Join Early Retirement Today

Vanguard's New Account type
Old 10-30-2019, 01:25 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Vanguard's New Account type

In trying to add a PIMCO fund to my IRA with Vanguard, they are telling me I need to upgrade to their new account type, a Vanguard Brokerage Account. They say there are no tax implications, fees or charges of any type. These new accounts are able to hold Vanguard mutual funds, ETFs as well as individual stocks, bonds, CDs and mutual funds and ETFs from other companies.

Has anyone done this yet and is there any reason NOT to?

klucich is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2019, 01:33 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Many of us have done this, after being assured it would be a seamless event. I think they want to cut costs and dump their old account types. You should be able to search and find the disadvantages. What I remember is that I got two sets of tax forms the year of the switch, one for each account type. They didn't tell me this and I was very confused why the first one seemed incomplete until I get the second one many days later. Also if you search for forms for various things, the default seems to be to give you the form for the old account type. So you send it in, perhaps after going to the trouble of getting a medallion signature, only to find out you used the wrong form. Now I just tell my flagship rep what I want to do and ask for the right form.

RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 01:40 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I moved a 401k to an IRA at Vanguard 3 years ago and was set up as a new brokerage account. No problems.

Vanguard is moving everyone to the new system and shutting down the old. It's a nice migration path and painless. Eventually everyone will be on the newer system.

Come on in the water is fine.
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 01:43 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by klucich View Post
In trying to add a PIMCO fund to my IRA with Vanguard, they are telling me I need to upgrade to their new account type, a Vanguard Brokerage Account. They say there are no tax implications, fees or charges of any type. These new accounts are able to hold Vanguard mutual funds, ETFs as well as individual stocks, bonds, CDs and mutual funds and ETFs from other companies.

Bogleheads.org has endless threads debating this if you put your query in their top L/R search boxes.
https://www.bogleheads.org/index.php

You can just open a brokerage account, maintaining current holdings as-is. Said brokerage they want you in is a Wellington subcontractor afaik.
Just sayin....there are many factors like reinvestment of divs etc. Good Luck!
Old 10-30-2019, 01:48 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Many of us have done this, after being assured it would be a seamless event. I think they want to cut costs and dump their old account types. You should be able to search and find the disadvantages. What I remember is that I got two sets of tax forms the year of the switch, one for each account type. They didn't tell me this and I was very confused why the first one seemed incomplete until I get the second one many days later. Also if you search for forms for various things, the default seems to be to give you the form for the old account type. So you send it in, perhaps after going to the trouble of getting a medallion signature, only to find out you used the wrong form. Now I just tell my flagship rep what I want to do and ask for the right form.
And your funds stayed as they were, no changes?
Old 10-30-2019, 01:50 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Many of us have done this, after being assured it would be a seamless event. I think they want to cut costs and dump their old account types. You should be able to search and find the disadvantages. What I remember is that I got two sets of tax forms the year of the switch, one for each account type. ....
I transitioned mine just after the new year before any dividends were received and avoided the two tax form issue... made it easy.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA TBD
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 01:51 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
I moved a 401k to an IRA at Vanguard 3 years ago and was set up as a new brokerage account. No problems.

Vanguard is moving everyone to the new system and shutting down the old. It's a nice migration path and painless. Eventually everyone will be on the newer system.

Come on in the water is fine.
Old 10-30-2019, 02:01 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And your funds stayed as they were, no changes?
Yes. No issues at all there, and the cost basis was transferred over.

I'd suggest doing as pb4 did, do it in early January so that you don't have any taxable transactions for the year in the old account. Just a little simpler.
Roth IRA
Old 10-30-2019, 02:19 PM   #9
Dryer sheet aficionado

Roth IRA

Actually there are a few tax issues if you are transferring a Roth IRA to their brokerage account. The 5 year rule starts over when you switch to a brokerage account.
mckittri2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 02:21 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Yes. No issues at all there, and the cost basis was transferred over.

I'd suggest doing as pb4 did, do it in early January so that you don't have any taxable transactions for the year in the old account. Just a little simpler.
Well, I've got cash sitting in the MM in the mean time. Two months is a long time.
Old 10-30-2019, 02:24 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, I've got cash sitting in the MM in the mean time. Two months is a long time.
I think my main issue was that I wasn't aware I'd get two forms. As long as you're aware, it's just a minor hassle. btw, you'll get your tax forms later with the brokerage account. I don't recall how much later, but it is later.
Old 10-30-2019, 02:47 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I switched over to the brokerage accounts a while back. I got the two sets of tax forms, but I was expecting that from what people here said, that so that was kind of ho-hum for me.

I'm OK with the brokerage accounts but I really liked it better before (probably due to just an innate resistance to change). I used to just have one money market account, Prime Money Market. Now I also have to have a separate settlement account, with lower interest and that is annoying.
Old 10-30-2019, 04:06 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckittri2000 View Post
Actually there are a few tax issues if you are transferring a Roth IRA to their brokerage account. The 5 year rule starts over when you switch to a brokerage account.
I have never heard this. Can anyone else confirm this? It was my understanding that the 5 year rule applied to when a Roth was opened not to each individual account.
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 04:17 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful View Post
I have never heard this. Can anyone else confirm this? It was my understanding that the 5 year rule applied to when a Roth was opened not to each individual account.
Here's a link to some info:

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/ans...periodroth.asp

Quote:
The 5-year rule applies in three situations: if you withdraw account earnings, if you convert a traditional IRA to a Roth, and if a beneficiary inherits a Roth IRA.
I don't know why converting a Roth IRA from Vanguard's mutual fund account to a brokerage account would reset the 5 year clock. It's not the type of conversion that usually has tax consequences.
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 05:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I switched over to the brokerage accounts a while back. I got the two sets of tax forms, but I was expecting that from what people here said, that so that was kind of ho-hum for me.

I'm OK with the brokerage accounts but I really liked it better before (probably due to just an innate resistance to change). I used to just have one money market account, Prime Money Market. Now I also have to have a separate settlement account, with lower interest and that is annoying.
You might be able to call Vanguard and have them change your settlement account to Prime MM. I thought that was one of the options, anyway.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 05:09 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckittri2000 View Post
Not true for IRAs. The 5 year rule is a once in a lifetime restriction. The IRS considers all IRA accounts held by an individual to be parts of just one global individual account. 5 years from first Roth account opened anywhere satisfies the 5 year time for the individual. This is why the pro-rata rule is global across all held IRAs and why you can take RMDs for all accounts from just one.

Employer sponsored plans like 401Ks aren't treated this way. Every account has its own 5 year clock. This is also why you have to make RMDs from each account held separately.
Modest private pension +
Modest nest egg, 60/40 indexed +
My good looks and sparkling conversation
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 05:37 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwraigty View Post
I don't know why converting a Roth IRA from Vanguard's mutual fund account to a brokerage account would reset the 5 year clock. It's not the type of conversion that usually has tax consequences.
Nor do I. It's a simple conversion that happens all the time.
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 07:19 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
You might be able to call Vanguard and have them change your settlement account to Prime MM. I thought that was one of the options, anyway.
Hmm!! Maybe I can figure out a way to do it online. Thanks.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:59 AM   #19

Quote:
In trying to add a PIMCO fund to my IRA with Vanguard, they are telling me I need to upgrade to their new account type, a Vanguard Brokerage Account. They say there are no tax implications, fees or charges of any type. These new accounts are able to hold Vanguard mutual funds, ETFs as well as individual stocks, bonds, CDs and mutual funds from other companies.

We upgraded to a VBA a few years ago. No downside as far as we're concerned. Ours has all of the above in bold, except for ETFs which we don't have.