Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-23-2021, 10:39 AM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
Looks like we have some purely discretionary in the base budget. That is, if the SHTF, we could cut some from our base spending and be fine. Of course, we already have the $25k in annual BTD on top of that we could cut. And my data indicate that we actually have $50k / year we could spend on BTD. Maybe a list is in order?

$83,409 - Mildly frugal base budget
$108,129 - actuals (no real budgeting, just monitoring expenses)
$133,129 - actuals + $25k / year BTD
$158,129 - what the model says we can spend
My 2 cents FWIW.
You are fine overall financially with or without the larger food/clothing spending.
Based on this and past threads, it appears to let's say concern you about the clothing spending.
Before we retired, my DGF liked to spend a decent amount on clothing, but that has tapered off in retirement in exchange for other types of spending on experiences vs. things.
We still have infrequent spirited conversations about this area, but as long as it is reasonable, I back off.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2021, 11:12 AM   #102
Give me a forum ...

Your spouses spending on clothing appears to be well within your financial ability.

Your options are obvious. Pick one and move forward.

You must have a charmed life if this is your major financial concern.

Why not let it go? Enjoy your retirement. Don't sweat the small stuff....doing so will age you prematurely.
brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 11:17 AM   #103
Give me a forum ...

corn--your financials are fine, you have more than enough room in your proposed budgets.. Maybe change "budget" to "tracking spending". If you and DW are happy, no worries.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-23-2021, 02:10 PM   #104
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For what it is worth, eight years in, I don't worry about a budget. I never really did use one. We always spend way less than we earned and now we have plenty coming in for what we need and want. All those years of working paid off for us, glad they are behind me.
Old 07-24-2021, 07:34 AM   #105
Recycles dryer sheets

This entire thread is ridiculous on a FIRE Forum.

An early-retirement only forum/post to talk about one's insane excesses? Check

But does this have anything to do with FIRE? Nope.

If you guys practiced FIRE during your Pre-Retirement years, you would have set a budget, realized you are wasting too much money on clothing, and learned how to cook your own meals. You just wouldn't be having such excesses in spending behavior as you are right now.
But hey, do what ever you want, it's your own money. LOL
Stillwater007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 08:16 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater007 View Post
This entire thread is ridiculous on a FIRE Forum.

An early-retirement only forum/post to talk about one's insane excesses? Check

But does this have anything to do with FIRE? Nope.

If you guys practiced FIRE during your Pre-Retirement years, you would have set a budget, realized you are wasting too much money on clothing, and learned how to cook your own meals. You just wouldn't be having such excesses in spending behavior as you are right now.
But hey, do what ever you want, it's your own money. LOL
I retired @ 55 with enough money to cover my living expenses. How is that different from the person who did the same thing with $40k annual expenses?

I made $1.5M in 2019 and saved $750k of that (I paid $500k in taxes). A 50% savings rate certainly seems to follow the principles of FIRE: live below your means, save as much as possible, retire early.
Old 07-24-2021, 08:32 AM   #107
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I retired @ 55 with enough money to cover my living expenses. How is that different from the person who did the same thing with $40k annual expenses?

I made $1.5M in 2019 and saved $750k of that (I paid $500k in taxes). A 50% savings rate certainly seems to follow the principles of FIRE: live below your means, save as much as possible, retire early.
A multi-millionaire salary vs a 40k salary is like comparing apples and oranges with savings, bro. People on a 40k a year practicing FIRE would be lucky to save half of that in today's climate. That's 20k compared to your $750k a year.

Congrats on not blowing your entire wad while having a high income and saving. But we really don't pity your " I can't budget" situation.

Just change your thread title to " We tried to live within a budget, but WON'T".

Done.
Stillwater007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 09:05 AM   #108

Quote:
A multi-millionaire salary vs a 40k salary is like comparing apples and oranges with savings, bro. People on a 40k a year practicing FIRE would be lucky to save half of that in today's climate. That's 20k compared to your $750k a year.

Congrats on not blowing your entire wad while having a high income and saving. But we really don't pity your " I can't budget" situation.

Just change your thread title to " We tried to live within a budget, but WON'T".

Done.
This is one of the things that always irritates me about ER discussions. For some reason, you aren't doing it right if you spend more than what others consider reasonable. Whatever.
Old 07-24-2021, 09:11 AM   #109
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
This is one of the things that always irritates me about ER discussions. For some reason, you aren't doing it right if you spend more than what others consider reasonable. Whatever.
Agree. People need to stop comparing themselves to others. But if they do, not make a point that the other person is somehow wrong
perez99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 09:15 AM   #110

Quote:

Done.
Where on earth was the OP asking for pity? I see this as a good lesson and cautionary tale on budgeting for couples. We all have things we splurge on. Whether we make 40k or 750k. If you’re making 40k and saving like crazy for an early retirement, kudos to you. But why be so unpleasant to someone in a different place?
tb001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 09:26 AM   #111
Give me a forum ...

As I said earlier, if the OP made his post in the "Blow Dough" thread, he would get applause, not criticism.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 09:42 AM   #112
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Yes, everyone has different levels of income and accumulated savings.

Therefore, people with a lot more $$, can/will spend more than some couple living on $50,000 pensions. Not spending the money just lets it become more of a problem next year and would often deprive the people of possibilities.

I hope I haven't fallen into the trap of saying various people "should" only spend some set amount a year on X. It is an easy trap for me to fall into.

I like hearing what people spend and on what, it was because of this that I finally went on a river cruise a few years ago. A totally expensive vacation that I LOVED.
Old 07-24-2021, 09:58 AM   #113

Quote:
While I generally agree with you, I think it's just the usual, normal human tendency to criticize (or ridicule, or look down upon) those who are "different" from ourselves. It's essentially a modern form of tribalism, which in this case is something like "We here at the Smith household have much better spending and saving habits than those others at the Jones household. The way they spend money is appalling." These kinds of thoughts and conversations happen all the time in real life, behind closed doors, as opposed to out in the open here at E-R.org.

Personally, I try my best to refrain from judging other people, but a certain amount of it does seep through on forums like this where we are discussing all sorts of behaviors and lifestyles that are, by their nature, open to analysis, critique, and (hopefully constructive) criticism.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 10:13 AM   #114

Quote:
^^^^ It is social media. It is varying net worth and expenses at play here. Our food/groceries/dining run at about $60K a year. This does not include travel and other entertainment expenses. As long as each spends within what their net worth supports, there is no reason for anyone else to judge how the other person should spend their money.
RetiredHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 10:29 AM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
As I said earlier, if the OP made his post in the "Blow Dough" thread, he would get applause, not criticism.
I dunno the OP has kind of a history of threads like this.ie..just enough angst that some posters aren't sure if he's stressed out about it, just venting or looking for a way to save money.

Then if posters have differing opinions he seems to get offended and says I can afford this and more , and calling posters "bitter" and making judgements about other posters..which is exactly what he doesn't like other posters doing about him,

It's mixed messages to say the least. On the BTD thread posters very seldom say the exact price of something they bought unless someone asks. Plus the actual thread is called Blow that Dough. You know exactly what you are getting when you click it.

Anyway we now know that Corn says he made 1.5 mil..I don't recall anyone nosy enough to ask him what he made. So there is that.

I think his wife should up her clothes spending notice I didn't say "budget"
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 10:40 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
I dunno the OP has kind of a history of threads like this.ie..just enough angst that some posters aren't sure if he's stressed out about it, just venting or looking for a way to save money.

Then if posters have differing opinions he seems to get offended and says I can afford this and more , and calling posters "bitter" and making judgements about other posters..which is exactly what he doesn't like other posters doing about him,

It's mixed messages to say the least. On the BTD thread posters very seldom say the exact price of something they bought unless someone asks. Plus the actual thread is called Blow that Dough. You know exactly what you are getting when you click it.

Anyway we now know that Corn says he made 1.5 mil..I don't recall anyone nosy enough to ask him what he made. So there is that.

I think his wife should up her clothes spending notice I didn't say "budget"

I think he’s mentioned he got a significant payout when he left his former employer. I don’t think he has been making that kind of money annually for years.

I think it’s normal, when you’ve come into a significant sum, to struggle with what a reasonable spend is. And there’s a tendency to want to spend a big chunk. Couple that with retiring early on the heels of a ‘windfall’ where it has to last 30+ years, and I can totally understand having mixed feelings and stress about spending.

The only thread I remember by the OP was the landscaping project, where I think he was struggling with the same issue. That and him deciding NOT to take unemployment, though he would have been within rights to take it.
Old 07-24-2021, 10:43 AM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb001 View Post
I think he’s mentioned he got a significant payout when he left his former employer. I don’t think he has been making that kind of money annually for years.

I think it’s normal, when you’ve come into a significant sum, to struggle with what a reasonable spend is. And there’s a tendency to want to spend a big chunk. Couple that with retiring early on the heels of a ‘windfall’ where it has to last 30+ years, and I can totally understand having mixed feelings and stress about spending.

The only thread I remember by the OP was the landscaping project, where I think he was struggling with the same issue. That and him deciding NOT to take unemployment, though he would have been within rights to take it.

We all have mixed feeling and ideas about spending, that's the whole point.If you post financial stuff you have to expect people will have different ideas and comments about it. No single idea or number is right or wrong for a group of people.

Perhaps OP is trying to reassure himself I don't know.
Old 07-24-2021, 11:00 AM   #118

That's the trouble with social media. It happens on most sites. A lot of people post just for people to sympathize or pat them on the back. When comments are critical or just of a different opinion, they get huffy. The old adage applies: if you don't like the heat, stay out of the kitchen.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 11:02 AM   #119

Or, alternatively, if you don’t have anything nice to say….
Old 07-24-2021, 11:07 AM   #120
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb001 View Post
Or, alternatively, if you don’t have anything nice to say….

Curious about how having a different opinion is not being nice?