Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-26-2007, 05:57 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireeRobert View Post
Maybe not, but that doesn't really matter to my question at hand. Are those two things mentioned NOT the two biggest mistakes people make? If so, what are the two biggest mistakes?
Brennan is saying that "assuming somebody else will take care of your financial future" is a mistake. I agree. But his solution is that the stock market will take care of you. Isn't that the same mistake with just a different "savior?"

He uses the example of US stock returns. But he doesn't mention that US returns are atypical. There are plenty of other markets that have had poorer long-term returns.

I like to use the example of Japan -- the second largest economy in the world. Japan has had several long periods with poor returns. In fact, investing in Japan (via my 401(k)) in the 80's taught me an important lesson: I have no control over market returns. If I want to ensure success, I need to invest in myself.

So, I quit my job, started a company, sold the company, and retired happily. Personally, I think it was a better way to ensure my financial future than a faith in the market. But then, I'm not selling mutual funds.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2007, 06:05 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I started this thread with reference to Vanguard's Brennan article thinking folks might comment on the substance of the article's proferred advice (or lack thereof depending on one's opinion).
Quote:
Maybe not, but that doesn't really matter to my question at hand. Are those two things mentioned NOT the two biggest mistakes people make? If so, what are the two biggest mistakes?
Sorry if I'm not responding with the answers you're looking for. Apparently I've made enough contributions to this thread, and I'll stop before I've put up as many posts in it as you have...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 06:22 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
So you think these are not the biggest two mistakes people make, and you think its bad advice?
I do not disagree with what he said.
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote