VGSIX (Vanguard REIT Index) really took a hit today

Telly

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Down 3.65% on Monday. May have been the biggest drop for the years I have owned it.

Yeah my 401k took a huge hit today as well, and I'm heavily invested in REIT and Developing Markets.

Fortunately, I still strongly believe in REIT and DM long-term and don't expect to withdraw anything for several decades so losing several thousand dollars in a day (for the second time in the last week) doesn't bother me much.

Too late, it missed me. I moved most of my VG REIT into Target 2015 a couple of weeks ago. Taking the advice of people on this forum I saved the profit and some of the original investment. Y'all are so smart (sometimes). I still have a tad in VGSIX, but it can't kill me now if it went to zero.

CyclingInvestor said:
The REIT drop of April 2004 was pretty nasty. The
worst days were :

-3.9% Apr 5 2004
-4.1% Apr 6 2004
-5.0% Apr 12 2004

This didn't seem familiar... so I looked up when I first bought my initial VGSIX. It was right after this! Purely luck. I have no plans to reduce my small holding, still believe in the asset-class low correlation over time.

You didn't have to wait long for a recovery. Vanguard's REIT ETF is already up 3.5% today.

But with the low yield, I don't see this ending well.

Hmm, I was about to buy into this fund. Should I put my cash elsewhere? I currently have no REIT exposure and own no real estate. I won't be ready to purchase a home for probably two or three more years. Figured I'd dump 10% of my portfolio into this and slowly ween it down to 5% as I made more investments.

Thoughts?

Interesting thread / timing ... I plan to put the miniumum in for VGSIX, and then DCA a bit each month. I believe in the asset class as well, but wouldn't be surprised if I buy in as it trends down.

I like real estate a great deal, but would prefer to hsve some of the benefits, with a bit less of the brain damage, and illiquidity ...

Back
Top Bottom