Wealth Track Interview with Lubos Pastor

chinaco

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
The speaker says had you invested in the German or Japanese stock markets prior to WW2 you would have been wiped out.
I thought currency was wiped out but stock in terms of the major index companies survived and recovered in like 20 years. Anyone know more about this specific issue?

I like Wealth Track but it is no longer on my local PBS station. Anybody else have this problem?

The speaker says had you invested in the German or Japanese stock markets prior to WW2 you would have been wiped out.
I thought currency was wiped out but stock in terms of the major index companies survived and recovered in like 20 years. Anyone know more about this specific issue?

Seems to me that the problems in that era had greater survivor issues than survival of a portfolio.

Either way, I really think portfolio diversification (including international and domestic diversification) is a good idea to lessen the risk of being wiped out. I didn't listen to the show but perhaps this was his point.

I even like the idea of multiple income streams (portfolio, pension, social security, yada yada yada) as a "belt and suspenders" approach as well.

The speaker makes a lot of sense regarding the uncertainty of future returns, as well as his comment regarding one's job stability and investing risk levels. To say the future will be like the past may not be right. But, no one really knows what the future will be like. In response it is prudent to hold a well diversified portfolio.

Some of the industrial concerns survived.

But the countries were wiped out, devastated and took decades to recover.

His point was the US benefited from being the victor in WWI and WWII and has largely prospered for 200 years which has yielded a great opportunity for US companies to grow. That level of growth may not continue.

So... international diversification is needed.

Back
Top Bottom