Join Early Retirement Today

very odd thing
Old 07-30-2021, 09:38 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

very odd thing

My neighbor came over and offered to buy our house. I told him that we had no plan to move. He said he would like to pay some premium above the current market price.
I heard some rumor that my neighbor made some significant money last year.
My house market value is about 850K. the fee (realtor/gov/insurance) is around 55k. To have a slight better house in my neighborhood, in this hot market, it needs at least 10% premium, 85K. so the total is 990K.
Is this reasonable? The 990K could give him a shock. This 55K fee eats lot of meat. My net gain is 935K. Below this, I doubt we could have a better house.
We are neighbors about ten years. We get along well. Maybe I should just say no, but he was kind of eager to have my house.
semtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2021, 09:42 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Maybe your neighbor does not think "We get along well" as much as you

If you sell, what are you going to do for somewhere to live
Old 07-30-2021, 09:44 AM   #3

If you wouldn't mind moving, and could find a place you would like to move to, then I would simply ask him to make you an offer. Then you could make a decision.
Old 07-30-2021, 09:45 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post

This. We also considered selling our home since it has appreciated so much, however all the houses that are available are way, WAY too expensive and if it's been recently built, I question the build quality (YMMV). So, we have stayed put.
Old 07-30-2021, 09:46 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I would keep your "desired" or "expected" price a secret from him. Then ask him what he is offering. If he truly wants it, he should have a number in mind. Politely tell him no if his number isn't enough to uproot you and get you into your own desirable new home.
PaunchyPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 09:47 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

"If" I didn't mind dealing with an unplanned move, and "if" I had another spot picked out, then I'd ask ~1.2m in this case, or some other "I don't want to sell it price".... You never know. You can always come down a little, if you want.
Old 07-30-2021, 09:47 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Maybe your neighbor does not think "We get along well" as much as you

I have to buy another house. that's tons of headaches. move stuff to storage, rent living a few months, search for new house, bid/move in. That's why I need 10% premium at least. Maybe 10% not enough?
Old 07-30-2021, 09:50 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

If you want to sell, sell. But the fact that one potential buyer has contacted you is irrelevant to the decision and to the process. Scope out the market with or without an agent, calculate your net proceeds carefully, and decide whether the net is attractive to you. If you decide to sell and sign with an agent, exclude the neighbor in the listing agreement.
Old 07-30-2021, 09:58 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by semtex View Post
I have to buy another house. that's tons of headaches. move stuff to storage, rent living a few months, search for new house, bid/move in. That's why I need 10% premium at least. Maybe 10% not enough?
What's it worth to you? Price it accordingly. As an example...let's say the estimated value of a home is 500K. Cost to move (and where I don't TOUCH ANYTHING!): 25K. Time/expenses that are ancillary (to me, completely subjective): 25K. Premium to eager buyer: 30% value of home: 150K. So, total to "make me move"... about 700K.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Maybe I should just say no, but he was kind of eager to have my house.
Unless you had been thinking of selling your house already, then I don't see why a neighbor's out-of-the-blue enquiry should have any relevance to you. Selling your house, buying a new one, packing up and moving all your stuff... that's a major life undertaking. Not something that should be driven by a random neighbor's eagerness to buy your house.

If it were me, I would just say "No thanks, I'm not interested in selling or moving right now." Period.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 10:08 AM   #11

Quote:
My neighbor came over and offered to buy our house. I told him that we had no plan to move. He said he would like to pay some premium above the current market price.
I heard some rumor that my neighbor made some significant money last year.
My house market value is about 850K. the fee (realtor/gov/insurance) is around 55k. To have a slight better house in my neighborhood, in this hot market, it needs at least 10% premium, 85K. so the total is 990K.
Is this reasonable? The 990K could give him a shock. This 55K fee eats lot of meat. My net gain is 935K. Below this, I doubt we could have a better house.
We are neighbors about ten years. We get along well. Maybe I should just say no, but he was kind of eager to have my house.

If you have the buyer lined up, you don't need the realtor and the realtor fees. You can just have your contract reviewed by your real estate attorney, and then pay the title company for their services, which you do anyway on top of the realtor fees.

It sounds like you do not want to move, so if neighbor really wants your place then it is up to him to give a price you can't refuse. Have you thought about moving to a different location at all? Might be a chance to think about this, but it's the neighbor's move to give a price if he is serious. Although you have to at least tell him you will consider what he offered.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 10:21 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

You told your neighbor you had no plans to move and he asked again, but sweetened the pot by offering a premium. A little rude and pushy in my opinion, however, if you want to move, ask him to give you an offer. Be ready to counter offer, and move if he meets it! You are in the drivers seat here.

We currently live in a highly desirable and explosively expensive area. Heck, the house across the street and one 2 houses down were sold within a month of each other and the second one was $$150,000 more, similar layout, age and updates! Crazy.
No offer would entice me to move at this time, and I get mail offers, text offers, random real estate folks even drive by and leave stuff on our door! :-/
Old 07-30-2021, 10:23 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

So for an extra $85k you'd uproot everything and try to find another place to live?
That's just not worth it.
ikonomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 10:41 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

yes, the more I think about it, the more I feel the pain of moving.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:54 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
yes, the more I think about it, the more I feel the pain of moving.
I think that the fact that your neighbor finds your house so appealing is a good indication you have a great house and should not move.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 11:06 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacergal View Post
You told your neighbor you had no plans to move and he asked again, but sweetened the pot by offering a premium. A little rude and pushy in my opinion, however, if you want to move, ask him to give you an offer. Be ready to counter offer, and move if he meets it! You are in the drivers seat here.
-/
I missed one thing. after we said no. he explained that he was buying for his parents, both early 80s.
that made me seriously think about it.
Old 07-30-2021, 11:09 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Take the number you think it’s worth for you to move. Then add the amount that would bring you to the amount you would just not be able to turn down. Tell the neighbor you like your house and aren’t planning to move and wouldn’t even consider it unless someone offered ($ 2 M?), but that you can’t imagine anyone would. Use a very high number, one you don’t expect him to match but which you know you couldn’t turn down. And see where it goes.
Act2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 11:14 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
This. We also considered selling our home since it has appreciated so much, however all the houses that are available are way, WAY too expensive and if it's been recently built, I question the build quality (YMMV). So, we have stayed put.
+1 I would never sell my home, but if I wanted to sell I wouldn't do it in this market. YMMV

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 11:15 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I missed one thing. after we said no. he explained that he was buying for his parents, both early 80s.
that made me seriously think about it.
This is a business deal, not an act of charity. Ignore whatever stories he tells you about his parents. After he buys it, he might turn around and sell it for a profit, who knows?

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 11:37 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Is it just me that thinks the neighbor is an arrogant snob for even suggesting he should buy your house ...I find that creepy.

Tell him you find the whole thing to be in poor taste

Think the parents story is a load too.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote