Join Early Retirement Today

VWINX 3% drop today?
Old 05-16-2018, 04:51 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

VWINX 3% drop today?

Financial websites show an almost 3% drop today, yikes!

Over on Bogelheads it it reported that Vanguard has said there is a problem and it will be fixed later tonight
Newventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2018, 06:09 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What if it's real? - active management - you never know what they will do... ;-)
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:12 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

It must have corrected - I am seeing more like a .04% drop (1 cent down for the day).
Lagniappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:19 PM   #4

It also went ex-div yesterday and paid today
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:35 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

VWIAX (Wellesley Admiral) was corrected from -2.98% to -0.02%. VWENX (Wellington Admiral) corrected from -1.52% to +0.13%. Whew!
Old 05-16-2018, 06:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
VWIAX (Wellesley Admiral) was corrected from -2.98% to -0.02%. VWENX (Wellington Admiral) corrected from -1.52% to +0.13%. Whew!
Kind of interesting that numbers on a computer screen take us from despair to elation so quickly. ( 1/3 of my liquid NW is in Wellesley/Wellington). Makes me wonder if I'm in the matrix.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:00 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post
Kind of interesting that numbers on a computer screen take us from despair to elation so quickly. ( 1/3 of my liquid NW is in Wellesley/Wellington). Makes me wonder if I'm in the matrix.
Be glad you're not the person responsible for the misinformation. Your life really just changed. Sucks to be homeless.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Be glad you're not the person responsible for the misinformation. Your life really just changed. Sucks to be homeless.
Yeah, it would be interesting to find out the real story behind today's events.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:55 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Have to say, since I watch my mom’s money, I felt a bit dumb when I saw one of her largest funds lose 3% on no big market moves. Guess it’s just a warm up for what will come someday.
Newventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newventurer View Post
Have to say, since I watch my mom’s money, I felt a bit dumb when I saw one of her largest funds lose 3% on no big market moves. Guess it’s just a warm up for what will come someday.
With a big chunk in vwinx I'm glad DM doesn't have internet.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:37 AM   #11

VWIAX / VINIX is still down 2.5+% YTD - most significantly under-performing it's category average by 2+%. M* shows it's in the bottom 5% of funds in it's category. Not what I'd expect from my "most conservative" retirement fund with a good balance of equities and FI.

I've truly been wondering if the recent manager changes has resulted in this no longer being the fantastic fund it's been for decades. Maybe the new crew just isn't as good as the old management.

Still holding, but I also made a pretty significant investment in VWIAX and the performance YTD and over the past 12 months has pretty much sucked. Same thing happened to me on BERIX previously. I'm really starting to believe the "active can't beat passive" mantra.
24601NoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:53 AM   #12

The bond holdings of Wellesley seem to mimic the intermediate corporate bond fund. So the YTD results for Wellesley make sense to me.
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote