Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-28-2021, 06:10 PM   #281
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We are not going to be FAT Fire by any means, but if we were I would be OK with sharing those things that make me happy. For me, FAT would mean aircraft, possibly a big sailboat too.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2021, 06:32 PM   #282
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yeah. Me too. I took a lot of scrimping and saving and investing to get here and I'm not fat either. Just overweight -

But yeah, if I can't celebrate an ounce of white truffle (my first ever) in my retirement, then why bother?
Old 07-28-2021, 06:52 PM   #283
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Yeah. Me too. I took a lot of scrimping and saving and investing to get here and I'm not fat either. Just overweight -

But yeah, if I can't celebrate an ounce of white truffle (my first ever) in my retirement, then why bother?
An oz of white truffle is not a problem. Not even if one has not reached the FIREd status. I don't think an oz of truffle has bankrupt anyone.

But when you have white truffle delivered daily, in addition to who knows what else, then there might be a problem.

Just might be, because if one is a centimillionaire, not even a billionaire, then there's definitely room in his budget for an oz of truffle a day, even if he cares to eat that much truffle.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 06:52 PM   #284

I would need to up my cooking game before i went there, but that is all it would take!
I did the plane thing in my youth, a sort of inversion of the normal processes. I could go back there though.
Old 07-28-2021, 06:55 PM   #285
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post

So, it's just a phase. Soon we'll be welcoming the toothpaste-tube-squeezers, the teabag-reusers, and those of us (you know who we are) who tear the half-paper-towel sheet into 2 pieces.

Oh yes! The Wh*** has been sounded, and it is still reverberating around the world.

Have you read about China US-listed stocks losing $800 billion in just 2 days?

PS. Eh, speaking of half-paper-towel sheet, I noticed that the roll of kitchen towel we are using is already perforated at 1/2 sheet size.

Darn! I am telling you, this shows it is catching on.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 07-28-2021, 07:15 PM   #286
Give me a forum ...

Mon dieu! Surely, you didn't think I meant merely tearing a whole square sheet in half? Oh, the profligacy of mankind!

OK,, I'll stop calling you Shirley

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

PS. Eh, speaking of half-paper-towel sheet, I noticed that the roll of kitchen towel we are using is already perforated at 1/2 sheet size.

Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:20 PM   #287
Administrator

Straining the broken glass out of the peanut butter was the best of the early days.
Old 07-28-2021, 07:30 PM   #288
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Mon dieu! Surely, you didn't think I meant merely tearing a whole square sheet in half? Oh, the profligacy of mankind!

OK,, I'll stop calling you Shirley
I read your post again, and indeed you were talking about turning 1/2 sheet into 1/4 sheet.

And so, the 1/2 sheet is now the standard-size sheet.

I need to watch out to see when TP makers follow suit.

Old 07-28-2021, 08:22 PM   #289
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I think we are just seeing what happens to a long-time chat group when external trends change.

When I joined in 2009, the focus was on "I'll do whatever it takes to break the shackles and live my own life without working for somebody else." We had grand discussions of uber-frugality, since for many, that was the only way they'd ever see FIRE. Still is.

In the intervening years, the economy has dealt different hands; some people have so much, they wonder how they'll ever get rid of it all before they die. In addition, many in the "boom" generation have received their inheritances.

So, it's just a phase. Soon we'll be welcoming the toothpaste-tube-squeezers, the teabag-reusers, and those of us (you know who we are) who tear the half-paper-towel sheet into 2 pieces.
Didn't know my wife has been sharing her frustrations with you
Old 07-28-2021, 09:27 PM   #290
Recycles dryer sheets

If you have plenty of money and this spending does not really matter, throw away the budget and enjoy your life.
Why are you even thinking about your wife spending on clothes.
There must be a reason.
JJpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 09:31 PM   #291

It's the closet thing. OP just needs to stay out of the closet.
Old 07-28-2021, 10:32 PM   #292
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
FWIW I am glad you started this thread.
Some folks confuse having a yearly budget as being rigid or perhaps frugal.
This can be true, but in general it is not.
There are just some folks including me that like to play with numbers/have a budget so we can see where the monies go/have a guideline if cuts might be made in the future, etc etc etc.

That describes me. I like my different spreadsheets and playing around with them. Not overpaying for ongoing expenses leaves more money for the big things, like remodeling our house, helping our adult kids buy houses, and having enough cushion to not have to worry about stock market crashes, high inflation or out-living our money.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 01:32 PM   #293
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
When we reached under 2% wd rate, I said to DW: "No more budget, buy what you want!"

Because of long established budget thinking, things are in check but running at a higher %.

We still drive a 2016 Mercedes and a 2017 Kia Soul. But have seen increases in food and air fare (business class). We also equipped our new snowbird condo with excellent quality stuff. We now feel poor returning home!

Main downside is the need to crystallize capital gains more often, creating a budgetting challenge. Been retired for 19 years.
Old 07-29-2021, 05:15 PM   #294
Dryer sheet wannabe

You budgeted $1500 per month for food? That's crazy! $300 per month is plenty for all the groceries for my wife and me could possibly eat, and even includes leftover funds to eat out if desired. But we don't desire eating out--not at COVID-19 prices.

Figure out how to buy groceries & cook for yourselves and you'll save a ton over eating out every meal. I can't imagine how anyone could spent $1500 / mo just for food.

Or am I misunderstanding your numbers?
newlyold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 05:20 PM   #295
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
When we reached under 2% wd rate, I said to DW: "No more budget, buy what you want!"
You should be grateful that she did not go out and buy an Hermès bag.

Old 07-29-2021, 05:22 PM   #296
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlyold View Post
You budgeted $1500 per month for food? That's crazy! $300 per month is plenty for all the groceries for my wife and me could possibly eat, and even includes leftover funds to eat out if desired. But we don't desire eating out--not at COVID-19 prices.

Figure out how to buy groceries & cook for yourselves and you'll save a ton over eating out every meal. I can't imagine how anyone could spent $1500 / mo just for food.

Show us exactly what you eat for around 10 dollars a day and we'll kick the tires. Or show us your entire budget and we'll find a place where we think you overspend and we can call it "crazy"...point is you aren't me and I'm not you, that would be boring anyway....
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 05:24 PM   #297
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post

Because of long established budget thinking, things are in check but running at a higher %.

We still drive a 2016 Mercedes and a 2017 Kia Soul. But have seen increases in food and air fare (business class). We also equipped our new snowbird condo with excellent quality stuff. We now feel poor returning home!

Main downside is the need to crystallize capital gains more often, creating a budgetting challenge. Been retired for 19 years.

That's pretty ideal you didn't undershoot your budget numbers or feel deprived. Isn't that what we all want, no matter the amount we spend each year?
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 05:31 PM   #298

Quote:

WADR, Why do you care?
Old 07-29-2021, 05:42 PM   #299
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

The actual expense is $2,000, so don't worry about it.
Old 07-29-2021, 05:42 PM   #300

Quote:

I budgeted $1500 but we are spending $2000.