Join Early Retirement Today

Voluntary simplicity
Old 11-10-2008, 01:55 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Voluntary simplicity

Do you keep a stressful job to support a sumptuous lifestyle? Take inventory and decide if it's time for a change.

"I believe the definition of being 'rich' is no longer a large dollar (figure). I define it as an excess of both time and money. For frugal individuals, this can happen long before retirement and is not dependent on your income level," says Trent Lickteig, a Chartered Retirement Planning Counselor in Scottsdale, Ariz.

"The two most important assets you can have in the current economy -- and it's not gold, and God knows it's not stock and it's not your house -- but in my opinion, the two greatest assets you can have are no debt and, maybe most important, the ability to live very happily on very little," says Jeffrey Yeager, author of "The Ultimate Cheapskate's Road Map to True Riches."

Be frugal and join the voluntary simplicity movement
Boxkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2008, 03:21 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm sure you're preaching to the choir, but always good to be reminded of the importance of voluntary simplicity.
CompoundInterestFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:23 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxkicker View Post
"The two most important assets you can have in the current economy -- and it's not gold, and God knows it's not stock and it's not your house -- but in my opinion, the two greatest assets you can have are no debt and, maybe most important, the ability to live very happily on very little," says Jeffrey Yeager, author of "The Ultimate Cheapskate's Road Map to True Riches."
The Cheapskate himself will be along shortly to thank you for the plug...

BTW, I'm a big fan of voluntary simplicity. The involuntary variety - not so much...
Old 11-10-2008, 03:53 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompoundInterestFan View Post
I'm sure you're preaching to the choir, but always good to be reminded of the importance of voluntary simplicity.
Definitely.

Welcome to the club.

Once you get on board with it life is better.

Remember balance. It is important to enjoy life along the way. What good is it to live frugally and not enjoy the fruits of your life; or to die with a large bank account but with a large "life experience/fun debt".

Also, remember it can color your thinking in a negative way if you take it to an extreme. Look at the posts about being afraid to spend or can not spend etc.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:54 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

A simple life is better. No doubt.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:10 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
BTW, I'm a big fan of voluntary simplicity. The involuntary variety - not so much...
I'm sure we'll get to experience both at one time or another...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:16 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Here is a web site I haven't visited for a few years, but I used to read it from time to time. Started by a guy who seemed to me to be doing a pretty good job of keeping his life simple.

Unconventional Ideas
Old 11-10-2008, 06:23 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
A simple life is better. No doubt.
"Some find it pleasant, dining on pheasant
Those things roll off my knife...
Just serve me tomatoes and mashed potatoes
Give me the simple life."

Old 11-10-2008, 06:59 PM   #9
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I got plenty of nothing
And nothing's plenty for me

Old 11-10-2008, 07:10 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Do you keep a stressful job to support a sumptuous lifestyle?
No, I live simply and I keep a stressful job so that I can retire that much faster.

Quote:
" in my opinion, the two greatest assets you can have are no debt and, maybe most important, the ability to live very happily on very little," says Jeffrey Yeager, author of "The Ultimate Cheapskate's Road Map to True Riches."
Jeffrey is quite right. And in that sense, I am doing pretty well. However, I intend to use these tools to help me gain the one asset that I think is worth working for, which is retirement and time of my own.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:18 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
"Some find it pleasant, dining on pheasant
Those things roll off my knife...
Just serve me tomatoes and mashed potatoes
Give me the simple life."

The former Hoosier who penned those lines led anything but a simple life. I believe in the sentiment he's expressing though.

By the way ha, expect a letter from Cole's lawyers suing your pants off for copping even four lines of his work w/o paying him. Well, his estate anyway.
Consult with only myself as your adviser or representative. My thoughts should be construed as investment advice of the highest caliber. Past performance is but a pale shadow and guarantee of even greater results in the future.
barbarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:40 AM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The simple life has it's charms, but they are even sweeter when you don't have to live that way.

What was it somebody once said about: "Money can't solve all your problems, but lack-of-money is just one less problem for people who have it."
Old 11-11-2008, 04:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texarkandy View Post
The simple life has it's charms, but they are even sweeter when you don't have to live that way.
I guess it makes the difference when you choose to live that way. DW and I talked about it a lot - if we had stayed where we were, if I'd finished the MS in Information Systems and gone with a defense contractor, if she'd stayed with FDA, our income would be around $300k/year by now.

But, when six months after we moved, friends and family said we were both more relaxed than they'd ever seen us, we knew we'd made the right choice.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:06 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Aaah, life's lessons....I learned sometime ago that money is nothing more than security and freedom...it's so simple really, and once a person develops the mindset, everything falls into place.

AND there is a huge difference between being miserly,as opposed to mindful.
My darling and beautiful lil sis is locked into a stressful job because she found it necessary to build a custom 3500 sq.ft. house (it is spectacular) and drive a brand spanking new Escalade. I love her and am devastated by the stress in her life - I wish I could make her understand that she doesn't have to live that way! On the other hand, she would never live as I do - snug little ranch house (no mortgage)with a 10 year old vehicle in the driveway.
slimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:43 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

I love the fact that simple living gives me options. I find it powerful. I was able to get an advanced degree with no debt because I was willing to live very, very simply while in grad school. I made 1/3 of what my roommates made, but I was happy with my life and a year later moved out and on, while they were still stuck on the debt-spend-debt-spend cycle.

My trouble? Wanting to spread the gospel of simplicity, when really, most people don't want to hear it.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:02 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texarkandy View Post

What was it somebody once said about: "Money can't solve all your problems, but lack-of-money is just one less problem for people who have it."
Boy, ain't that the truth? It's kind of happening here at the youbet household. With the portfolio down 25% - 30% or so, we're still living more or less the same as always in RE. But, we no longer feel like our relatively modest/simple lifestyle is as optional as it once was! And suddenly we've found ourselves craving a few things that, when they were easily affordable, we hardly thought about.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:02 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urchina View Post
I love the fact that simple living gives me options.
That is very true - having money (& no debt) is all about options. You can spend more or less and still not have to work. Being free of the need to have things frees up many things - time, thoughts, and seeing what is truly important to you.

Options are why the down turn in the housing market and stock market is a pain. If I wanted to sell my house and move or sell and buy two less expensive homes I can't. The stock market downturn hasn't taken away any options for me right now. As a matter of fact the US dollar situation is setting up more options.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:13 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urchina View Post
My trouble? Wanting to spread the gospel of simplicity, when really, most people don't want to hear it.
So true! And the ones that do listen, and even agree, succumb to the siren call of "stuff". I used to be just as bad. I called it the "one more toy" syndrome. If I just get that ______, then I'll be satisfied and willing to simplify the rest of my life. The trouble is, the list of widgets and toys is ever-growing. The commercials constantly remind us that we don't have "one of those yet".
Old 11-12-2008, 09:28 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankster View Post
So true! And the ones that do listen, and even agree, succumb to the siren call of "stuff". I used to be just as bad. I called it the "one more toy" syndrome. If I just get that ______, then I'll be satisfied and willing to simplify the rest of my life. ....
I seemed to have stocked up on everything I will need forever while working. The only luxuries I go for now that I've been retired for 11-1/2 weeks are expensive personal hygiene products (see other thread) and an occasional short trip.

That said, yesterday I went to Borders to spend a $50.00 gift card. It was agony; didn't see anything I wanted so I started thinking about those hygiene products, but they didn't have anything of interest.

I wound up buying some mailable greeting card photo frames--not too bad, leather frames, that takes care of four birthday cards. Spent the rest on two pounds of coffee beans, over-priced Seattle's Best. Worse that left $1.79 on the card, maybe will go back and get another greeting card. Border's must be in deep trouble because everything I looked at can be had a lot cheaper elsewhere, and I'm not even a good shopper to know that.

The transition into retirement really does feel like a time to simplify forever.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 05:49 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
The Cheapskate himself will be along shortly to thank you for the plug...

Yeah, Boxkicker, you're a cheapskate after my own heart. Simple is best.

BTW, did we by any chance meeting during the marathon Midwest book tour I'm doing a present?

Stay Cheap!
-Jeff Yeager
Ultimate Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote