Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2022, 08:31 AM   #1341
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
I think you mean "the rate of price increases *has* moderated."
Damn! Caught by the Word Police!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2022, 10:12 AM   #1342
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldavid47 View Post
No worries. I think we can let you off with a stern warning. This time ...
Old 11-13-2022, 10:36 AM   #1343
Administrator

Quote:
No worries. I think we can let you off with a stern warning. This time ...
A moderate attitude indeed ..
Old 11-13-2022, 01:13 PM   #1344
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldavid47 View Post

The above incidence can be included in the thread "Don't you hate when this happens..."

As I get older, I tend to make more mistakes like the above, and I hate it.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 11-13-2022, 01:32 PM   #1345
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That's what moderate means.
Well, let's not arm-wrestle over semantics, but inflation is a rate and price is an absolute number. Inflation has moderated a bit. Prices, not so much.
Old 11-13-2022, 01:43 PM   #1346
Give me a forum ...

I often heard reporters saying "prior to the accident the vehicle was driven at a high rate of speed..."

Why don't they just say "a high speed"? Isn't "a high rate of speed" the same as "a high acceleration", because acceleration means a change in speed.

Is the latter what the reporters meant, or is it the former? I bet they meant the former.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 11-13-2022, 02:05 PM   #1347
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I often heard reporters saying "prior to the accident the vehicle was driven at a high rate of speed..."

Why don't they just say "a high speed"? Isn't "a high rate of speed" the same as "a high acceleration", because acceleration means a change in speed.

Is the latter what the reporters meant, or is it the former? I bet they meant the former.
LOL! I hear echoes from my Physics teachers!

Old 11-13-2022, 02:06 PM   #1348

I get irritated when reporters, purporting to be providing accurate information on energy issues, use "kilowatts" or "megawatts" interchangeably with "kilowatt-hours" or "megawatt-hours." Once I hit a misuse of this type in their article, I read no further, as they may not understand what they are writing about.
"... the astrologer who lived in a tumbled old tower up the valley, and put in his nights studying the stars. Every one knew he could foretell wars and famines, though that was not so hard, for there was always a war and generally a famine somewhere."
-- Mark Twain, The Mysterious Stranger
Old 11-13-2022, 03:38 PM   #1349
Give me a forum ...

This choo choo train of a thread has gone off the tracks.
Old 11-13-2022, 03:43 PM   #1350
Give me a forum ...

We are just in an entr'acte, waiting for the market to open tomorrow so we can go back to the more serious topic of looking for bond yields.

Old 11-13-2022, 03:49 PM   #1351

Quote:
We are just in an entr'acte, waiting for the market to open tomorrow so we can go back to the more serious topic of looking for bond yields.
Lol. You nailed it. [emoji16]
Old 11-13-2022, 05:33 PM   #1352

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo29 View Post
I get irritated when reporters, purporting to be providing accurate information on energy issues, use "kilowatts" or "megawatts" interchangeably with "kilowatt-hours" or "megawatt-hours." Once I hit a misuse of this type in their article, I read no further, as they may not understand what they are writing about.
Yep, the stupidity involved when they talk about firearms makes my head explode.
Old 11-13-2022, 06:53 PM   #1353
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

On a more serious note, here is Fed rate monitor tool to help make decisions during this "golden period". The tool helps forecast the magnitude of rate hikes going forward based on Fed funds futures. The market is still looking at a high probability of a terminal Funds rate in the range of 4.75%-5% by March 23. But the probability of going beyond that has fallen since the last inflation reading.

https://www.investing.com/central-ba...d-rate-monitor
Old 11-13-2022, 07:46 PM   #1354

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
On a more serious note, here is Fed rate monitor tool to help make decisions during this "golden period". The tool helps forecast the magnitude of rate hikes going forward based on Fed funds futures. The market is still looking at a high probability of a terminal Funds rate in the range of 4.75%-5% by March 23. But the probability of going beyond that has fallen since the last inflation reading.

I'm beginning to lower my hopes a little. 5% Treasuries and C. D.'s are beginning to look better..I have a saying that "pigs get slaughtered" Will hold some dry powder for another month but after that I'll be full scale buying..
Old 11-13-2022, 08:19 PM   #1355
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post

Yet, a year from now they estimate a 66% chance of a Fed rate between 5% and 5.5%. And the chance of a Fed rate staying higher than 4.75% in Nov 2023 is 100%.

In other words they expect the Fed rate to stay high for quite a while.

Old 11-13-2022, 09:58 PM   #1356
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Well, let's not arm-wrestle over semantics, but inflation is a rate and price is an absolute number. Inflation has moderated a bit. Prices, not so much.
"Well let's not arm-wrestle over semantics but...[attempt at semantic arm-wrestling omitted]."

Now youbet, I have a good sense of humor. The Irony Police, well, not so much.

So, keep your nose clean, huh?

Old 11-13-2022, 10:02 PM   #1357
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yet, a year from now they estimate a 66% chance of a Fed rate between 5% and 5.5%. And the chance of a Fed rate staying higher than 4.75% in Nov 2023 is 100%.

Sure. But that is not to say mid and longterm rates will not be lower.

I have stated for a year to 18 months that duration is to be avoided. And now about 2-3 weeks about extending maturities.
Old 11-13-2022, 11:51 PM   #1358

Quote:
That is what the Fed officials have communicated. They could hold it at that level for the next 10 years and it will be the "golden decade" for fixed income investing. I would be more than happy to roll 6-6.75% coupon high grade notes for the next 10 years in my bond ladder.
Old 11-14-2022, 10:01 AM   #1359
Dryer sheet wannabe

On an educational note...how do you "manage" your existing bond holdings (corp, muni, CDs, etc)?

Do you review quarterly or annual financial statements? What would be a red flag (besides the word "dire")? Actively monitor FINRA for Moody's or S&P rating changes? Watch for price increases to perhaps sell short of maturity date?

Can any of this "management" be automated (such as alerts from Fidelity, Schwab, FINRA, EMMA, etc)?

Thanks much for sharing your expertise!
Old 11-14-2022, 10:18 AM   #1360

Several here have stated they will only buy bonds at or below par..Assuming one doesn't need the income and is willing to hold to maturity what are the drawbacks of buying above par? I know this has been mentioned before but I've slept since then..Thanks