Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-14-2015, 01:39 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One phrase that's always bugged me is when someone says "You don't know how lucky you are". I can concede that I am where I am today partly because of luck. Selling my condo at just the right time and making a nice profit, investing and rebalancing at the right time, some help from family, etc. But it's the "you don't know..." part that really gets under my skin. How do they know whether I know or not?
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2015, 03:03 PM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
We've had a number of threads on the subject of "reactions of others to my RE announcement." The one common thing I notice occuring prior to the OP receiving unwanted comments is the OP telling others. It has to be so tempting to do so. You're excited. You're likely hoping for some consensual validation of your decision. Etc.

But it does seem like NOT telling others and simply waiting to see how the application process goes and eventually letting the system (management, HR, whoever) get the word out as necessary would be the way to go.

The "quiet strategy" pretty much worked for me, although the situation was not exactly the same.
I think this was a unique situation in that everyone got the info at the same time. Friday at 8 we got the email, then at 10:30 we had an informational meeting with HR where we got to ask question.

Then Friday afternoon we had a business meeting saying how bad the company was/is hemorrhaging money.

Lol, what's funny is that I actually came here to ask others opinions.

So basically Monday morning everybody was talking about it and saying whether of not they were going to apply.

Today things seem back to normal, believe me though when the final decision is made I do plan on keeping my lips sealed. which in itself seems a bit sad
bclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:10 AM   #83
Recycles dryer sheets

I think your response to the questions should have been:

1) Yes! He left me a fortune! I'm planning a month long cruise to Europe!

2) Yes I know you will still be working. Make sure you pay your taxes on time. I want to maximize my ACA tax subsidies!

Then smile and walk away!
MrLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:40 AM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
After the offer, I spent 3 weeks getting up to speed on NPV planning and then made the decision declaration 5 weeks ahead of the deadline. Management wanted me to stay around, and I agreed to stay for 2 additional months. I also did one day a week of consulting.

Many of my workmates were surprised. I said I loved my job but I could not pass up the financial opportunity.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:31 AM   #85
Full time employment: Posting here.

My boss told me I would be back working in a month or so "after you have rearranged the soup cabinet two or three times"! It has been 3 1/2 months, and I haven't even opened the soup cabinet once! Most of the co-workers were nice and envious, just my boss had obnoxious comments.

Have the day you deserve, and let Karma sort it out.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Taxman59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 11:39 AM   #86
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post
So basically Monday morning everybody was talking about it and saying whether of not they were going to apply.
I'm simply suggesting that instead of "everybody was talking about it and saying whether or not they were going to apply," it should have been "everybody except bclover..........."

I went through pretty much the same thing you did except I did NOT talk about whether I would apply or not (except to two close friends/confidants and my DW). With others, I simply discussed general pros and cons of the package without any reference to my personal situation or decision.

In the end, I did not apply for the voluntary buy-out package but did receive a very fair severance/benefits-continuation package when I was laid off several years later at age 58.

After the layoff, I did utilize the placement services MegaCorp was providing for a couple of months. I never mentioned to anyone that my job search was optional and that I didn't need to work. When no really appealing opportunities appeared and I decided to call "fired" "FIRE'd," I did tell friends that I was done with my working life. I wanted to step out of the networking stream and not have friends waste their time since I was no longer interested in receiving any tips, references, introductions, etc.....

So, yes, if you don't want your personal situation to be an open book and talked about (sometimes inappropriately) I'd suggest you censor your participation in conversations to non-personal observations about the whole situation with your company.

Good luck! And enjoy FIRE!

Edit: I'll add that even after I pulled the plug on job hunting and backed out of the networking stream, I still helped friends, who for whatever reason needed to continue working, with resume editing, practice interviews, references and access to any of my lingering connections in the industry. Now nine years+ FIRE'd, it's only recently that requests for this type of help have diminished to near zero.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:04 PM   #87
Recycles dryer sheets

Nasty yrs in the recession. Lots of back stabbing because many were afraid about losing their jobs. I had asked for a layoff 3 times but never got it. Done @ 45 + with a bit of a push 3 yrs ago. I still do not tell very many I am retired, one because of the negative comments I always get and two because I still do some non income projects and when someone finds out you are retired they think you are as rich as Warren Buffet and really try to charge you!!! I keep it to myself!
Hyper is offline   Reply With Quote