Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-19-2014, 10:31 AM   #221
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I just tried it. My AA is 60/40. Not sure of my actual international equity allocation but I estimated 15%.

So it starts me at 4.5% and it goes up from there, never lower. My actual draw is going to be more like 2.5 to 3% in my first year.

I started at 1972. For a 46 year run, the lowest WR is 4.5%.

Sounds too good to be true ...
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2014, 10:43 AM   #222
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post

You might want to put in 1968. That will probably give a lower inflation adjusted withdrawal by 1975. The percentage WR's do not change. As I understand it, the percentage withdrawals are set by the assumptions in the "Table" tab.

You can see the minimum withdrawals over various historical start dates i.e. the red line in the chart "Withdrawal Statistics for Every Start Year".
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:53 AM   #223
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

That's 4.5% of the balance of your portfolio, not of the initial balance. If your portfolio drops by 50% then so will your withdrawal.
Spudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:16 AM   #224
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudd View Post
That's 4.5% of the balance of your portfolio, not of the initial balance. If your portfolio drops by 50% then so will your withdrawal.
But the withdrawal percentage moves up too so the spending decline is not linear.

If you look at this example File:VPW.jpg - Bogleheads you will see that the portfolio declined to 40% of the original 17 years after retiring in 1966. The spending went down from an original $48K in 1966 (4.8% initial WR) to about $28K (inflation adjusted) in 1982 before moving up again. So the spending was cut in real terms but not quite by 50% ... it was 58% of the starting spending.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:27 AM   #225
Recycles dryer sheets

True, that's a good point. But I was just trying to point out to Explanade that the results may not have been as good as he originally thought.
Spudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:45 AM   #226
Give me a forum ...

Right on Spudd. Being very careful in this analysis is important. Wouldn't want to spend and then have regrets. I'm still trying to fully understand the assumptions in the "Table" tab.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:11 PM   #227
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
But the withdrawal percentage moves up too so the spending decline is not linear.

If you look at this example File:VPW.jpg - Bogleheads you will see that the portfolio declined to 40% of the original 17 years after retiring in 1966. The spending went down from an original $48K in 1966 (4.8% initial WR) to about $28K (inflation adjusted) in 1982 before moving up again. So the spending was cut in real terms but not quite by 50% ... it was 58% of the starting spending.
I prefer to look at it in terms of WR (e.g. always applied to the strart portfolio), instead of in terms of how much it dropped.

It's like if the 1968 retiree had a variable WR that started at 4.8%, and got the WR down to 2.8% in 1982, and then got back a higher WR.

You could compare this to having had a 2.8% WR all along... VPW tries to only cuts spending when it becomes important to do so.
longinvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 02:46 PM   #228
Give me a forum ...

Looks good, longinvest. I like the changes and it actually makes it clearer having the "inflation adjusted" and non inflation adjusted side by side.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:02 PM   #229
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
I just tried it. My AA is 60/40. Not sure of my actual international equity allocation but I estimated 15%.

So it starts me at 4.5% and it goes up from there, never lower. My actual draw is going to be more like 2.5 to 3% in my first year.

The VPW percentage must be applied to the current portfolio balance at the time of withdrawal.

Here's an example of a VPW table for spending $10 in 5 days:
20%
25%
33%
50%
100%

The percentage is always increasing, but not the withdrawal:
$10 x 20% = $2 (remains $8)
$8 x 25% = $2 (remains $6)
$6 x 33% = $2 (remains $4)
$4 x 50% = $2 (remains $2)
$2 x 100% = $2 (remains $0)

If your $10 was invested and its value changed all along, you would still be able to spend the entire amount in 5 days, but you could get more or less than $2 per day, depending on the market value.
longinvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 03:43 PM   #230
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by longinvest View Post
The VPW percentage must be applied to the current portfolio balance at the time of withdrawal.
How is that different from sticking to a static SWR?

I haven't withdrawn from my retirement assets yet, just FIRE'd in September.

Or I should say, I haven't redeemed any investments to use as my withdrawal.

If I withdrew 4% of a $1 million portfolio in the first year and withdrew 4% of whatever the balance is at the start of the second year, isn't that withdrawing the percentage against the "current" balance (at the time of the withdrawal)?
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 04:22 PM   #231
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
How is that different from sticking to a static SWR?

I haven't withdrawn from my retirement assets yet, just FIRE'd in September.

Or I should say, I haven't redeemed any investments to use as my withdrawal.

If I withdrew 4% of a $1 million portfolio in the first year and withdrew 4% of whatever the balance is at the start of the second year, isn't that withdrawing the percentage against the "current" balance (at the time of the withdrawal)?
The 4% SWR from the Trinity study, withdraws 4% of the initial portfolio and adjusts that amount each year for inflation, regardless of what the current value of the portfolio is.

If you withdraw a fixed 4% each year of the current portfolio that would be a constant percentage withdrawal method.

VPW uses a variable percentage based on your user inputs. Each year use the VPW table and take the percentage X your current portfolio to get your withdrawal amount.
spicoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 04:23 PM   #232
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The link the the OP doesn't work for me. But, it seems that other people are finding this calculator somewhere. Can somebody recommend a link?
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 04:27 PM   #233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post
The link the the OP doesn't work for me. But, it seems that other people are finding this calculator somewhere. Can somebody recommend a link?
From post #219 by Lsbcal -

Variable percentage withdrawal - Bogleheads

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 04:32 PM   #234

I love the new version even more than the first. This helps me to see that even if I had retired in 1968 that I could still spend my "average" budget right through retirement until things "picked up".

I could use this as a "withdrawal" guide and not necessarily a "spend guide" early on, until the dreaded "sequence of returns risk" period were "over" (when that might be is in the eye of the beholder - is it 5 years ? 10 years ?).

I would do exactly as FUEGO suggested and "bank" anything that I didn't use in the early years of ER until I felt sequence of returns risk is over (sequence of returns is exactly what happened to the 1968 retiree).

I also like that I can now see the inflation adjusted withdrawal amount right on the front tab.

This is a really nice tool in the arsenal. I'll use it along with FIDO RIP to check myself year over year. With these tools I feel a little better every day about my chance of not outliving my portfolio with my date of March 1, 2015.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 04:36 PM   #235
Full time employment: Posting here.

Variable percentage withdrawal - Bogleheads

Lazy Portfolio Investor:
AA: 55% Stocks
35% Bonds
10% Cash
NanoSour is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:14 PM   #236

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Thanks, that version worked.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 04:48 PM   #237

Quote:

Does FireCalc also seem to good to be true when you end up with far more Millions at the end of your plan than you started with most of the time?
Cut-Throat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:11 PM   #238
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by longinvest View Post
What the data showed me was an obvious fact that my mind was refusing to see: Any money not spent (and thus left in the portfolio) at market peak will be decimated by the upcoming bear market, making little difference on withdrawals during the bear market.
For this very reason, I won't put unspent funds for a given year back into the portfolio, but rather keep in it funds not vulnerable to a long bear market. It can be applied toward lean years when portfolio withdrawals are reduced.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:20 PM   #239
Give me a forum ...

Really good thought Audrey. I think this has been mentioned but not quite in this way.

Maybe put it in a short term bond fund. Or some good book keeping method.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:26 PM   #240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Really good thought Audrey. I think this has been mentioned but not quite in this way.

Maybe put it in a short term bond fund. Or some good book keeping method.
On 10-18-2014 in this thread. - Post #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat View Post
I am taking the defaults and am actually withdrawing what VPW tells me to. It goes into a Cash "Spending Account", never to be invested again. You can also use this account to "Buffer" shortfalls in Withdrawals.
Cut-Throat is offline   Reply With Quote