Weird reactions to early retirement announcement.

I ER'd at 55 and had the totally opposite reaction. Not a single negative comment. Everyone was happy for me. I had a great retirement party and since then I've been a source of inspiration for others. No kidding! A friend retired this year earlier than he had been expecting and credited my experience for influencing his decision. I still have pleasant lunches with former work colleagues every couple of months.

Wow, you work with some awful people!

Congratulations on your decision. I will cross my fingers for you that they accept your request.

Wow, the things that people say. I guess in your case the saying "Jealousy rears it ugly head" is all too true. Although the only consolation I can offer is just look forward to that day when you can tell them all bye-bye! Not good bye, they are not worth it.

Jealousy is a real problem nowadays.
For sure, and it was never seen on the earth before 2013. People are surely going to the dogs. it must be due to sugar.

Let your smile be your sword and the back of your head be your answer.

What a great phrase! Reminds of one of my favorite quotes, by Robert J. Sawyer:

"Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace."

They're not going to get into the kingdom of heaven anyway, >:D and you are! :angel:

It amazes me how some people can be so insensitive. I am always grateful that I do not have family that are like this. Can you imagine being married to the person that said these things to you?

Congrats on making your decision and hoping that they will let you retire. I hope that the time passes quickly that you have to work with these insensitive clouts.

BC, what a bunch of dweebs!

What they did would piss me off enough that I would be tempted to give them the "L" sign and mutter "Loser" under my breath loudly enough that they could hear.

I'm thankful that my colleagues were happy for me when I retired early. My attitude to someone who retired early would be "Good for them!".

I'm not even retired yet but I have learned already not to say anything to anyone such as, "I plan to retire early". People aren't fascinated by your plans but they instead instantly see a mirror. What comes out of their mouth next simply reflects their own position, whether panic about their debt, their eternal spousal fights about not having enough money, fear about upcoming college tuition/s, embarrassment about their lack of savings, their unquestioned Puritan work ethic, etc. We are the richest country in history that worships the dollar and yet money is the biggest taboo subject. This forum is one of the only "places" a person can discuss money issues openly. That's only because we are anonymous, and hurray for that!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
+1. Well said.
Where I worked, early retirement was quite common, almost the norm. Nobody I would speak to would ever be so ignorant to say something like that, even if they thought it.

Last edited:
It's a shame that if someone can't be happy for you that they feel a need to make a hurtful comment. I was fortunate to have most people congratulate me and a few younger folks genuinely ask for advice on how they can prepare to retire early. Two of my coworkers left shortly after I did, mainly to get away from a couple of other coworkers that made life miserable for the rest of us, not wanting to deal with them without me as a buffer.
Management approached me to offer more money to stay, which I respectfully declined. Then they tried to get me to point fingers at people that caused me to leave early, though I never gave them any indication it was someone else that pushed me out. I did then tell them their leadership could use some changes, but they didn't appreciate that much. It was a short meeting.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I also think there is some old animosity bubbling up. In 2010 the company ended the pension plan but those hired before 2009 were grandfathered in. those who were hired before 1995 will get almost full pensions. A lot of the more recent hires felt that no one should have been grandfathered in. why get mad at me?? Lol, my pay level is waaaay below those who make that call
That's interesting. We still have pensions so there's never any animosity when someone retires. Mostly just "I'm jealous" and "That's amazing" comments but nothing snide. We usually even throw a small retirement party (cake or pastries) during break time. I hope I never have to encounter what you're seeing. Lol, the more common joke among the older folks (60s or so with 20+ years of service) is "You're rich. Why haven't you retired yet?"

Anyway, congratulations and I hope you get the package! :)

I'm planning on retiring in 6 months (or at the very least, becoming very part-time), and none of my coworkers/friends/family know about it. It will be interesting to see what the various reactions are...

For sure, and it was never seen on the earth before 2013. People are surely going to the dogs. it must be due to sugar.

Aah the sarcasm , the wit, the dry humor ... thoroughly enjoy your comments Haha .

Sorry about your loss bclover, people making such mean comments are not worth paying attention to , with time they will be out of sight , out of mind.

-Desi Girl

Two major events in my life, leaving Megacorp with a golden handshake after 25 years, and leaving first marriage after 26 years, taught me to never over-estimate the calibre of my acquaintances.

Stories like this are so common that I was very hesitant to tell anyone that I was retiring at 51. However, I got no weird reactions at all from anyone; family, friends or co-workers. Everyone seem happy for me.

Now, you know that's not true. Sugar is merely incidental and dogs are irrelevant. Because, all trouble and strife was brought into the world in 2001. Before then, everything was easy, college was free and people got jobs the day after graduating, etc.

I'm planning on retiring in 6 months (or at the very least, becoming very part-time), and none of my coworkers/friends/family know about it. It will be interesting to see what the various reactions are...

My advise, don't say anything more than a week before.

Two major events in my life, leaving Megacorp with a golden handshake after 25 years, and leaving first marriage after 26 years, taught me to never over-estimate the calibre of my acquaintances.

lol. definitely have to remember that

bclover, I am sure you got a lot more "congrats" than the nasty/not so PC ones remarks, right? I hope that is the case and that's what you remember from the announcement.

I got a few you're too young shocked responses and quite a few I wish I could do what you're doing.
I'm sure there were fear and jealousy but at least co-workers didn't openly express it (and gave me a nice going-away reception).

bclover, I am sure you got a lot more "congrats" than the nasty/not so PC ones remarks, right? I hope that is the case and that's what you remember from the announcement.

LOl. definitely. actually we got many "good lucks". It was just really weird because like I said this is just the application process.

We still have to be approved and most of the people who have submitted the application (we have until 10/29) are very close to retirement. I would say 55-60

Who knows. keep your fingers crossed for me.

LOl. definitely. actually we got many "good lucks". It was just really weird because like I said this is just the application process.

We still have to be approved and most of the people who have submitted the application (we have until 10/29) are very close to retirement. I would say 55-60

Who knows. keep your fingers crossed for me.

My fingers are crossed for you.

( I can only dream about what you are going through. My megacorp does not believe in voluntary retirement. They only know layoff with bare minimum severance pay. :()

This is why I make sure to congratulate all the people who announce their retirement at my office, & when anyone else pipes up that the person is too young to retire, I correct them: "no such thing!" My co-workers know I'm super frugal & won't be working til I'm in my 70s...not there at least "she still has the first dime she ever made" LOL so it won't be a surprise but I won't count on there being no negative comments.

Back
Top Bottom