Join Early Retirement Today

VFMXX and VBTLX - please augment my understanding
Old 03-18-2023, 07:24 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

VFMXX and VBTLX - please augment my understanding

Hi all.

I don't know a whole lot about bond mutual funds.

Suppose there exists an investor who has some money lying around in a taxable account. Federal tax rate of 22%, state tax rate of 5.8% with the typical rule where USGO is state tax exempt. No real plans for the money; it's sort of a cash reserve in case there is a big spike or one-off expense. The investor is well capitalized (~1.8% WR) and moderately aggressive risk-wise (~70/30 overall).

Currently the money is split about 46/54 between VFMXX and VBTLX.

VFMXX seems to be mostly invested in short term treasuries and is paying about 4.5%. As such, it seems like it will track short term rates with little to no lag.

VBTLX has more mid-term government paper and some investment grade corporates. Duration of six-ish years. Currently paying 4.3% or so. It seems like if interest rates drop in the future, the return on this fund would go up in the short term (because it would then be holding intermediate bonds paying higher interest) and then drop after a while (because those bonds would mature and be replaced by lower interest rate bonds).

Most people I know seem to think that rates may go somewhat higher in the near term, then level off and then drop off if inflation is deemed tamed and a recession starts. That's sort of what I think, but I'm pretty low confidence on the timing, direction, and duration of any of that - pretty much nobody expected SVB to collapse two weeks ago, for example.

Setting aside other potential investments (precious metals, CDs, MYGAs, individual bonds, etc.) and only focusing on these two funds:

1. Is my understanding of these two funds approximately on point?

2. Any suggestions regarding considerations between how the money is allocated between those two funds that the investor should consider?

Thanks!
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2023, 05:15 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When will the money be needed? It sounds like it's kind of an emergency fund.

If true, it shouldn't be in VBTLX...match your investments with the time horizon.
mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 06:11 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Your understanding is correct.

Looking just at the yields, the one with less state tax is preferable.

VBTLX is simply wrong for a taxable account, and the duration is too long for your purpose. Your need might come next month, for example.

We use Discover Bank (3.6%) and SWVXX money market (4.49%) for the purposes you mention.

We used to use a short-term tax exempt fund, but Vanguard closed ours.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 07:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfeh View Post
When will the money be needed? It sounds like it's kind of an emergency fund.

If true, it shouldn't be in VBTLX...match your investments with the time horizon.
+1

I have both of these funds- one for house purchase in the VMFXX needed later this year, and
the longer duration VBTLX for RMDs in about 6 years. VBTLX is in my IRA and VMFXX is in
my taxable brokerage at Vanguard.
Old 03-19-2023, 10:05 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
When will the money be needed?
Good question.

The taxable account sits between the IRA and the checking. IRA RMDs go in to the taxable every month, an automatic transfer goes out to checking to cover bills.

The current status quo is that the RMD amount exceeds the bill pay transfer amount by about 33%. Said another way, each month the taxable account gets about 1.2% added to the corpus.

At this point, the most likely use for the money would be to cover increased medical out of pocket. The timing and size of this increase is hard to predict. If I had to guess, I'd say the bill pay / medical outflow wouldn't exceed the RMD inflow for another year or two. At that point, it might exceed it for six months to a year at the rate of maybe 1% a month.

So the current corpus will probably never drop below 88% of it's current amount. (The current amount represents about 2.5 years of expenses at the current run rate. Each year of excess accumulation adds about 4 months of expenses.)
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
Old 03-19-2023, 10:10 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
VBTLX is simply wrong for a taxable account, and the duration is too long for your purpose.
Why do you say that VBTLX is simply wrong for a taxable account? It appears to have a better after tax yield than VMFXX for the tax brackets mentioned in the OP. At least at current yields; who knows what yields will do in the next year or three.

I'll consider the notion of a shorter term bond fund, thank you.
Old 03-19-2023, 12:04 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
Hi all
VBTLX has more mid-term government paper and some investment grade corporates. Duration of six-ish years. Currently paying 4.3% or so.
Thanks!
Note that VBTLX is not paying 4.3%. The dividend is about 2.9%. As far as I can tell, the SEC yield on bond funds is nonsense.
Old 03-19-2023, 04:19 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Mean View Post
Note that VBTLX is not paying 4.3%. The dividend is about 2.9%. As far as I can tell, the SEC yield on bond funds is nonsense.
+1. Woof-woof.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 05:04 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Right, thank you (and @pb4uski).

The 4.3% number was (obviously) the SEC yield from the fund information page.

Looking at a February statement, it lists a yield of 2.49% and the actual math (dividend / 12 * February month end value) is about 2.67%

The VMFXX yield doing the same math on the February statement is about 4.2%.

Sigh. You can't trust anyone any more.

As a result of all this, plus some thinking, will probably result in a modest remodel of this portion of the portfolio. I've got to consider everything though: the various investment risks, AA, taxes, asset placement, interest rates, more thorough thoughts about when the money might be needed and how much, etc.

I have some preliminary thoughts but need to let things marinate more.

I meant to say this earlier, but thanks to all for the various responses. I really appreciate them.
Old 03-19-2023, 09:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
+1. Woof-woof.
Quote:
Right, thank you (and @pb4uski).

The 4.3% number was (obviously) the SEC yield from the fund information page.

Looking at a February statement, it lists a yield of 2.49% and the actual math (dividend / 12 * February month end value) is about 2.67%

The VMFXX yield doing the same math on the February statement is about 4.2%.

Sigh. You can't trust anyone any more.

As a result of all this, plus some thinking, will probably result in a modest remodel of this portion of the portfolio. I've got to consider everything though: the various investment risks, AA, taxes, asset placement, interest rates, more thorough thoughts about when the money might be needed and how much, etc.

I have some preliminary thoughts but need to let things marinate more.

I meant to say this earlier, but thanks to all for the various responses. I really appreciate them.
You guys really need to do some reading on bond fund yields. These comments indicate a complete lack of understanding that will probably lead to poor decisions.
Old 03-19-2023, 09:39 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You guys really need to do some reading on bond fund yields. These comments indicate a complete lack of understanding that will probably lead to poor decisions.
I admitted at the top of the thread that I don't know much about this area. Original post, second paragraph.

If you would provide some pointers to educational resources that you think would be high quality providers of understanding rather than just stating the obvious and being critical without being constructive, I would appreciate it.

Alternatively, perhaps you could point out one or two points where you believe I lack understanding, I would appreciate being educated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-19-2023, 10:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Poor decisions like investing in bond funds?
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 11:09 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Trying to learn about a buy-at-issue-hold-to-maturity brokered CD ladder. Questions:

1. Is there a way to filter out callable CDs, or do I just have to look at the terms for each one? (So far most that I have looked at are not callable. I'd imagine that callable CDs are more common on longer term issues, like 5 years and longer.)

2. For example, I see a 5.25% new issue 2 year brokered CD from Morgan Stanley Bank (CUSIP 61690U3J7). What, generally speaking, is Morgan Stanley doing with that capital they're raising from me? I'd guess they're using it to invest in mortgages or credit cards or personal loans at higher rates, but it seems like they could get cheaper capital somewhere else. Maybe not.

3. Since these are all FDIC insured (amounts would be under FDIC limits) and assuming in this case I trust FDIC insurance, there seems to be little reason to worry about who the CD seller is, and just pick on coupon rate and interest payment schedule. What, if anything, is wrong with this view?
Old 03-20-2023, 03:20 AM   #14

FWIW the distribution yield for VBLTX has risen from 1.9% to 2.9% over the last 12 months. This lags the SEC yield but is catching up. Years ago when rates were declining I remember the opposite. Distribution yields where higher than the SEC yield. This gave everyone a heads up where the yields were headed. (down)

By the way, I see virtually identical performance between my bond ladders and my small bond fund holdings. I'm not selling either so it doesn't matter, but the losses are still there.
Old 03-20-2023, 04:04 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
Poor decisions like investing in bond funds?
I'm almost looking forward to all the "why did I sell by total bond fund?" messages that will appear on this board in a couple years.
Old 03-20-2023, 06:20 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm almost looking forward to all the "why did I sell by total bond fund?" messages that will appear on this board in a couple years.
Unlikely, so don't get your hopes up. I much prefer the additional control and transparency that I have with individual bonds over the black box of bond funds.

Old 03-20-2023, 06:38 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Trying to learn about a buy-at-issue-hold-to-maturity brokered CD ladder. Questions:

1. Is there a way to filter out callable CDs, or do I just have to look at the terms for each one? (So far most that I have looked at are not callable. I'd imagine that callable CDs are more common on longer term issues, like 5 years and longer.)

2. For example, I see a 5.25% new issue 2 year brokered CD from Morgan Stanley Bank (CUSIP 61690U3J7). What, generally speaking, is Morgan Stanley doing with that capital they're raising from me? I'd guess they're using it to invest in mortgages or credit cards or personal loans at higher rates, but it seems like they could get cheaper capital somewhere else. Maybe not.

3. Since these are all FDIC insured (amounts would be under FDIC limits) and assuming in this case I trust FDIC insurance, there seems to be little reason to worry about who the CD seller is, and just pick on coupon rate and interest payment schedule. What, if anything, is wrong with this view?
1. For Schwab as I recall it says callable in the description, I know for sure that it does for bonds and am pretty sure it does for CDs. Also, if you do an advanced search you can select just non-callable. I wouldn't shy away from callable if the yield were attractive enough, I have several callable GSE bonds.

2. What does it matter? That that are paying you 5.25% should be enough. Besides, you are not providing them capital since you are not buying MS common or preferred stock. They are likely using your CD money to make loans at more than 5.25% and it's as simple as that.

3. No, nothing wrong with that view. If it is FDIC insured I don't worry about the issuer. I avoid Bank of China and some other CDs for political reasons but not because of credit concerns.

Finally, I consider not only CDs, but also US Treasuries and GSE bonds as I view them all as having no or negligible credit risk. While currently brokered CDs are offering better yields, that isn't always the case and at times UST offer better yields and quite often GSE bonds offer even better yields but they are often callable. I don't mind some callable as long as I'm getting compensated for it.

Old 03-20-2023, 07:13 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Why do you say that VBTLX is simply wrong for a taxable account? It appears to have a better after tax yield than VMFXX for the tax brackets mentioned in the OP. At least at current yields; who knows what yields will do in the next year or three.

I'll consider the notion of a shorter term bond fund, thank you.
I don't know much about your situation with investments. We keep all taxable bond index funds in deferred tax accounts like IRA and SEP-IRA.

For VBTLX--I was thinking about this chart. It's two versions of the same concept. And tweaks apply depending on your tax bracket.

I suppose this chart is more about comparing two investments, and one choice is more or less tax-efficient in taxable account(s).
Attached Images
File Type: png tax-efficiency.png (21.6 KB, 31 views)
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 08:28 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Unlikely, so don't get your hopes up. I much prefer the additional control and transparency that I have with individual bonds over the black box of bond funds.
and the capital preservation, higher yields...
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 12:04 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Quote:
Useful.

The dividend is what it is. Currently $0.021782 per share on $9.50 NAV. If you bought anytime between 2013 and 2021 your dividend yield is even worse and you've lost capital.