Very bullish forecast

I too believe Demographics is Destiny. Plus the articles outcomes are what I'm hoping for. So all in all this is the prognostication of the month.
But, of course, Nobody knows nuthin'

Good article, thanks for the link.

Harry Dent is that you?

I had to check the article to make sure it wasn’t Harry Dent.

I just read this article which makes a case for a very bullish forecast over the next decade plus for the S&P 500. This brought on by the millennials hitting peak earning/consumption years.

All-aboard!!

Questions:
1. How do you think the large population of baby boomers retiring will affect the market?
2. Thinking lots of boomers/FIRE ;) selling stocks... will it be balanced out by younger ages buying into the market?

All-aboard!!

Questions:
1. How do you think the large population of baby boomers retiring will affect the market?
2. Thinking lots of boomers/FIRE ;) selling stocks... will it be balanced out by younger ages buying into the market?
Boomers don’t sell all their stocks when they retire. Boomers have already been retiring for a long time now.

Yup. I've been selling as I need to fund my retirement but no more than needed each year.

Boomers may not need to sell much stock. Boomers sell options on their stocks, and the option premium already gets them more money than they spend.

And boomers still like to count their money. :cool:

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Gunny View
I just read this article which makes a case for a very bullish forecast over the next decade plus for the S&P 500.

As with all forecasts, there is a 50% chance they will be right.

Do not remember the exact numbers but isn't the average crash in the market around 14-18 months?

If that's the case, there is a good chance (POSSIBILITY) the market will be bullish the next decade.

Last edited:
Things look quite different if an investor takes a 20+ year, global perspective. That perspective includes many more known and unknown elements that will surely make some things zig and other things zag, all around the world, while having basic confidence that a growing global population will be reflected in a growing portfolio.

I’m Gen X and love me some Millennials, finding them an impressive generation, but I see no reason to bet my fortunes too heavily on what they do.

Last edited:
Things look quite different if an investor takes a 20+ year, global perspective. That perspective includes many more known and unknown elements that will surely make some things zig and other things zag, all around the world, while having basic confidence that a growing global population will be reflected in a growing portfolio. ...
This.

Warren Buffett: "Only buy something that you'd be perfectly happy to hold if the market shut down for 10 years."

Another article discussing the fact that the millennials are the largest generation now and are entering their peak spending years.

Sending positive mental vibes that millennials are investing their money smartly and safely in the market!

https://www.theatlantic.com/sponsor...rations-change-how-spending-is-trending/1109/

Another article discussing the fact that the millennials are the largest generation now and are entering their peak spending years.

Balancing the good news above is an article I just saw today.

More American males aged 25-34 are living in a parent’s home, and fewer are participating in the labor force.

The article then shows a chart depicting a steady increase of young men staying at home increasing to 21% in 2020, and those not working at about 17.5%.

Note that the above statistics are for men only, and do not include young women. It comes from the Conference Board.

The article ends up with:

“About half of prime age men who are not in the labor force may have a serious health condition that is a barrier to working,” the late Princeton economist Alan Krueger wrote in the Brookings Papers on Economic Activity in 2017.

Added Krueger: “Nearly half of prime age men who are not in the labor force take pain medication on any given day; and in nearly two-thirds of these cases, they take prescription pain medication.”

The data points to a strengthening dichotomy between the millennials doing well with a high-tech job vs. the ones not finding gainful employment. And the rate of those taking pain killers is worrisome.

See: https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mar...are-living-at-home/ar-AAKWmd4?ocid=uxbndlbing

Back
Top Bottom