Join Early Retirement Today

Web sites to compare prices
Old 11-28-2012, 12:06 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Web sites to compare prices

What are the good sites where you can do some comparison shopping for items such as electronics, computer equipment, books, clothes, etc? I generally use Google shopping and MySimon.com. Or sometimes I just do a general Google search. One problem with being a LBYM'er is I'm not an expert shopper by any means, and this time of year is difficult.
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2012, 12:21 PM   #2

I like pricewatch

Pricewatch - Web's first Price Comparison site. Find the lowest price, deals on tech and more

also PriceGrabber.com - Smart Shopping Anytime, Anywhere ,
Nextag - Compare Prices Before you Buy
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:21 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Honestly, US is such a big market but all price comparison sites here are plain junk, totally useless. Take a look at prisjakt.nu THE BEST in the business (Swedish website, useless for US prices but great if you want to buy a specific product and you can not figure out specifications, like laptops, TVs etc.)

To your question, best is froogle (now google shopping) but be warned of taxes and shipping. Sometimes they fail there.

Or the trick that I use (that usually does not need comparison shopping), rarely someone sells cheaper than Amazon so what I do is, I keep looking for products that I would like to buy sometimes during my free time and I have camelcamelcamel extension installed in Chrome. If I like the product, you click on the icon and it tells you what is the cheapest price amazon has sold the product. I set up a price alert around that price and as soon I get an email that it has met the criteria, I buy the product. So far failed only once.
noelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:12 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This site will give you an idea as to the price history of something on Amazon and BestBuy: Amazon price tracker, Amazon price history charts, price watches, and price drop alerts. | camelcamelcamel.com

It is not really a comparison site but rather a tool to determine a good relative price historically. Also has a tracking feature which I use for things I'm patient on.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:30 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I usually search within SlickDeals.net and FatWallet.com to see if there have been decent deals online or in-store. You can post to get help on specific products in SlickDeals. Typically a lively forum.CamelCamelCamel is a good indicator although I have seen at least once where the low price I saw on amazon didn't show up at all on CCC.
pixelville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:25 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Recently I was trying to find a red blouse. I usually put the description into Google, click on images, then I just click on one I like and it takes me to the website. Not ideal though because I can't see the price. Then I found these two websites that narrow down my search by a description of the item and also allow me to look at the price. You can set up sale alerts also.
Red Silk Blouse at ShopStyle
Red Silk Blouse - Shop for Red Silk Blouse at Polyvore
tinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:12 PM   #7

For the stuff I buy, there's usually a small handful of companies that consistently have the best prices and customer service (i.e. return policies). For example, with photo gear I almost never bother look anywhere other than BHPhoto. Any place that is cheaper is questionable or has restocking fees for returns etc.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote