We had CC and tax return identity theft

Rianne

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
In response to the credit freeze thread... a quick summary of what happened...thieves opened a business account under DH SS number/birthday in Florida 2 years back. The next year we got the letter that our tax return was breached. I called the IRS, got through pretty quickly and they put an alert on our returns so we have to use a special pin to file with the IRS for 7 years. That said...

Citicard, who opened the fraudulent business account without our knowledge, then shut it down after it was discovered (we had no idea) contacted all three credit bureaus while we were on the phone with them. They corrected the ding on our credit, after we submitted a police report about the theft. This was a long process and lots of paperwork, but we got it done.

Fast forward, Citicard contacted all 3 credit agencies. They asked us if we wanted a credit freeze or credit alert at all 3 agencies. For the credit alert, we are contacted and supposed identity verification occurs So anytime for whatever reason anyone tries to look at our credit reports, we are contacted. When I switched cell phone companies awhile back, I had to answer 5 personal questions that only DH and I know. I couldn't remember a couple of the answers. I had to look back at our records to answer them before they would let us open the new cell phone account. We opted for the credit alert knowing the hassle and fees of the freeze option. I can see me losing the pin after a couple of years, then I'm really in trouble.

My question is, if anyone knows, you are given a pin to unlock a freeze, which can also be hacked, right? Those super personal questions they asked me, they have the answer to them, so those answers can be hacked as well. So what security do we really have? We opted for the alert instead of the freeze because of the hassle to unlock a freeze and the fees they charge. The alerts were free and we are contacted for any inquiry into any of our credit reports for 7 years.

I was reading about the blockchain technology they use for bitcoin transactions. This is the way to go. Right now, we're all screwed as far as our information being out there. Hopefully, all transactions online will go to the blockchain technology. Any thoughts?

I alway would guard my incoming mail the first working day of the year. That's when the USPO would deliver the tax return forms with names and social security numbers on them. Now, so many returns are electronic.

I would expect, but do not know, that the PIN one sets up is encrypted and unknown even to the admins of the system. If one forgets a PIN it cannot be retrieved and an admin would have the ability to set a Temporay PIN to allow a user back in following the correct answers to security questions. The security question answers should also be encrypted so that when an answer is given to an admin his system would simply respond with Y or N when an answer is presented.

The IRS had me provide my driving license number a year or two ago. This year when I filed online I no longer had that license and did not have a record of the number. However I was not prompted for anything else when I skipped that question and my tax return was accepted, so not sure what is going on there.

Back
Top Bottom