Ditto with Schwab.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:44 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Compare ER and you may find out that the candy is not free like you think.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:51 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Compare ER and you may find out that the candy is not free like you think.
I did, their Spartan funds are cheaper.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:22 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post
In general, Fidelity seems more likely to spend more effort on customer service (they own the company, not the shareholders) and is willing to consider "exceptions" to some "rules". Vanguard seems more likely to say "No, we don't do that, it costs the shareholders too much."

In the few months that I handled my Dad's account at Vanguard, its website seemed to offer much less than Fidelity.

Fidelity appears to be rightfully afraid of Vanguard taking away their business, and has recently lowered the expense ratio of some of their Spartan funds. They also offer some no-fee trades on some of their ETFs.

Fidelity also "assigns" you a personal representative. I used to talk with mine maybe once a year, and it turned out that he was really part of team #354 of "personal" reps. He left soon after that and was replaced by a new personal rep, who I've never even spoken to yet.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote