Join Early Retirement Today

Was there a 2007,2008,2009 YTD performance thread?
Old 07-08-2017, 09:40 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Was there a 2007,2008,2009 YTD performance thread?

I saw a 2016 and the current 2017 YTD performance thread. I looked but could not find a 2007, 2008 & 2009 thread. I was not brave enough to even open my statements back then, and if the market was down I would not look now.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2017, 10:47 AM   #2

you should set your asset allocation at a level such that you are comfortable looking. Otherwise, you will miss opportunities to re-balance and/or tax loss harvest. The former may result in significant under performance over the long term.
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 02:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebmke View Post
you should set your asset allocation at a level such that you are comfortable looking. Otherwise, you will miss opportunities to re-balance and/or tax loss harvest. The former may result in significant under performance over the long term.
Im sure your right. I still cringe when I hear meltdown, plummet etc. I used to look only the last week of December to maybe rebalance, one year I didnt look at anything till I was doing my taxes in April. Anyway, any 2007,8 or 9 YTD threads? Or we only do these threads when the markets are up?
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Old 07-08-2017, 02:57 PM   #4

I think everybody was too shocked to post.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 03:03 PM   #5

you will probably find plenty over on Bogleheads. My recollection from 08-09 was not as psychologically taxing as the 2000-2003 downtick. Once they yanked the spanner out of the gears on the debt markets in '08 I wasn't too concerned, even though the equity market had more to go.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:53 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
... Anyway, any 2007,8 or 9 YTD threads? Or we only do these threads when the markets are up?
No, I'm sure there was plenty of discussion at the time. It's hard to search, all the terms are common, but they are out there (in here?). But it was more "OMG, how far down are you?! How much lower can this market go?! I might have to go back to work!" Look for the term "capitulation" maybe.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
No, I'm sure there was plenty of discussion at the time. It's hard to search, all the terms are common, but they are out there (in here?). But it was more "OMG, how far down are you?! How much lower can this market go?! I might have to go back to work!" Look for the term "capitulation" maybe.

-ERD50
Capitulation, Too funny. You brightened up my evening with that one
Old 07-08-2017, 10:32 PM   #8

I looked at sp 500 chart and it did look very scary. I wasn't in the market. If I did, I would have taken a lot of Zantax, or whatever the drug for panic attack. Almost 50% drop from 2008 to 2009.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 10:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
I looked at so 500 chart and it did look very scary. I wasn't in the market. If I did, I would have taken a lot of Zantax, or whatever the drug for panic attack. Almost 50% drop from 2008 to 2009.
Hahaha
Old 07-09-2017, 01:40 AM   #10
Administrator

Try looking at threads from page 64 and earlier. This is a search I did in the Fire and Money forum.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...&pp=25&page=64
Old 07-09-2017, 07:06 AM   #11

Peak to trough was 56% over 17 months for '08-09.

Peak to trough was 49% over 31 months for the DotCom bubble in 2000-2003
Old 07-09-2017, 07:09 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
I think everybody was too shocked to post.
We had a poll where folks confessed how many millions they had lost.

Several threads where people posted how far down they were from the peak. I remember this well, because we were down huge and I posted about it.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:45 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ummm, thanks, I guess? Not sure why you found it funny. Take a look here:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...archid=8022437

-ERD50
Old 07-09-2017, 07:47 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Try looking at threads from page 64 and earlier. This is a search I did in the Fire and Money forum.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...&pp=25&page=64
That link doesn't work for me:

Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

Maybe only for those with super-powers (moderators/admin)?

-ERD50
Old 07-09-2017, 07:55 AM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:

-ERD50
Link doesn't work. I don't think the forum software allows anyone - even those with 'superpowers' - to link a search.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:13 AM   #16

Quote:

BCG; In the financial sense, "Capitulation" is a real concept, not hyperbole. Check out this definition http://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/capitulation.asp.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-09-2017, 08:20 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Link doesn't work. I don't think the forum software allows anyone - even those with 'superpowers' - to link a search.
Thanks, looks like it only works for the user that created it.

Here's the google version, this should work (I think):

https://www.google.com/search?q=site...it=Search+Site

-ERD50
Old 07-09-2017, 08:46 AM   #18

Quote:

-ERD50
I found it funny, as the word as I know it meant just throwing in the towel and selling what ever you had left. I have said many times when the meltdown was happening, I refused to open the monthly/quarterly statements. I was just dollar cost averaging. I was told by several member's that if that was the case, then my AA was not a good one. I know I rode out the storm. However the meltdown did play havoc with my emotions.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:50 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Lots of threads back then about the market performance, although there was no single thread to capture it all. We were also testing each other about knowledge of the Depression, the Dust Bowl, etc...

Some posters disappeared after this period. They most likely capitulated, were broke, and had to go back to work or made drastic change to their lifestyle.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 09:02 AM   #20

I just read the posts from the link that ERD50 provided(thanks). I wanted this info, as Im a pessimistic guy.When the next drop comes(im talking a plummet), I was curious if my headaches and worries were just me or was the average guy who on paper was losing his shirt felt the same way. Im glad I was not alone in dying a little every time the market took a plunge. I was also encouraged by some of the posts, saying to hang in there.I remember my broker calling me once or twice to say "dont fold now". By the way, reading some of those posts, about the members that were in the draw down stage was an unhappy event for me. I can imagine for the member it was many times more disheartening. Now that I think more about it, I think I was the one who called my broker.