Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-29-2011, 12:18 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Some cards at this level make sense for some people. The Amex Platinum at one time gave you access to all the airline lounges. When I was doing a lot of global travel for business it was worth having. Now it is not.
l2ridehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2011, 12:49 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Some cards at this level make sense for some people. The Amex Platinum at one time gave you access to all the airline lounges. When I was doing a lot of global travel for business it was worth having. Now it is not.
That was my take on it as well. BiL is a world traveler and I talked him into getting the AmEx platinum just for that. He even managed to get his company to pick up the annual fee so it's all gravy for him.

Mine is the purple looking SPG awards card. I get comments and second looks all the time from cashiers/waitresses, "I've never seen a card that color". Can't say that it gets me better service or respect or anything like that.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:56 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The card that might be worth it for some that does a lot of business traveling.

I'll keep my no fee card for now.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:27 PM   #24

I got that same wonderful offer for Visa Black. The laughter I derived from it was free though.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:08 PM   #25

Interestingly, I can buy a magnetic stripe encoder and make my own card out of any color I like for less than $495. Do you suppose it's legal to make your own card including the magnetic account info if it's a legitimate copy of your own real account? I could have a different color card for every day of the week.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:44 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
Received an invitation of a per-qualified VISA Black card.
I also received this opportunity recently. I returned the application. I wrote this on the app "No thanks. Remove my name from your list"

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:45 PM   #27

I have a Sea Turtle on my Discovercard.
grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:15 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Boo hoo, I didn't get a Visa Black card offer. I feel so inferior. I can't believe you folks didn't rush out to take advantage of this amazing offer. I bet you folks don't have a different Rolex for each day of the week.

Actually it is very clever of you all to flaunt your elite status on this forum, and not even have to pay $495 to do so.

I pity the advertisers hawking high end prestige products trying to get money out of this forum.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:23 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
I have a Sea Turtle on my Discovercard.
I have a red eyed tree frog.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:50 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I have a fancy Chase Sapphire Visa card. It has a thin metal sheet wedged between the plastic faces. Makes the card noticeably heavy and has brought occasionally awkward attention to me. Cashier at Pier 1 imports put me in the category of Lee Ann Rimes and some other quasi famous person when she mentioned fancy credit cards. And later at a Taco Bell, the employees were all admiring my credit card, and I think I had a few young ladies almost propose to me because they thought I was rich. They were saying things like "wow, how does someone get one of these cards? You must have a lot of money, huh?". Little did they know that Chase paid me $1000 to sign up for that credit card.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:58 PM   #31

The only one that has any real bragging rights is Amex black. Rumor is you have to spend $250,000 per year minimum on the card to qualify.
LARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:37 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members.

Groucho Marx

I'll stick with my FREE Pentagon Federal Credit Union Platinum Rewards Visa that give me 5% back on all gas purchases. Or, to paraphrase a famous Winston Churchill quote:

"Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, pay for a credit card. Never pay. Never pay. Never pay."
Old 10-30-2011, 04:30 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Boo hoo, I didn't get a Visa Black card offer. I feel so inferior. I can't believe you folks didn't rush out to take advantage of this amazing offer. I bet you folks don't have a different Rolex for each day of the week.

Actually it is very clever of you all to flaunt your elite status on this forum, and not even have to pay $495 to do so.
I wouldn't get in too big of a hurry to be impressed. Going on memory, it is my understanding that the card is offered to those who are meeting minimum (and very excessive) expenditures per year on their existing cards.

In all fairness, I realize that some pay their balances off every month anyway. But this is one thing I actually agree with Dave Ramsey on - you play with snakes and it's just a matter of time before you get bit.

As someone who uses either cash or debit cards to pay for 90% of what I do, I stand approximately zero chance of ever getting one of these offers.
slazenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:37 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I have a red eyed tree frog.
What a way to make a guy feel low class. I just have an ordinary white Visa card with the credit union's logo on it and another platinum (or is it only silver? I forget.) with the bank's logo on it.

No tree frogs or grasshoppers or any socially redeeming characteristics at all.

But then again, the cards are fee-free.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:36 AM   #35
Administrator

This thread has made me feel somewhat deprived in that Visa has never sent me an offer for a "Visa Black" that I could then reject...
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:59 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARS View Post
The only one that has any real bragging rights is Amex black. Rumor is you have to spend $250,000 per year minimum on the card to qualify.
Not sure about that, but I understand the Amex black card has a $5K initiation fee and $2,500 annual fee. Guaranteed to impress the clerk at 7-11 when you use it to buy that beef jerky.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:58 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Remember when the Gold card was the status symbol? Then came platinum, and now black and sapphire. I wonder when diamond and kryptonite cards become the "it" cards?
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:55 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
What a way to make a guy feel low class. I just have an ordinary white Visa card with the credit union's logo on it and another platinum (or is it only silver? I forget.) with the bank's logo on it.

No tree frogs or grasshoppers or any socially redeeming characteristics at all.

But then again, the cards are fee-free.
Discover has recently started offering all sorts of designs on their cards. Still fee free and no extra cost. I wouldn't do it otherwise. Interestingly, I've had the tree frog for about a year and it's already starting to have problems getting read at the POS locations. That's point of service, not the other acronym. So I'll have to request a new card soon. I should go online and look at the new designs.

Actually, I saw an ad somewhere (may have been Discover) where you can upload your own picture and have it printed on your card. I'll have to check and see if that's free too.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:03 PM   #39
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Actually, I saw an ad somewhere (may have been Discover) where you can upload your own picture and have it printed on your card. I'll have to check and see if that's free too.
Been there and done that. I can't remember which bank it was, but many years ago we had our pictures on our Visa cards, apparently to decrease fraud as signatures were never checked. A few months after we got our picture id CC's supermarkets introduced those hands-off credit card swipers where you swipe your own card and the cashier never gets to see your card or your photo
Old 10-30-2011, 10:20 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

I got this goofy black card offer too (I get at least 5 CC apps a week). My first thought was that it would be so cool to get that fancy card and toss it around to every waiter/waitress/cashier/attendant, so they could write my name down, find my home address and pay me a visit at 3:00 in the morning with their friends Smith and Wesson. All of only $495 a year - what a deal!