VISA Black Invitation

Boo hoo, I didn't get a Visa Black card offer. I feel so inferior. I can't believe you folks didn't rush out to take advantage of this amazing offer. I bet you folks don't have a different Rolex for each day of the week.

Actually it is very clever of you all to flaunt your elite status on this forum, and not even have to pay $495 to do so.

I pity the advertisers hawking high end prestige products trying to get money out of this forum.

I have a fancy Chase Sapphire Visa card. It has a thin metal sheet wedged between the plastic faces. Makes the card noticeably heavy and has brought occasionally awkward attention to me. Cashier at Pier 1 imports put me in the category of Lee Ann Rimes and some other quasi famous person when she mentioned fancy credit cards. And later at a Taco Bell, the employees were all admiring my credit card, and I think I had a few young ladies almost propose to me because they thought I was rich. They were saying things like "wow, how does someone get one of these cards? You must have a lot of money, huh?". Little did they know that Chase paid me $1000 to sign up for that credit card. :)

The only one that has any real bragging rights is Amex black. Rumor is you have to spend $250,000 per year minimum on the card to qualify.

I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members.

Groucho Marx

I'll stick with my FREE Pentagon Federal Credit Union Platinum Rewards Visa that give me 5% back on all gas purchases. Or, to paraphrase a famous Winston Churchill quote:

"Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, pay for a credit card. Never pay. Never pay. Never pay."

Last edited:
Boo hoo, I didn't get a Visa Black card offer. I feel so inferior. I can't believe you folks didn't rush out to take advantage of this amazing offer. I bet you folks don't have a different Rolex for each day of the week.

Actually it is very clever of you all to flaunt your elite status on this forum, and not even have to pay $495 to do so.

I wouldn't get in too big of a hurry to be impressed. Going on memory, it is my understanding that the card is offered to those who are meeting minimum (and very excessive) expenditures per year on their existing cards.

In all fairness, I realize that some pay their balances off every month anyway. But this is one thing I actually agree with Dave Ramsey on - you play with snakes and it's just a matter of time before you get bit.

As someone who uses either cash or debit cards to pay for 90% of what I do, I stand approximately zero chance of ever getting one of these offers.

I have a red eyed tree frog.

What a way to make a guy feel low class.:LOL: I just have an ordinary white Visa card with the credit union's logo on it and another platinum (or is it only silver? I forget.) with the bank's logo on it.

No tree frogs or grasshoppers or any socially redeeming characteristics at all.:(

But then again, the cards are fee-free.

This thread has made me feel somewhat deprived in that Visa has never sent me an offer for a "Visa Black" that I could then reject...

The only one that has any real bragging rights is Amex black. Rumor is you have to spend $250,000 per year minimum on the card to qualify.

Not sure about that, but I understand the Amex black card has a $5K initiation fee and $2,500 annual fee. Guaranteed to impress the clerk at 7-11 when you use it to buy that beef jerky.

Remember when the Gold card was the status symbol? Then came platinum, and now black and sapphire. I wonder when diamond and kryptonite cards become the "it" cards?

What a way to make a guy feel low class.:LOL: I just have an ordinary white Visa card with the credit union's logo on it and another platinum (or is it only silver? I forget.) with the bank's logo on it.

No tree frogs or grasshoppers or any socially redeeming characteristics at all.:(

But then again, the cards are fee-free.

Discover has recently started offering all sorts of designs on their cards. Still fee free and no extra cost. I wouldn't do it otherwise. Interestingly, I've had the tree frog for about a year and it's already starting to have problems getting read at the POS locations. That's point of service, not the other acronym. So I'll have to request a new card soon. I should go online and look at the new designs.

Actually, I saw an ad somewhere (may have been Discover) where you can upload your own picture and have it printed on your card. I'll have to check and see if that's free too.

Actually, I saw an ad somewhere (may have been Discover) where you can upload your own picture and have it printed on your card. I'll have to check and see if that's free too.

Been there and done that. I can't remember which bank it was, but many years ago we had our pictures on our Visa cards, apparently to decrease fraud as signatures were never checked. A few months after we got our picture id CC's supermarkets introduced those hands-off credit card swipers where you swipe your own card and the cashier never gets to see your card or your photo :LOL:

I got this goofy black card offer too (I get at least 5 CC apps a week). My first thought was that it would be so cool to get that fancy card and toss it around to every waiter/waitress/cashier/attendant, so they could write my name down, find my home address and pay me a visit at 3:00 in the morning with their friends Smith and Wesson. All of only $495 a year - what a deal!

I have a fancy Chase Sapphire Visa card. It has a thin metal sheet wedged between the plastic faces. Makes the card noticeably heavy and has brought occasionally awkward attention to me. Cashier at Pier 1 imports put me in the category of Lee Ann Rimes and some other quasi famous person when she mentioned fancy credit cards. And later at a Taco Bell, the employees were all admiring my credit card, and I think I had a few young ladies almost propose to me because they thought I was rich. They were saying things like "wow, how does someone get one of these cards? You must have a lot of money, huh?". Little did they know that Chase paid me $1000 to sign up for that credit card. :)

Maybe I will have to see if I can find mine.... I never called to activate them when they sent them because the rewards were not as good as my other ones I had... I know they are somewhere in the house....:ROFLMAO:

PS... I did get pissed off because the card I did have before was one of my best reward cards...

It is Cap One...

I have a fancy Chase Sapphire Visa card. It has a thin metal sheet wedged between the plastic faces. Makes the card noticeably heavy and has brought occasionally awkward attention to me.

By coincidence, I received an invitation for one of these in the mail today.
I was casually reading it out of curiosity when something jumped out at me. The letter was addressed to someone else, who lives about a mile away. The application was pre-filled out in that same person's name. But the envelope it all came in was addressed correctly to me.

With that kind of inattention to detail, I wonder how well they handle the accounts.
:D

Been there and done that. I can't remember which bank it was, but many years ago we had our pictures on our Visa cards, apparently to decrease fraud as signatures were never checked. A few months after we got our picture id CC's supermarkets introduced those hands-off credit card swipers where you swipe your own card and the cashier never gets to see your card or your photo :LOL:

Sorry, I wasn't clear. You can upload any picture you want (kid's drawing, pet, DW in her scanties, etc) and they'll put that on the card. I remember the one's with your photo on it for security. Yeah, that didn't work out so well. And according to Texas Proud it's Capital One, which I also have.

PS... I did get pissed off because the card I did have before was one of my best reward cards...

Chase converted me from Cash Rewards (or something like that) with 5% back on gas/groceries/drug store, to Freedom card, which is 5% back on random categories that change every 3 months. After dealing with this for a few months, I think the 5% back on changing categories is too cumbersome to manage every quarter for the relatively modest rewards (since I can get 2% back automatically on other cards).

Although I did get a funny reaction out of a cashier at the chinese restaurant this weekend when she saw my Freedom card with a sticker that said "Restaurants Only" taped to the face of my card. We had a little conversation about credit cards and how to get 5% back on some stuff.

Chase converted me from Cash Rewards (or something like that) with 5% back on gas/groceries/drug store, to Freedom card, which is 5% back on random categories that change every 3 months. After dealing with this for a few months, I think the 5% back on changing categories is too cumbersome to manage every quarter for the relatively modest rewards (since I can get 2% back automatically on other cards).

Although I did get a funny reaction out of a cashier at the chinese restaurant this weekend when she saw my Freedom card with a sticker that said "Restaurants Only" taped to the face of my card. We had a little conversation about credit cards and how to get 5% back on some stuff.

Yes, I got coverted to the Freedom Card also... from the 5% cash back Rewards...

Now, I already HAD a Freedom card that gives 3% cash back on five of your highest spending categories (3 if you do not have an account) for the month... So now I have TWO Freedom cards that have different reward programs... the only difference is one is Visa the other Mastercard..

The problem that I have with my wife is she can not remember which Freedom card to use at which place... and she will not let me put a sticker on her card :mad:...

I completely agree.... the reward program is [-]crap[/-] cumbersome... like the Discover card program... if you fail to 'sign up' for the rewards you do not get them... the only good think I can say is that their amount you can spend is much higher than Discover...

Still, I will be jumping through the hoops to get that money.... it does add up if you do it right...

Remember when the Gold card was the status symbol? Then came platinum, and now black and sapphire. I wonder when diamond and kryptonite cards become the "it" cards?

I'm waiting for the plutonium card. :)

Yes, I got coverted to the Freedom Card also... from the 5% cash back Rewards...

Now, I already HAD a Freedom card that gives 3% cash back on five of your highest spending categories (3 if you do not have an account) for the month... So now I have TWO Freedom cards that have different reward programs... the only difference is one is Visa the other Mastercard..

The problem that I have with my wife is she can not remember which Freedom card to use at which place... and she will not let me put a sticker on her card :mad:...

I completely agree.... the reward program is [-]crap[/-] cumbersome... like the Discover card program... if you fail to 'sign up' for the rewards you do not get them... the only good think I can say is that their amount you can spend is much higher than Discover...

Still, I will be jumping through the hoops to get that money.... it does add up if you do it right...

I believe we have 5 or 6 different Freedom cards now, but all under the Ultimate Rewards (tm) program with the same 5% back in certain categories. Also annoying is the opt in requirement each quarter.

DW has issues with the requirement to know which card to use, but she is ok with the stickers on the cards. She doesn't have a problem slumming it with me! ;)

Back
Top Bottom