Weird Question... How often do you count your money/assets?

Still working and accumulating. I check all investments, bank balances and credit cards daily. I don't seem to be one of those people that get upset with the ups and downs of the stock market. I keep investing. I only have 13 accounts to check and it doesn't take that long. I also send a spreadsheet to my husband every Friday letting him know the totals of the investment and bank accounts. That is all he is interested, the bottom line. I started doing that hoping he would show some interest in how I was investing our money. We are doing well so I get an "atta girl" once in a while.

As someone else stated they entered all their other banking and investment accounts into their "full view" or whatever it's called at Vanguard. None of your other account numbers are used. You manually update cash balances (deposits, withdrawals, etc) and Vanguard updates all other info. using number of shares and the market price per share. I don't use Vanguard but Fidelity and Charles Schwab have the same thing. So if you want to see a daily quick look at all investing and banking you can use one of these tools.
I enjoy looking at the numbers and take a quick look at each individual stock to see what's going on.

I let Quicken count for me everyday, after all MFs have reported their NAV.

And I usually click on "download all accounts", in order to have Quicken download any dividend payouts, any trade I made, plus any charges that are incurred on my bank cards, payments my wife made off the checking account.

So, I guess you can say I count my money daily. No need to do any expense planning or budgeting, as I have been retired for quite a few years and there's no change in expenditures other than they keep going down.

ME 2

Count?

Usually when triggered by a thread like this. It's more of a back of an envelope thing, rounding down account totals, adding and getting a ballpark number.

But, but... I want to KNOW!!! :D :2funny:

I mean really, to make an analogy, why would I go around with a black hood over my head, so to speak, when I can remove it and see all the light and colors around me.

Another analogy could be drawn between this habit and my habit of recording and adding up all my spending every month. I never spend even half of what FIRECalc says I could, so it's not like this is keeping me from begging with a tin cup down on the street corner. But I just want to KNOW how I'm doing with my spending!!! :D

:LOL: Good one!

Me too!

Back
Top Bottom