Join Early Retirement Today

Very Impressive
Old 03-09-2019, 05:25 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Very Impressive

I have a buddy who is in his mid 40's. He's well educated in a field that pays very little. He told me that for most of his career he's earned around $20k/year, and only in the last 2-3 years did he get a big bump to around $72k/year. He's typically lives in CA...quite an expensive state. He's a challenging character and has been fired numerous times. (Not for a bad attitude...he's simply so slow at accomplishing things that I imagine it bothers his bosses.)

Anyway, about a week ago he asked if I'd review his portfolio and give advice. I was amazed to see he'd amassed about $400k, despite the fact that he doesn't spend much time thinking about finance or have much of a head for that kind of stuff.

It was really nice to get a reminder that whatever one's means, it's possible to live below them and save and invest.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2019, 05:37 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I love hearing stories like this. And then there's R Kelly who couldn't post bail even though he's probably made, and spent, millions. I like your guy's approach better.

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 05:52 PM   #3

I wish I would have just invested and ignored performance at times. I'm sure I would be much wealthier today if I had.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 08:04 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'd guess there is a backstory here somewhere such as inheritance, but who knows?
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 08:21 PM   #5

Very nice accomplishment indeed! That's no small feat and it is easier said than done at his age. Of course this forum aside, the average investor I would say has no where near 400K in their mid 40's.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 08:39 PM   #6

not spending the inheritance ( if there was one ) is a very good start

is he slow but does the job RIGHT ?? ( that makes a big difference to a clever boss , the rest aren't worth working for )

$400K and done without excessive stress , maybe some of his concepts will help you as well ( a nest egg AND well rested seems to be a nice compromise )

You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.

Samuel Levenson
Oz investor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 04:58 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Very impressive on that income.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
I'd guess there is a backstory here somewhere such as inheritance, but who knows?
I've known him since he was 5 and am friends with his whole family. I don't think there's much of a back story. College was covered by his parents, but beyond that, I don't believe there was even an inheritance. There may have been some gifts along the way, but I doubt if they totaled more than $25k.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoJay View Post
He told me that for most of his career he's earned around $20k/year, and only in the last 2-3 years did he get a big bump to around $72k/year. He's typically lives in CA...quite an expensive state.
Is he married and if not, could I introduce him to my niece?

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:55 AM   #10

Quote:
I have a buddy who is in his mid 40's. He's well educated in a field that pays very little. He told me that for most of his career he's earned around $20k/year... I was amazed to see he'd amassed about $400k
If true, that is some trick. He would have to save $900 per month with a steady 6% return for 20 years, to get close to 400K. That's almost $11K per year, or more than half of his income.

How do you live 20 years on only $9K per year?

The flip side is if he can still live on $9K per year, that 400K with a 6% return would easily last the rest of his life.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:19 AM   #11

Not that it amounts to too much, but maybe there js a corporate match? My stepson makes about that and knly saves enough for the match, and has about 4k there after 2 years. He is (not smart at all) at age 30, counting on an inheritance for his retirement. He already has a paid for house, paid by his grandmothers inheritance.
Perryinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:09 AM   #12

Quote:
I have a buddy who is in his mid 40's. He's well educated in a field that pays very little. He told me that for most of his career he's earned around $20k/year, and only in the last 2-3 years did he get a big bump to around $72k/year.

Anyway, about a week ago he asked if I'd review his portfolio and give advice. I was amazed to see he'd amassed about $400k, despite the fact that he doesn't spend much time thinking about finance or have much of a head for that kind of stuff.
The story and the numbers don't add up. And you didn't ask him how he accomplished this amazing feat?

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Qs Laptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:25 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qs Laptop View Post
The story and the numbers don't add up. And you didn't ask him how he accomplished this amazing feat?

I tend to agree. But if he invested $150k total during his 3 big pay years, invested $7k in each of the first 20 years, had a good company match, and invested in some lucrative investments, it could be possible. Who knows - maybe he’s always been 100% in Apple stock.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:35 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qs Laptop View Post
So being a naive third party would guess: Slow and steady with some luck WINS THE RACE.

Once I had the chance to buy my employer company stock at a 10% discount verses the lower of the opening or closing quarter stock price. Think I (very?) foolishly signed for close to 10% of my gross pay. Then the crushing and despairing events of 9/11 hit. Ended up paying a lot of taxes when I sold the stock before I quit. Shook my head at the amount of gain, sadness at how much pain was involved in a completely unrealistic gain that happened.
SnowBound is offline   Reply With Quote