Join Early Retirement Today

VG vs. Fidelity : exp ratio comparisons?
Old 05-13-2008, 04:36 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

VG vs. Fidelity : exp ratio comparisons?

Has anyone done an analysis of VG versus Fidelity expense ratios for their different index (or any other) funds?

I'm looking at a place to park my 401k to Roth IRA account funds.

Thanks.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2008, 04:40 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

They are available at their respective sites and you don't have to have an account to see them. Without knowing which funds you're interested in, not sure how we'd answer, there are quite a few at Vanguard and probably Fido too.

I was with Fido for about 10 years and switched to Vanguard mostly because there were far more index funds (that I wanted to put my money in) at Vanguard. I could not emulate Four Pillars at Fido whereas I could at Vanguard, but that may have changed by now. Good luck...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 04:46 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by megacorp-firee View Post
Has anyone done an analysis of VG versus Fidelity expense ratios for their different index (or any other) funds?
Not an "analysis" but almost every time I have compared like index funds between the two companies, Vgd has one, with few exceptions. Usually the difference is small.

You don't have to guess - just select the type of fund you want and compare them - be sure you are comparing apples to apples, though.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 05:50 PM   #4

I know off hand Fidelity Spartan 500 Index fund is .10 %

Vanguards SP 500 index fund is .15%

I really dont find a huge variance between the two companies.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 09:04 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

We have accounts with both Fidelity and Vanguard. We have comparable funds at both places and in general I found that Fido's ERs are higher. For example:

Fido diversified International ER=0.91% Vs. Vanguard total International ER=0.27% (Fido's fund is not a pure index fund per se but it does loosely track the same index as the Vanguard fund).
Fido Equity income ER=0.66% Vs. Vanguard equity income ER=0.29%
Fido US bond index ER=0.31% Vs. Vanguard total bond index ER=0.19%

One exception: Fido's Spartan lineup seems to have very competitive ERs.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 10:04 PM   #6

Ok, got it on just going to each fund and comparing... I have found that VG is a bit more cost effective (small differences).

Those of you with experience in both VG and Fido, what about the service or any other items that I should consider.

btw, here are the VG funds I was considering;
VFINX - Large Blend
VISVX - Small Value
VGSIX - REIT
VEURX - European Index
VPACX - Pacific Index
VEIEX - Emerging Mkt Idx
VTRIX - Int'l Value
VBMFX - Total Bond
VIPSX - Inflation Protected

Thanks.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:01 PM   #7

We have accounts with both Fido and Vanguard. I also just completed an onerous process transferring my recently deceased Mom's asset through the Vanguard process.
The short answer is Fido will do it best to find a way to make reasonable things work, while Vanguard will send you a form and do nothing until it is filled out to their liking. Most recent example, I converted an old Fido mutual fund account to a brokerage so I could transfer some brokeage assets from my Mom's estate. Fido no longer allows new accounts to use Cash Reserves as the Brokerage Account clearing account and now use something called FCash which has a yield about half Cash Reserves. I called and asked since the Cash Resrv account was in place that the Fcash rule be waived. The Private Access rep looked at the account and said he would try to make it work. No forms, no written request with guarantees, etc which I would get from Vanguard. He did make it happen, end of issue with a call of less than 5 min.
Last fall, Vanguard unilaterally decided all beneficiaries should be converted to Transfer on Death structures from a Paid on Death. Since my 86 yo Mom did not understand what they were asking she ignored it. Vanguard made the conversions anyway and a manner that fundamentally changed my Mom's estate distribution. Had I not accidently caught it, we would have had untold problems when she passed in March.
If you are a buy and hold mutual funds only investor, than Vanguard black and white rule environment probably will not be an issue. If you have anything going more complicated than vanilla, you will find a fair share of frustration with Vanguard.
Nwsteve
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 11:09 PM   #8

Ive had good customer service with both. Only 1 problem with each company and they handled it promptly and professionally.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:16 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Why do you guys love FIDO so much when they say they are no-load but cater to FA's??

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 12:23 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Why do you guys love FIDO so much when they say they are no-load but cater to FA's??
Because they are no load and have low ER's? They can french kiss you all day as long as they don't pay you to do it at my expense!
youbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:41 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Fidelity has some loaded funds, some no-load fund (high fees), and some very low no-load funds (mainly index funds).

I think Fido has the low cost index funds to compete with VG.

IMO - Fido is reputable... But I prefer VG. If you look at their entire line-up VG is lower cost. Fido may have some funds that perform better.

These days, I want reasonable market performance and diversification. The low cost deals with market performance are fine for me.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:39 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

For my bigger roll-over to Vgd they assigned me a special rep. She walked me through every step. She set up conference calls with the external companies and documented everything they told me needed to be done. She dogged them (and me here and there) about just what forms were pending, etc. Yes it was s tedious process, but she watched over every detail and transaction.

I was impressed. She even called after the deal was done to make sure I had no further needs. Then she conferenced by "Flagship" advisor and introduced us.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:32 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by megacorp-firee View Post
Use Morningstar and/or MAXfunds.com | A better way of looking at mutual funds. (among many, many other choices) to compare for yourself. The results will be more reliable than any other method.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:57 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Because they are no load and have low ER's? They can french kiss you all day as long as they don't pay you to do it at my expense!
Uh, ever hear of the Fidelity Advisor funds? About 40% of Fido's money is in those,and they are NOT no-load............

Maybe it's just funny to me. Something is funny about a "no-load" company staying "quiet" about the fact that they also have load funds........

Old 05-14-2008, 10:01 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Uh, ever hear of the Fidelity Advisor funds? About 40% of Fido's money is in those,and they are NOT no-load...........
Maybe. But some of the insurance companies that have the best low-cost term life also sell whole life. Some automakers who make some of the most economical cars also make gas guzzlers. Some grocers who specialize in stocking a lot of healthy foods have some that are a nutritionist's nightmare.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:21 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Since I can get the lowest expense ratios simply buy buying ETFs, I have little interest in moving my accounts to Vanguard. I have a small account at Fido and everything else with Schwab. The Fido account is a solo 401k. Fido made the setup very easy, answers all my stoopid tax and andministrative questions, doesn't fee me to death, and all for a low 5 figures account. Interface is basic and commissions are a little high, but it works.

Since Schwab fired Potruck, dumped US Trust and stopped trying to go upscale by alienating all of their mass market clients, service has been (IMO) flawless. They do everything I ask, answer questions, bend the rules once in a while, waive fees, etc. Commissions are very reasonable, and if there is ever a real problem I have the name of a rep assigned to me in the local office (who politely calls annually, gets told by DW that her husband is in the business and "we don't want any," and leaves it at that). Their index funds are overpriced, but since I can buy ETFs with miniscule expense ratios, I really could care less.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:40 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Since I can get the lowest expense ratios simply buy buying ETFs, I have little interest in moving my accounts to Vanguard. I have a small account at Fido and everything else with Schwab. The Fido account is a solo 401k. Fido made the setup very easy, answers all my stoopid tax and andministrative questions, doesn't fee me to death, and all for a low 5 figures account. Interface is basic and commissions are a little high, but it works.

Since Schwab fired Potruck, dumped US Trust and stopped trying to go upscale by alienating all of their mass market clients, service has been (IMO) flawless. They do everything I ask, answer questions, bend the rules once in a while, waive fees, etc. Commissions are very reasonable, and if there is ever a real problem I have the name of a rep assigned to me in the local office (who politely calls annually, gets told by DW that her husband is in the business and "we don't want any," and leaves it at that). Their index funds are overpriced, but since I can buy ETFs with miniscule expense ratios, I really could care less.
I am a fellow Schwabee, and before that, was in the original Rose discount brokerage house before it became Schwab. I do the same thing you do, and am most satisfied with their service, and fees.
MGYog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:51 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Maybe. But some of the insurance companies that have the best low-cost term life also sell whole life. Some automakers who make some of the most economical cars also make gas guzzlers. Some grocers who specialize in stocking a lot of healthy foods have some that are a nutritionist's nightmare.
Not a good comparison.........

If VG did that, you guys would be PISSED!!!

Old 05-14-2008, 10:54 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not a good comparison.........

If VG did that, you guys would be PISSED!!!
Heh. "You guys?" I like Vanguard, but I don't drink the Kool-Aid.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:58 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Heh. "You guys?" I like Vanguard, but I don't drink the Kool-Aid.
Exactly. You need to be very careful when making comments about Vanguard. I flinch every time I do since I expect some knock at my door from a mob

Tags
fidelity