Join Early Retirement Today

Walmart paying 100% of college costs for its workers
Old 07-28-2021, 12:07 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Walmart paying 100% of college costs for its workers

Walmart covers tuition and books at select university partners. One hopes it’s a corporate trend that gets taken advantage of.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/27/busin...fit/index.html
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2021, 06:53 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Would I be right in saying these are all online universities?

For me, the college experience was more than just books and courses. But it would be a great way to get a bunch of core courses behind you that take up so much of college.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
Walmart covers tuition and books at select university partners. One hopes it’s a corporate trend that gets taken advantage of.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/27/busin...fit/index.html
My buddy took advantage and took some security engineering classes when he was there. He seemed really incentivized by the generosity and had otherwise stopped pursuing "college". Now with that said, he is already a made man earning a 200k engineering salary so take that FWIW.
Old 07-29-2021, 06:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
My buddy took advantage and took some security engineering classes when he was there. He seemed really incentivized by the generosity and had otherwise stopped pursuing "college". Now with that said, he is already a made man earning a 200k engineering salary so take that FWIW.

Are you saying he was salaried at Walmart and did the program or he took a retail job at Walmart to take advantage of the program?
Old 07-29-2021, 06:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post

For me, the college experience was more than just books and courses. But it would be a great way to get a bunch of core courses behind you that take up so much of college.

I didn’t look them all up but the U of Arizona is traditional and it’s campus is in Tucson. I suspect some are blends of traditional with a lot of online offerings.
Old 07-29-2021, 07:47 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Great idea.... I hope the employees that work at the Walmart(s) around here take advantage of the program... The sooner the better.
Old 07-29-2021, 08:02 AM   #7

Quote:
I didn’t look them all up but the U of Arizona is traditional and it’s campus is in Tucson. I suspect some are blends of traditional with a lot of online offerings.
The main campus is in Tucson but they do have locations in several smaller cities across Arizona, and yes they do offer online classes.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:37 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'd guess that most (maybe all) offer on line courses. I'm not sure this would be a very successful program for many, if the employees had to attend in person.
Old 07-29-2021, 08:40 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
Probably should look up the definition of "a made man"
timbervest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:55 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Yes it is if you're 18 and single and have the means to attend in person.

I don't think this description fits many Wal Mart workers. I'm curious how much this actually costs Wal Mart out of pocket, but good for them.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 09:12 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I was skeptical of the online schools myself, but these are different times and the population is different also. Young and even older folks are more comfortable with the virtual classroom.

Years ago I went to state college tuition free. I paid for books, parking and some student fees. Maybe $800 a year for a very good education with most classes taught by Ph.D's. Thank you taxpayers. Now I pay taxes to help today's young folks, but even with that college costs are easily over $12,000 a year for many students at a state school.

Today, college costs have exploded through the roof. Students getting out of college with a degree and owing over $100,000. What is that about? If for no other reason we need online colleges to fight back against the college tuition ripoff. And yes, we need some limits on Federally guaranteed student loans which are feeding the tuition increase monster.

I wonder if some entrepreneur can do to college costs what Mr. Musk has done to the cost of sending machines and peolpe into space? We definitely need some new thinking.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 09:25 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I was skeptical of the online schools myself, but these are different times and the population is different also. Young and even older folks are more comfortable with the virtual classroom.
~25 years ago, I spent a few years on the recruiting circuit (added to my regular job responsibilities) interviewing new collage grads for jobs at my mega corp. The requirement to "get in the door for an interview" changed each year. I remember one year, if you didn't have a 4.0 gpa from top named university, we wouldn't even consider you for an interview... And no one from an on-line university was even considered. I suspect that has changed dramatically now.

Quote:
Today, college costs have exploded through the roof. Students getting out of college with a degree and owing over $100,000. What is that about?
Money!
Old 07-29-2021, 10:27 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

About 25 years ago United Technologies had the same deal. 100% tuition and books if you were working toward an accredited degree at any university. I don't know if the plan is still in place today.
HarveyS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:29 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Thats great!
I believe Starbucks has been doing this for several years, wonderful idea for employees and employers.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:35 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I completed most of my BS online, all of my MA online and did my JD in-person. There are advantages and disadvantages to both and like many things in life, people are different and can find success in different paths.

Much of my later years in the Air Force involved courseware development and instruction using devices/simulators/actual airplanes and as you might guess...several models of learning were employed because we all learn differently. Adult education is quite a bit different that child-age learning and was the subject of my MA degree.

I did terrible in high school (ever dropped out in my senior year for "other" reasons) but did exceedingly well on the GED exam. Oddly enough, I also did pretty well in my post-primary educational endeavors, so I even think that the traditional K-12 education is antiquated and is need of revamping (which is finally happening to a certain degree).

Nonetheless, I am happy to see that WM (and others) expanding their educational benefits for their employees.