Join Early Retirement Today

Wage growth
Old 03-10-2006, 08:48 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Wage growth

----

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=1709489

The report was well balanced in addressing Wall Street's overarching concerns of late. The job growth points to continued economic growth, while the modest wage gains and slightly higher unemployment rate mollified fears of more workers creating higher demand for goods and possibly sparking inflation.

----

I remember some post by Brewer I think that mentioned if wage growth doesn't pick up, then the economy is in trouble.

I may be misquoting or oversimplifying, but this article seems to say that slow wage growth is good.

I still try to get it through my head:
too much = bad
too little = bad
just right = good

But it's hard to know what "just right" is.

Oh well, I won't lose any sleep over it, but it makes reading financial articles a little challenging for me when I don't know what's "good news" and what's "bad news".

It seems that no matter what happens, investors aren't happy.

"Unemployment is high, we're in a recession!"
"The job market has picked back up, we're going to have high inflation!"

just_hatched is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Wage growth
Old 03-10-2006, 09:10 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The trick is that the market doesn't like the dizzying heights or the terrifying lows, only the creamy middles.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 09:20 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

So you won't find many investors riding roller coasters at the amusement park?
just_hatched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 09:31 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_hatched
So you won't find many investors riding roller coasters at the amusement park?* *
Hmmm, you probably will, given the popularity of some VERY volatile individual equities, derivatives, etc. But the market as a whole, as in the indexes, and the people who stick to them? Nope. Just the carousel.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 12:57 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_hatched
Oh well, I won't lose any sleep over it, but it makes reading financial articles a little challenging for me when I don't know what's "good news" and what's "bad news".
Most of the financial "news" that is dissected hourly and spun to mean this or that is nothing more than noise. The sages of the financial press are charged with finding meaning in every twitter of the market. As in . . . "The stock market ended higher today on the back of strong employment and earnings statistics signaling a strengthening of the economy." Conversely, "The stock market ended lower today as investors feared rising interest rates following strong employment and earnings statistics."

On most days they don't have a clue as to why the market moved this way or that. It would be more accurate, although seemingly less insightful, if they simply said "Stocks declined today on fears that stocks would decline."
Old 03-11-2006, 01:16 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

From the article
Quote:
Average wages rose just 0.3 percent, ...
I thought my 3% raise was bad.
Old 03-11-2006, 01:26 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Yrs to Go
On most days they don't have a clue as to why the market moved this way or that. It would be more accurate, although seemingly less insightful, if they simply said "Stocks declined today on fears that stocks would decline."
Indeed...some examples of my old companys stock...

Blowout quarter, well above analyst estimates, stock goes up "Today xyz shares rose on record profits"
Same thing, stock goes down "Today xyz shares fell on analyst fears that the next quarters will suffer
Same thing, stock goes up, analysts drop ratings "Analysts lowered expectations today fearing a lack of adequate guidance from xyz in the face of rising shares
Quarter that was just below estimates, stock goes up "Today xyz shares rose despite a shortfall in results, with expectations that some significant business has slipped into the next few quarters"
Same thing, stock goes down, "investors punished xyz corp by selling off shares due to quarterly shortfall".

I'm of the impression that they just have a bag of quotes, and find one that fits appropriately. Its quite clear that the results, the business, forecasts, and analyst projections are nearly meaningless.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 02:02 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute 'n Fuzzy Bunny
I'm of the impression that they just have a bag of quotes, and find one that fits appropriately.
I don't think they put that much work into it. I suspect there's just a random-number generator, programmed in 1995, that picks a quote and spits out a press release...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 02:28 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I don't think they put that much work into it. I suspect there's just a random-number generator, programmed in 1995, that picks a quote and spits out a press release...
We feel that a strong 1999Q4 indicates the likelihood of a rebound in share price in early 1900.
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 10:59 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wage growth? What wage growth? My CEO got a 5% raise in the second of a two-year losing streak. We peons get two years of 0% followed by a 1% raise.
Got retiree health care through your company? What if the company goes bankrupt? Retire and go RVing full time? RVs are not structurally sound. You'll die in a fiery crash. Retire and live overseas? What if you die? Aren't you worried about your body? No, I don't think I will be able to seeing how I am dead.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote