Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-26-2021, 04:39 PM   #221
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nah I don't do that high end stuff. $400 would be for say 100 grams of second tier stuff, go 2 days -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2021, 04:52 PM   #222
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post

While it's true that Aldi's would never be considered "up scale" ours is always clean, has wide aisles, no carts left by your car - heh, heh, I wish! We often make $.25 to $.50 finding carts. We never buy their knock-off brands (like chips or salad dressings, etc.) But I'm sure we save 1/3 from what we pay at the local Sams. NOW, if we could just get an Aldi's in Honolulu. YMMV
Bold by me.

Here is where you are missing out. Don't let the low price fool you. Most of the Clancy branded chips et. al. are as good or better than the same name brand. We have found almost all of the Aldi's "exclusive" products to be very good. Frankly, that is where you save the most money. Example: Aldi's kettle chips $1.39. name brand, on sale, $2.50, Usually $3.50, and I like the Aldi's (Clancy's) better.

And when lamb is on sale, $7.99 for a boneless, butter-flied leg, or $9.99 for a rack of lamb.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:10 PM   #223
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
Dining out is $800-$900 /month. Rest is stuff from a grocery store which includes cleaning supplies and other household stuff.
Yeah, that can do it. But if you can afford it, fine. What we find when eating out is that we rarely get just one meal from dining out... the servings have become so large that eating out usually results in 1-2 more meals from what we take home. It is tough to spend a lot eating out like that .

Our "food" categories we budgeted/tracked are Groceries (including wine and spirits, we are barely drinkers and spend <$120 on that each year, including what DW uses for cooking) Fast Food (anything that is lunch or takeout) and Dining (restaurant dining except when on vacation, that is categorized as a vacation expense). Since 2002 we have averaged $10K year. That includes years with hungry teenagers at home when we had to institute our "car trunk" pantry . The most we ever spent in a year at restaurants was $2K. We eat most healthy; I still sample the "bad for you but oh so delicious" food groups so that my eating is not "perfect" just "moderate" .
Old 07-26-2021, 09:02 PM   #224
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Nah I don't do that high end stuff. $400 would be for say 100 grams of second tier stuff, go 2 days -
We're still talking caviar ,correct
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 06:35 AM   #225

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I just stopped by this thread after not following it, to see where it had gone. The post above was at the top of the last page.

Wow, did I ever get the wrong impression!

That said, everyone lives within a budget. Some just don't know it. Even Jeff Bezos has to decide where to allocate his spending. More phallic rockets, or cancer research?

How one goes about allocating their resources, apparently, can create some very long discussions!

That's all I've got. Carry on.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:57 AM   #226
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
Bold by me.

Here is where you are missing out. Don't let the low price fool you. Most of the Clancy branded chips et. al. are as good or better than the same name brand. We have found almost all of the Aldi's "exclusive" products to be very good. Frankly, that is where you save the most money. Example: Aldi's kettle chips $1.39. name brand, on sale, $2.50, Usually $3.50, and I like the Aldi's (Clancy's) better.

And when lamb is on sale, $7.99 for a boneless, butter-flied leg, or $9.99 for a rack of lamb.
I actually mis-spoke. We DID try things like chips once. That's when we decided to pay the extra for the name brands. I'm sure there are some items we'd find acceptable, but probably won't look for them. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 11:45 AM   #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
Yes she is. And her closet is overflowing and we have more clothes in the basement. I don't complain because my hobbies aren't cheap.

We don't want to have to budget for everyday stuff. Just track and plan for it. If we bust it by too much, it cuts into our annual play money, but we're not close to that yet.

I only read the first page and it appears that your title to the thread is incorrect. With the amount of clothes already in the closet and the basement that is overflowing and the monthly clothes budget there is no "We" that is trying.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 03:30 PM   #228

I also only read the 1st page so that's what I'm responding to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom2708 View Post
Interesting. Is he or she spending $400/month on clothing? ..... Clothing is a trap. Most have overflowing closets of clothes and wear 5-10% of it.
Or buy really expensive stuff. That's 1 item at Niemann's if lucky

I'm not great at buying clothes. I try to get 1 outfit before each trip (3-4× a year) which includes shoes, socks, underwear, top, bottom. I have way too much jewelry. According to USAA I have spent $361.79 in the past 12 months.
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 03:43 PM   #229
Recycles dryer sheets

Sounds like a bad case of "I want" overriding "I won't" ;-)

Planning to pull a camper without planning for the fuel is just very poor planning, Perhaps a weekend at home in the camper and ignoring the phones instead - or can you not stand the quiet?

Your food budget sounds like "Let's try that new <pick one> restaurant" very frequently.

If you're not working, that much in clothes is either trying to impress other people or "I gotta have a new...." - both are poor uses of your money when the price of food is going up and its availability is going down.

Definitely sounds like a bad case of "I want" overriding "I won't" ;-)

Sorry if I seem harsh, but we've been living on much less per month than you because we couldn't plan for every possibility - but, in spite of circumstances, everything is paid for and we have what we need in food, clothing and fuel. On the other hand, we don't need to spend money to be entertained or to impress other people.
papaof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 03:47 PM   #230
Give me a forum ...

Wow papaof2 you really assume a lot. Just wondering how much of this thread you actually read.

You don't seem harsh you seem very judgmental, if you want to post your spending here I'm sure we can find something wrong with it.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 03:48 PM   #231
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom2708 View Post

Budgets don't work if you spend freely and then look backwards at what you spent.
All you need to know right there.
Oakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 03:48 PM   #232
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
I also only read the 1st page so that's what I'm responding to.
Or buy really expensive stuff. That's 1 item at Niemann's if lucky

I'm not great at buying clothes. I try to get 1 outfit before each trip (3-4× a year) which includes shoes, socks, underwear, top, bottom. I have way too much jewelry. According to USAA I have spent $361.79 in the past 12 months.
Even my "Prana Stretch Zion" pants are only $85 unless I catch a sale. The shorts are under $50 usually. They last a long time, so it takes a long time to need a new pair.
bloom2708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 03:48 PM   #233

No related to the overspending on clothes of the orig. post.
But things have changed since I retired at 51 in 2013.
Things that have gone way up in price. Doubled in price,
or more than doubled in price. In my neck of the woods anyway.
SoCal coast.

Calif. DMV tags. For an old motorcycle was $60.00 per yr. Now the min is $132.00 (It's a hobby, have (11) 5 registered a yr. for street)
Same with cheap cars, min 1 yr tags is $132.00

Elect. was $60-70, now $120-150 per month.

Gas. up about $1.00 a gallon. Cheapest place in town for prem. is now $4.50

A lot of food is up an easy 50% at the store. "Good" Carne Asada burritos' are right at $9.00-$10.00 rather than $5.00

Nat. gas, about doubled. Was ave/mo around $30.00 now $60.

Water/ sewage / curb & gutter, Clean ocean fee's $60-$70 now $115-$150 mo. (Have rocks, stepping stones and a bit of fake grass)

Cable & internet was $90.00 now $182.00

But, luckily we have had 2% inflation over the years. And interest rates are still at all time low's.

Am doing fine. No real worries. But if you are not aware what's been happening. You have not been paying attention.
Old 07-27-2021, 03:54 PM   #234

Side note... Some people buy things out of boredom. Anger, to blow off steam.
To feel better...etc...
Sounds like it might be the case here.
Old 07-27-2021, 03:56 PM   #235

quicken tells me 832 bucks since january of 2015. I have no idea how to spend that much on clothes
indiajust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 04:19 PM   #236

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaof2 View Post
Sounds like a bad case of "I want" overriding "I won't" ;-)

Planning to pull a camper without planning for the fuel is just very poor planning, Perhaps a weekend at home in the camper and ignoring the phones instead - or can you not stand the quiet?

Your food budget sounds like "Let's try that new <pick one> restaurant" very frequently.

If you're not working, that much in clothes is either trying to impress other people or "I gotta have a new...." - both are poor uses of your money when the price of food is going up and its availability is going down.

Definitely sounds like a bad case of "I want" overriding "I won't" ;-)

Sorry if I seem harsh, but we've been living on much less per month than you because we couldn't plan for every possibility - but, in spite of circumstances, everything is paid for and we have what we need in food, clothing and fuel. On the other hand, we don't need to spend money to be entertained or to impress other people.
I guess you have it all figured out and there are never any surprises in your financial life. Congratulations.
Old 07-27-2021, 04:31 PM   #237

Wow $400/month for clothes is not high enough? That is more than I spend in a year. And I am getting ready to go through what I have and donate a lot that I an not reallly wearing since I retired.

And $1,500/month for food! Even if I add in all my expenses for eating out, I do not think I top $350.

My guess is that there are a LOT of clothes that are not really being worn plus food that is spoiling before being thrown out, or a LOT of prepackaged foods.

As far as camping - are you going to the same camping location each time? If so, consider paying for a monthly campsite (or longer) for a lot lower cost and leave your camper there instead of towing it each time. What you spend extra in camping fees, you will more than make up in lower gas prices (especially if you drive there in a vehicle with better gas mileage).

It sounds like shopping may be either an unnecessary habit or a way to fill up time because there are not hobbies/other activities (or difficulty with self esteem) . Starting now, make a pact to not only STOP buying clothes but also do not go to the grocery again until pretty much everything in the freezer, refrigerator and pantry is eaten up. My guess is that except for something like milk, you will be able to eat for several weeks with just what you have on hand.

Also, consider making up a menu of dinners a month at a time. It really only takes about 30 minutes to do this. Schedule in days to eat out also. After first doing an inventory of what you already have, you will be able to create a grocery list with just the items you need for the month - and consider spending a little to be able to just pick them up (letting someone else fill your list) to prevent impulse shopping.

Another thing to do is go ahead and budget your current amount for clothes and food. Then establish a sinking fund and put in the money each month where you go below your budget. then use that for an extra special vacation/purchase. or every time there is a purchase on these categories, put an equal amount into that fund. I heard of someone who stopped smoking when his wife did this. In just one year, she had enough in that fund for both of them to go on a great cruise. He really had not realized how much his habit was costing them.
imnontrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 04:31 PM   #238

Question for orig poster. How much was purchased "in person" V.S. ordering online "not in person" Just curious..................
Old 07-27-2021, 04:37 PM   #239
Recycles dryer sheets

As retirees, we spend nothing on clothes most months. Facebook recently popped up one of those "memory" posts from eight years ago. I was wearing the same shirt that was in the picture. The dog occasionally chews on underwear in the clothes basket. We don't throw it out unless it's a big hole. You get the idea.

I would put your camping gas under "recreation" or "travel" rather than "gas," which I'd reserve for at-home usual-car monitoring. This makes the travel category more realistic.

It's important to monitor the budget on things you buy all the time. You can have 5 cars at $132 registration annually. It doesn't matter if you pay $1000 or $1100 for car insurance annually. You SHOULD mind your electric use. You shouldn't be buying $50 caviar, or expensive wine, cigarettes or other vegetable products to smoke every week, or if you are, those are the things to monitor.

When you travel, in many places a $100 hotel room is pretty much the same as a $250 one.

Of course, all this depends on your age, wealth, and income. If you have lots of all three, spend away! It took me about three years after retirement to switch from "squeeze the nickel" mode to "you can't take it with you."
isisdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 04:43 PM   #240
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by isisdave View Post
...You shouldn't be buying $50 caviar, or expensive wine, cigarettes or other vegetable products to smoke every week....
It seems a little presumptuous to tell other people how they should and should not spend their money. I am happy to tell people what I do with my own money and why, but their money is theirs and they can do whatever they want with it.