Join Early Retirement Today

Vanguard's Jack Brennan in Saving Success
Old 10-25-2007, 03:19 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Vanguard's Jack Brennan in Saving Success

New article from Vangaurd on psychology of saving.

Vanguard − Jack Brennan on the habits of successful investors
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2007, 07:08 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireeRobert View Post
I have a hard time listening to anyone who treated Jack Bogle in the manner in which he did. I've never heard the story but it's difficult to imagine a scenario where you'd exclaim "Why, that Bogle-- what a SOB! No wonder Brennan hates his guts!!"

I don't choose my rock stars or my sports heroes for their sense of honor & ethics, but then I don't depend on them for investment advice either-- only for their entertainment value.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 09:23 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I have a hard time listening to anyone who treated Jack Bogle in the manner in which he did. I've never heard the story but it's difficult to imagine a scenario where you'd exclaim "Why, that Bogle-- what a SOB! No wonder Brennan hates his guts!!"
I've heard vague discussions about Bogle and Vanguard not parting on the best of the terms. But I've never heard any details anybody know what went down?
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 09:27 PM   #4

Quote:
I have a hard time listening to anyone who treated Jack Bogle in the manner in which he did.
Don't listen to him then. Don't gripe to us about it.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:38 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
OK, following your line of reasoning: Don't read posts you don't agree with. Don't gripe to us about it if you do.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
OK, following your line of reasoning: Don't read posts you don't agree with. Don't gripe to us about it if you do.
Your logic does not compute. I won't know I don't agree with a post "until" I read it. The previous poster "already" had formed an opinion of Mr Brennan, and had "already" decided he would never listen to him. He was just telling the rest of us of his "already" pre-judged opinion of Mr Brennan.
I have not and will not tell you folks of my pre-judged opinions about posters.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:03 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Quote:
The previous poster "already" had formed an opinion of Mr Brennan, and had "already" decided he would never listen to him. He was just telling the rest of us of his "already" pre-judged opinion of Mr Brennan.
I have not and will not tell you folks of my pre-judged opinions about posters.
Well, one difference between us appears to be that I'm willing to consider having my opinion changed by a discussion of the events that led me to form my opinion. F'gosh sakes, there seems to be a little distance between "I'm having a hard time" and "I have not and will not".

It seems odd that Brennan doesn't get along with a guy known as "Saint Jack", someone who essentially set up the conditions enabling Brennan to get his job. I've read a lot about Bogle, I've read a lot about Sauder, and I've read a lot about Vanguard. I'm having trouble seeing how Brennan is adding value to the firm, especially considering the complaints of Dee Dee Havens (admittedly somewhat old news by now) and the feelings of other posters. Admittedly the posters are in the minority but there's the feelings nonetheless.

You put up the post. I'm trying to get a discussion going by sharing my comments on how I feel about the credibility of the guy you linked to. What other response did you expect from a discussion board when you put up the post? It's OK with me if you want to gripe to us about it; I'd certainly hate to be accused of attempting to stifle a discussion.

If you know what led to the acrimony between Brennan & Bogle then cough it up. If you don't know, then let's see if someone else does.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 10-26-2007, 12:22 AM   #8

Quote:
.......You put up the post. I'm trying to get a discussion going by sharing my comments on how I feel about the credibility of the guy you linked to. What other response did you expect from a discussion board when you put up the post?.......
I did indeed start the thread. I apologize for my rude prior response.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:14 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Well, I don't know anything about the dispute with Bogle but I did read the article. Nothing much there for anyone who is already here. But it did include a picture of the author. If his personality matches his expression, no wonder Bogle didn't get along with him.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:04 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

BW Online | January 19, 2004 | The Vanguard Advantage
This talks about the differences between Brennan & Bogle
-h
Old 10-26-2007, 08:09 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lswswein View Post
BW Online | January 19, 2004 | The Vanguard Advantage
This talks about the differences between Brennan & Bogle
Thanks, that's all we ever see in the press about their dispute...

Old 10-26-2007, 11:21 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Doubt we will know the whole story, ever .....though it does look like managment turf wars I've seen at MegaCorp.
Hillbilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 11:23 AM   #13

Quote:
Thanks, that's all we ever see in the press about their dispute...
I started this thread with reference to Vanguard's Brennan article thinking folks might comment on the substance of the article's proferred advice (or lack thereof depending on one's opinion). Given Vanguard is one of two or three 19000 pound gorillas in the personal finance arena, I thought when Vanguard talks, a few people might listen.

We seem to have nearly immediately branched off topic into discussion of Brennan's inter-personal relationships. That may be an interesting topic, but not what I had in mind in linking the Vanguard article in this thread.

I had more in mind, what do people think of such advice from Vanguard's article as:

"The biggest mistake that I have seen over the years is assuming somebody else will take care of your financial future, or 'I'll get to it down the road.' Both are mistakes of significant proportions."

Or some of the other nuggets offered in the article.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:25 AM   #14

Such drama! Somehow, it doesn't cause me to worry about Vanguard when their biggest move away from Bogle's philosophy is to offer low-cost ETFs.

Now if they would just offer low-cost DFA fund clones, I'd be even happier.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:42 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I had more in mind, what do people think of such advice from Vanguard's article as:

"The biggest mistake that I have seen over the years is assuming somebody else will take care of your financial future, or 'I'll get to it down the road.' Both are mistakes of significant proportions."

Or some of the other nuggets offered in the article.
It seems like obvious advice, and hardly note worthy. Most of the FIRED people on the board would say similar things. I suspect that some of them would be able to put it in more memorable language.

One of main assets of a Warren Buffett or a John Bogle is they are good communicator and it is interesting and occassionally illuminating to listen to them talk about financial matters. Brennan is giving good advice but in the language of corporate speak. "Significant proportions", yawn "how about stocking up on Friskies in your later years."
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:50 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I did indeed start the thread. I apologize for my rude prior response.
Wow, RRobert, that would be numero ONE! I'm counting the number of apologies I've seen on this board excluding my own. O Rare!
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 03:56 PM   #17

Quote:
That's pretty much a generic statement about taking responsibilities over your life (or destiny) and not expecting someone else to take care of you.
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 04:06 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Given Vanguard is one of two or three 19000 pound gorillas in the personal finance arena, I thought when Vanguard talks, a few people might listen.
I don't think Brennan has any more credibility than the Johnsons or any other fund-company owners. In fact it's all too easy to wonder if their "advice" is a way of drumming up business.

I'd rather take advice from those who can do the math or analyze the correlations or provide the tools or at least appeal to my confirmation biases. Someone like Bernstein or Dimson & Marsh or Dory or Hebeler.

Old 10-26-2007, 04:59 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
That's pretty much a generic statement about taking responsibilities over your life (or destiny) and not expecting someone else to take care of you.
So you think these are not the biggest two mistakes people make, and you think its bad advice?
Old 10-26-2007, 05:01 PM   #20

Quote:
I don't think Brennan has any more credibility than the Johnsons or any other fund-company owners.

Maybe not, but that doesn't really matter to my question at hand. Are those two things mentioned NOT the two biggest mistakes people make? If so, what are the two biggest mistakes?