"War" Stocks

ferco

Recycles dryer sheets
Looking for the "best" stocks to buy in time of war. Which stocks aid the military industrial complex?

Look at Boeing and any other aerospace, plus United Technologies Helicopters and tanks. Don't know who has the ammunition contract for the military.

Check out the portfolio of Fidelity Select Defense and Aerospace (FSDAX). That was my "war" fund. I suppose there are other funds too.

Dan

Here's a can of worms. All of us indexers are participatory in profiting from war to a degree. However, what does it say about us if we set out to purposefully capitalize on war? The question of the actual costs of the war are a part of the equation that I am going to ignore within the context of my philosophical question. I cancelled my subscription to Cramer in part b/c he was touting and urging purchase of the stock of
a bullet manufacturer supplying the war in Iraq. I want to make money as much as anyone but I am severely conflicted over this issue. Paying taxes that fuel the war is one thing; hoping that lots of munitions are used is another; or is it?

Good point windsurf.

My thinking was to find an "asset class" that might go up on news that might take the general market down. So hopefully it will be a diversifier. I have an energy fund for the same reason. How many times did we hear that oil prices were up so the market went down last year?

Dan

For those of us who don't think war is inherently bad, it makes sense to provide the best armaments to help the good guys kill efficiently.

I've done well with Lockheed Martin recently.

Cool Dood said:
For those of us who don't think war is inherently bad ...

I don't think war is inherently bad, but I think this one is (Iraq). Without
debating that issue in THIS forum, it's worth pointing out that if you disagree
with this war, perhaps a good thing to do is what all of us here, by definition,
are doing. That is, stop working and thereby pumping thousands of dollars
into the US Treasury. That was in fact part of my thinking when I RE'ed in '05.

windsurf said:
Here's a can of worms.
I want to make money as much as anyone but I am severely conflicted over this issue.
Unfortunately social investing ain't that profitable.

You're just supposed to sleep better at night.

Buy in during more peaceful times, sit there & do nothing. Seems like the budget for military exp could do nothing but come down in the next administration, esp. assuming the Dems take over.

Lockheed Martin has done well for me too. Ditto the oil stocks. I have one, Allied Defense, which had to restate its earnings. But I am holding on to it.

USK Coastie said:
Look at Boeing and any other aerospace, plus United Technologies Helicopters and tanks. Don't know who has the ammunition contract for the military.

Most of the small arms ammo (5.56, 7.62, etc) is made by Alliance Technologies, symbol: ATK

Buy in during more peaceful times, sit there & do nothing. Seems like the budget for military exp could do nothing but come down in the next administration, esp. assuming the Dems take over.

My theory, too...I would like to add Lockhead Martin sometime down the road but it is at a 52-week high :(....

Back
Top Bottom