Join Early Retirement Today

VISA Black Invitation
Old 10-29-2011, 08:49 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

VISA Black Invitation

Received an invitation of a per-qualified VISA Black card. The annual fee is $495.
Is the provider of the card actually expect many people to sign up? Have you received such invitation? If so, have you signed up and why?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2011, 08:51 AM   #2
gone traveling

"A man (or woman) is not measured by the color, nor the logo of his/her credit card"....

Yeah, I just made that up ...

Looks like they are looking for folks to take the bait, IMHO...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:04 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'll send you a royal purple one for $350.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:10 AM   #4

For $450 you can get an AmEx Platinum which is a better card by far.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:15 AM   #5
Administrator

All the credit cards have levels, they all charge a fee, they all promise exclusivity, and to an certain extent they are legit. That is, it lets cardholders feel in some way superior because they belong to a more exclusive group and it tells merchants that the cardholder has more money. American Express is really good at this.

The cards usually brings benefits that have actual financial value for a few people. For most, having an exclusive card is a benefit for the issuer because it allows them to target their offers with much greater precision, which they do without hesitation. In effect it is a double value for the issuer: a higher fee and a more valuable marketing target.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
Received an invitation of a per-qualified VISA Black card. The annual fee is $495.
Is the provider of the card actually expect many people to sign up? Have you received such invitation? If so, have you signed up and why?
I think its for people who want/need 24hr concierge service.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
I think its for people who want/need 24hr concierge service.
and a sense of superiority.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:34 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Why, we are in that exclusive club that gets Visa Black cards offers at least weekly! Woo hoo.

We have 2 not-black Visa cards we use for travel that were upped to Signature status, who knows why. No fee, and they also offer 24/7 concierge service (in fact, they offer most of what the "Black" card does). Which we will likely never use but at least we're not paying for the card.

Signature Visa benefits (on top of existing benefits like miles, etc.): Visa Signature Credit Card Benefits | Visa USA

Black Visa benefits (site won't open for me beyond the main page): https://www.blackcard.com/
Old 10-29-2011, 09:40 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I got that invite, too, and I think I slapped my forehead in much the same way. Isn't the card made of carbon fiber, or some such? At first I was excited, thinking it might have a better cash back deal than my current platinum card, then as I read the details I think I said out loud, "Wait, you want me to PAY YOU to help you make more merchant exchange fees"
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:04 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

What a gyp!

There's a sucker born every minute. Ever feel like every business in the world is constantly trying to chip away at your nestegg in one way or another? I do. (I'm mad that my basic landline went up $1.42/month and thinking of cancelling). And yet, they expect me to jump at the idea of paying $495/12 = $41.25/month for their stupid Visa card that I don't even need.

Not likely...

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:16 AM   #11

But just imagine the prestige of pulling the Black Card out in a restaurant and having everyone thinking how stupid you are.

I was just thinking that I got rid of my Debit card last month because of a $4 fee. (heh)
Old 10-29-2011, 10:20 AM   #12
Dryer sheet aficionado

I got one of those "exclusive invitations" last week too. I was astounded at the fees. The card has a "carbon fiber" print, but the letter says it's "made from carbon". Yeah, all plastic is made from carbon...
RockMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:20 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
But just imagine the prestige of pulling the Black Card out in a restaurant and having everyone thinking how stupid you are.
I just pull out cash so instead of impressing everyone, they probably marvel at how crass I am. I could care less.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:28 AM   #14
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I just pull out cash so instead of impressing everyone, they probably marvel at how crass I am. I could care less.
Nothing beats the feeling of a nice thick wallet filled with $1s
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:31 AM   #15

Quote:
Yup, how stupid are people to pay a credit card company or bank to use your own money.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:40 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Nothing beats the feeling of a nice thick wallet filled with $1s
It does help that I can carry it in a purse - -
Quote:
Yup, how stupid are people to pay a credit card company or bank to use your own money.
Everybody wants a piece of our nesteggs in this economy.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:42 AM   #17

I have a regular ordinary VISA card (Alaska Airlines affinity card), but the card itself is almost all black. Does that mean I should expect waiters and store clerks to start mistaking me for a high-roller who thinks nothing of dropping $495 a year for the color of my credit card. Should I start to expect more fawning attention?
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:13 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
I have a regular ordinary VISA card (Alaska Airlines affinity card), but the card itself is almost all black. Does that mean I should expect waiters and store clerks to start mistaking me for a high-roller who thinks nothing of dropping $495 a year for the color of my credit card. Should I start to expect more fawning attention?
If I were next to you I'd be thinking there is one of those guys who spent $495 for a credit card, what a dummy.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:30 AM   #19

Quote:
If I were next to you I'd be thinking there is one of those guys who spent $495 for a credit card, what a dummy.
It seems likely that most people are unaware of the prestige or fee that card incurs and therefore completely oblivious to someone using it.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:48 AM   #20

Quote:
There's a only a single member of the sucker special, elite class of people born every in any given minute.
Fixed it for you.