Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-29-2020, 09:58 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

I just brought a 2021 Honda Insight EX home, trading in my 2006 Subaru Outback with failing head gasket! I've just moved from a climate with heavy winter snow to the coast - I enjoyed the Subaru's winter handling but shouldn't need it anymore.

I test drove a Hyundai Ioniq, a Toyota Prius, and the various levels of Insight. The Honda was significantly nicer, both to drive and in interior quality and features. The EX is rated at 55 mpg in the city which will probably be most of the driving I will do. It has a 10.6 gallon tank so I should be able to drive over 500 miles between fill ups.
Mmm Rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Long Legs As Well
Old 08-29-2020, 11:35 AM   #42
Confused about dryer sheets

Long Legs As Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I really like the Toyota vehicles except for one major problem. The center console is too wide and my very long legs don't have enough room to safely fit in the Camry. Looking at pictures I assume I also will not be able to fit in the Rav4 Prime which is the vehicle I would like to buy over the Camry since I live in snow country. I know the Camry hybrid is a great car(if you can fit in it) and you should enjoy it for many years. Good luck
I had the same issue and spoke with my trusted car mechanic 2 months ago. Have a Camry for my DW but needed/wanted new car for me at pre-retirement. Mechanic recommended a Mazda CX 5 and my legs fit perfectly. only disappointment is there is no inside counsel rear lid opener and during rain/snow to open hatch it has to be from outside. Rides wonderfully, great safety features and really good looking vehicle. Just my 2 cents
lewp56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 12:44 PM   #43
Dryer sheet aficionado

I boight a 2020 Tundra Crewmax as my retirement vehicle- feel great when I get 18-19 MPG on the highway --- ha ha ha
srpuywa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 03:14 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
The other advantage of a hybrid is the driving range. My 2012 Camry could go over 600 miles on a tank. The newer ones get better mileage than the 2012 but also have a smaller tank so the range may not be more. My RAV4 Hybrid goes well over 550 miles on a full tank....
Driving range is not a particular benefit since no matter what, DW has to stop every 3 hours to pee. Besides, even I have to stop to pee every 450 miles or so.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA TBD
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 04:10 AM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

While efficiency is nice, can’t say I ever bought a car based on it. Use and overall cost plus desire and enjoyment always factored in more. To each their own. I found I always had a use for a small truck, as I was always renovating something. Bought a ‘99 Dodge Dakota Sport Cab plus for $4000 in 2007w/89k miles on it from original owner. Still have it, with 180k on it, and yes, it paid for itself, as I used it for work often and was paid mileage & never had to rent a truck for projects. I’ve done all maintenance on it and most all repairs, none major. It only gets 18mpg. I probably only use it once every 2 weeks now, but since it cost about $25/month to own at this point, it makes little sense to sell it for the $1000 I could easily get for it.

On the other spectrum, I bought an ‘02 Carrera in 2008 with 30k miles on it for $32k. If I had to pay to have all the work I’ve done on it, it would be considered by many a money pit. Porsche Mechanics are stupid expensive. I’ve done all but one repair (many pre-emptive since so many known issues have reasonable DIY solutions) myself, but you have to be a “like to do the grease under the fingernails” kind of work kind of guy. I thoroughly enjoy driving that car, and it has no real practical value but fun. With 63k miles in it, the cost per mile ownership is far higher but for me, well worth it. I’d be glad to get $25k for it if I wanted to sell it.

Not everything is owned for a good ROI.
Perryinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 01:27 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
While efficiency is nice, can’t say I ever bought a car based on it. Use and overall cost plus desire and enjoyment always factored in more. To each their own...
...Not everything is owned for a good ROI.
totally agree. we were never concerned with MPG. when first married like others we gravitated to "cool" (mustangs, capris). later it was what was practical for that stage of life (mini-vans). now it's jeeps to flat tow behind our motorhome...cool and practical! an EV or hybrid doesn't interest us at all. may not have to buy gas but the energy to power them comes from somewhere and they can't be flat towed.

we keep our cars for ~15 years or so alternating turns to buy every 7-8 years. my '03 wrangler is a bit overdue for replacement but it only has ~110,000 registered miles + another ~30,000 towed miles on it but the chassis is starting to rust so i may start looking. it's my turn to buy. my wife's '10 liberty has ~75,000 registered miles + another ~45,000 towed miles on it and looking brand new. at some point we'll be a one car family but hopefully not too soon.
Administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 09:21 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Enjoy your new purchase! I think it would be fun to own a hybrid. I can imagine trying to tweak the last mpg possible out of it. I'd be watching the dials and gages, trying to figure the best driving style to get maybe 50 or even 60 mpg out of it. Even on my 2012 (not hybrid) I watch the "instantaneous" and "average" mileage gage and try to improve my "style." I get 25 mpg on my SUV - virtually all "city."

Having said that. I JUST filled up the tank (of ONE of our 2 cars.) Last time for both was in late February or early March. Tank got down to half, so I figured I'd better fillerup. I don't think I could justify buying a new car at this point in my life - even when Covid 19 is in the rear view mirror. BUT, if I DID buy a new car, I think I'd get a C8 Corvette! How's that for a non sequitur? YMMV (literally!)
Tweak the most fuel economy? Fuel is meant to be burned. Tweak the most horsepower and performance out of it!
Oakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 09:44 AM   #48

We have never purchased a car because of the fuel economy, probably never will, and now Diesels are out of favour in the USA it is even more remote.
Old 08-31-2020, 09:57 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Driving range is not a particular benefit since no matter what, DW has to stop every 3 hours to pee. Besides, even I have to stop to pee every 450 miles or so.
Us olduns ought to stop and stretch and walk a bit every 3 hours or so anyway. Sitting in a car (or anywhere!) for long stretches at a time is just not good for you.
Old 08-31-2020, 10:19 AM   #50
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary 1958 View Post
I'm curious because I've never had a car that can pay for itself. Please explain how any car will ever pay for itself?
Why asking me? I never said a car would, just the hybrid upcharge wouldn't.

For me it's a matter of minimizing loss while accomplishing the goals - transportation convenience, safety & comfort. Gasoline power vs. hybrid or electric at my mileage does that by a goodly amount.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 10:21 AM   #51
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Sorry you feel bad.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 11:31 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
Sorry you feel bad.
I feel great, but thanks for the thoughts?

When I see discussions about fuel economy, I think back to my flying days and how much jet fuel we used to waste consume for training. When it got towards the end of the fiscal year, there were "training hours" that had to be used or "WE WON'T GET THEM NEXT YEAR!!!" so for most of September, we would go fly a local training sortie for proficiency or to check off some boxes (currency requirements like night landings/approaches/etc.) that might take 1.5 to 2.0 hours. We would finish those up but since there were hours to burn, we would go out and spin holes in the sky for another 2 or 2.5 hours...our fuel burn would be in the neighborhood of 4,000 gallons of fuel PER HOUR doing so. That means that on a single flight we would burn enough fuel that would get me 140,000-180,000 miles of travel in my pickup truck (well, if I could use JP-8 in my truck, of course). That is ONE airplane, ONE sortie. Hell, we ran the APUs (auxiliary power units or mini jet engines) for air conditioning and in the 3 hours that they ran before flight, that fuel consumption would equate to about 5,000 miles of cruising in my truck.
Old 08-31-2020, 11:56 AM   #53
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post

When I see discussions about fuel economy, I think back to my flying days and how much jet fuel we used to waste consume for training. When it got towards the end of the fiscal year, there were "training hours" that had to be used or "WE WON'T GET THEM NEXT YEAR!!!" so for most of September, we would go fly a local training sortie for proficiency or to check off some boxes (currency requirements like night landings/approaches/etc.) that might take 1.5 to 2.0 hours. We would finish those up but since there were hours to burn, we would go out and spin holes in the sky for another 2 or 2.5 hours...our fuel burn would be in the neighborhood of 4,000 gallons of fuel PER HOUR doing so. That means that on a single flight we would burn enough fuel that would get me 140,000-180,000 miles of travel in my pickup truck (well, if I could use JP-8 in my truck, of course). That is ONE airplane, ONE sortie. Hell, we ran the APUs (auxiliary power units or mini jet engines) for air conditioning and in the 3 hours that they ran before flight, that fuel consumption would equate to about 5,000 miles of cruising in my truck.
Had the very same experience while TDY to Thailand back in the mid-70's. Go on a mission to refuel F-4's, then do touch & gos for a couple of hours when we returned. Did this for 3 weeks until we got a priority message as we returned from a mission telling us to full stop. Later learned someone at the Puzzle Palace in Omaha had miscalculated and we'd exceeded our fuel allotment by a substantial margin. No doubt that was a career limiting math error.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 12:01 PM   #54
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llep View Post
Congratulations. I bought a gently used car earlier this year for cash so I didn’t have to show anybody any income. When you say you showed income was that from verifiable sources? Did they verify? The reason I ask is all of my income is investment income. I monthly have a fixed amount sent from my investment account to my checking account and I call that my “income”. My apartment landlord had no problem with it but I always wondered if I could use that for a car loan.
How does paying with a check affect the price you pay.
Do you pay a higher price because they aren't making any interest money on the sale?
Do you pay a lower price because you are making a cash purchase?
Thank you.
eddiegorniakjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 01:24 PM   #55

Good choice.

We drove our Camry for 19 years, 270K miles with no problems whatsoever. Just regular mtce.

Our 14 year old Solara soft top (essentially a Camry), with less mileage, has been problem free as well.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote