Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Washington Post Article: "An Unsavory Slice of Subprime"
Old 10-21-2007, 12:45 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Washington Post Article: "An Unsavory Slice of Subprime"

Good, somewhat technical explanation of the mortgage mess:

washingtonpost.com
jazz4cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2007, 05:39 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Interesting article... and it rings familiar.... I used to be a trustee for issues like that...

I remember buying an investment once for one of my trusts... it looked like a swap of US gvmt issues.. but underlying that US issue was another swap of Venezuelan debt... SO, someone was thinking they had US debt when they actually had Venezuelan debt... talk about getting fleeced if you are not looking at things..

MOST CMOs or CDOs were better than the one shown, but back in the 80s some of the mortgage issues by Housing districts (which were first mortgages) had up to 50% default rate... the Z bond and the lower ranked bonds got hit hard... but it is hard to determine what is good and what is bad.
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 06:53 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

What smokes me is GS going short after placing the issue!
jazz4cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 07:18 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
What smokes me is GS going short after placing the issue!
The guys at GS didn't take home multimillion bonus each year by being dumb. Now sometimes they aren't nearly as smart as they think and the pay for their hubris. I think shorting something they just sold a client is slimey but not stupid.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 10:08 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Excellent article. Thanks for posting it. Allan Sloan took the time and got the help he needed to write something that really contained information.

Ha
Old 10-22-2007, 11:31 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks for the link - excellent article. This all reminds me of betting at the craps table - you could cover your bets many ways - so they offered a product and then covered their bet of that product losing money by shorting it as well. Gambling - eh?

This combined with the Technology Review article are great reading - reminds me of the great stories in the WSJ of how those dotcom companies would spend all of their newly found wealth on parties, jets and stuff unrelated to the 'business.' Yet another get rich quick scheme gone bad.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:57 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Yet another get rich quick scheme gone bad
.. not for Goldman Sachs that gives you the shaft.
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote