Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-22-2021, 11:28 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

What exactly is OP's question? So you said you cant live within a budget...ok? Are you looking for like minded people to tell you how great that is?

If you can afford it, which you said you can, keep up the good work. No need to change. Again, what was the point of this thread?
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2021, 11:30 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
No need to change. Again, what was the point of this thread?
Sometimes people just like to chat on a subject, doesn't always need an end goal.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 11:31 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, pretty easy. If you blow the budget but can afford it then you need a bigger budget. Or better yet, no budget -
Old 07-22-2021, 11:37 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Some points to summarize (so far) in this thread are:

1. Make a realistic retirement spending budget. Stick to it!

2. Don't go too crazy with your DW's clothing spend when you spend $2,500 on frivolous toys.

3. Make sure the brackets that hold the clothes rod on your closets are very secure.

I know there are more significant points, but I just can't think of any.
Old 07-22-2021, 11:38 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
Yes she is. And her closet is overflowing and we have more clothes in the basement. I don't complain because my hobbies aren't cheap...
Sounds like the OP's wife is addicted to shopping for clothes.

Perhaps the OP should be grateful she is not addicted to something worse, such as drugs or gambling.

Quote:
We can afford it, so I'm not sweating it. I still like tracking everything. Always have. My spreadsheet goes back to 1996. It's always interesting going back and looking at what we spent money on back then.

I don't make a big deal out of it with her and we never fight over money.
Then, if clothes make her happy, then clothes it is.

All the OP should do at this point is to urge her to make trips to Goodwill more often. Or perhaps add a storage rental to the budget. Perhaps just another $200/month?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 11:43 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Wife and I have budgeted and kept track of spending for years. What worked for us is to set the budget amounts together and review the spending together. Food is currently high, but due to prices lately rather than mis-spending.
JRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 11:43 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Sometimes people just like to chat on a subject, doesn't always need an end goal.
Like I often chat about how hot it is where I am.

I do have an end goal though. I want to add more solar panels on the roof, and to add another mini-split so that I can avoid turning on the 5-ton central AC.

But it has to be cool before I can start on this. Meanwhile, y'all will read about my complaint every so often. Besides, even with multiple ACs running full-blast, it's still hot outside and I do not want to get cooped up inside all the time.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 07-22-2021, 11:48 AM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
We can afford it, so I'm not sweating it. I still like tracking everything. Always have. My spreadsheet goes back to 1996. It's always interesting going back and looking at what we spent money on back then.

I don't make a big deal out of it with her and we never fight over money.
I didn't notice this until NW-Bound quoted it in his above post #45!

Well gee, if you can afford it, where's the problem? I don't see any. That's what money is for. We all have our weaknesses when it comes to spending.

Here's mine: I just pre-ordered the new OLED Switch which will cost me $349 upon its October release. People say it's no different from a regular Switch (which I already own!) except it has a prettier screen, more RAM, better sound, and it is a lovely white color. I don't care if it's not that different. It's something I want whether that desire is illogical or not. I am happy to throw $349 at Nintendo for it.
Old 07-22-2021, 11:51 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I didn't notice this until NW-Bound quoted it in his above post #45!

Well gee, if you can afford it, where's the problem? I don't see any. That's what money is for. We all have our weaknesses when it comes to spending.

Here's mine: I just pre-ordered the new OLED Switch which will cost me $349 upon its October release. People say it's no different from a regular Switch (which I already own!) except it has a prettier screen, more RAM, better sound, and it is a lovely white color. I don't care if it's not that different. It's something I want whether that desire is illogical or not. I am happy to throw $349 at Nintendo for it.
Y'all should be posting on the "Blow dough" thread, while I keep hitting the "Miserable Weather" thread.

Old 07-22-2021, 11:56 AM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Y'all should be posting on the "Blow dough" thread, while I keep hitting the "Miserable Weather" thread.
OK! I'll go post on BTD.
Old 07-22-2021, 12:12 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
OK! I'll go post on BTD.
Not quite sure daily lunches out with Frank will qualify.
Old 07-22-2021, 12:31 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

When we are hunching around the dementia ward, trying to find the bathroom for the 300th time and asking everyone where our mother is and when we can go home, it will be too late to enjoy the finer things of life.

So go forth and enjoy while ye may!
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 12:45 PM   #53

I don't budget nor do I track my expenditures.
Not back in working years nor now, starting year nine of retirement.

But I don't spend money frivolously.

So, are most of those clothes getting worn a fair amount and getting thrown out or GoodWilled when they get a bit frayed?
And food: are you managing leftovers and fresh food properly? Or does a lot of stuff get tossed?

And seriously try to avoid "shopping" as a hobby...
TheWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 12:58 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
When we are hunching around the dementia ward, trying to find the bathroom for the 300th time and asking everyone where our mother is and when we can go home, it will be too late to enjoy the finer things of life.

So go forth and enjoy while ye may!
I totally agree, especially for expenditures for better than average food and for various sorts of entertainment, including travel.

But buying/accumulating too much STUFF, some of which is never used, is indicative of a problem.
I forget what the name of it is...
TheWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 01:07 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I wonder what does OP's wife do with the "old" clothes... perhaps OP could introduce her to some of the various easy sell sites.

Then she can spend her time selling clothes she doesn't like/use and make room for new ones.

The clothes must be very sellable, as they are hardly worn and probably fancier than Kohls.
Old 07-22-2021, 01:57 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

I do budget but have had categories like yours that I consistently go over on. One of them is food. What I ultimately realized is that my true priority for that category was more than what I thought it "should" be. There are some categories that over time I saw how much we were spending and felt it wasn't worth it and did cut back or stop it entirely.

But, for some categories my actual spending really reflects what my true priority is. I also think "should" is soft of irrelevant. I might think my travel expenses should be $1000 a year (what it is typically) while others might think that "should" be $10,000 a year or more.

For variable categories what the amount is largely reflects how you prioritize the spending in that category. There is a big difference in what people spend on food depending on food choices and dining out, etc. Same with clothes.

Some categories there is little you can do to change them. Some you could change by major life changes. I could change my property taxes but it would require moving, etc.

But for other categories where you have more choice you can sometimes find that your actual spending reflects how you actually want to live whether than how you think you "should" want to live.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 02:22 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakedog View Post
Wow, $600 a month on clothes? I don't spend $400 a year on clothes with most of that being on running gear. Of course, you indicate none of that was on clothes for you. Being a single guy I just cannot relate to $7200 a year on clothes for one person......maybe that's why I'm single?
I would be surprised if I have spent $400 on clothes over the last 10 years!!!

However, our electric bill is pretty high because I *really* like AC.

As my DW likes to say, "If you aren't cooking for me, paying my bills, or fornicating with me, then it's none of your damn business."
Old 07-22-2021, 03:10 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

"Too much money, and not enough to do."

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWizard View Post

But buying/accumulating too much STUFF, some of which is never used, is indicative of a problem.
I forget what the name of it is...
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 03:25 PM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Quote:
OK! I'll go post on BTD.
Not quite sure daily lunches out with Frank will qualify.
Probably not. In 2018-2019, our daily lunches cost me an average of $8/day, including tax and tip. The average in 2020 was a dollar more but let's face it, that year was pretty crazy and not very typical so who knows.
Old 07-22-2021, 03:25 PM   #60
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

That's the great thing about Excel - Change that cell value from 400 to 600, tell DW that outfit looks great on you, and problem solved.