Well, they fired me. Or they say they are going to.

A non profit organization brings to my mind a group of kind sympathetic people. And this is how they treat their good employees ?

Remind them that they are good, kind, benevolent and generous non profit board members. Better yet, ask them to ask your students why you should be let go.

Board members on non-profits can be on an ego trip. Remind them of their duties as a board member. If they are letting the faculty do the hiring and firing at will.....that's not right.

A non profit organization brings to my mind a group of kind sympathetic people. And this is how they treat their good employees ?

Remind them that they are good, kind, benevolent and generous non profit board members. Better yet, ask them to ask your students why you should be let go.

Board members on non-profits can be on an ego trip. Remind them of their duties as a board member. If they are letting the faculty do the hiring and firing at will.....that's not right.

Agreed on many fronts. The faculty appears to completely control personnel matters related to education. Unquestionably that is a problem, and one someone will pursue legally eventually.

Naive on the non profit comment, just had the FBI investigating SEVERAL local non profits for stealing money that was supposed to go to feeding needy children. How low can you go? Tens of millions of federal dollars so dont have blinders on when talking about the NP...

Naive on the non profit comment, just had the FBI investigating SEVERAL local non profits for stealing money that was supposed to go to feeding needy children. How low can you go? Tens of millions of federal dollars so dont have blinders on when talking about the NP...

Please explain this further. I don't understand your comment.

My comment was that just because a group is a "non profit" doesn't mean that they are better than the rest. I've had experiences where non profit boards haven't been as responsible as they should be and have hidden behind the non profit shield.

Last edited:
Please explain this further. I don't understand your comment.

My comment was that just because a group is a "non profit" doesn't mean that they are better than the rest. I've had experiences where non profit boards haven't been as responsible as they should be and have hidden behind the non profit shield.

I took your comments at face value, didn't pickup the sarcasm..:LOL: we are in total agreement

In a fair world, you may have a case, but besides the chat that you screen cap’d, is there any more hard evidence? I note the “at will” letter in your personnel file. My bet is that without some screaming age/gender/race/ethnicity evidence, you will not prevail…not because you are wrong, but because certain elements of society are happy to employ reverse discrimination to either 1) meet a quota, or 2) virtue signal. My guess is that it is probably a little of both.

I’m a retired CEO from an HR services related conglomerate. I hate discrimination in any form, especially when it is for virtue signaling or quotas. All that does is dumb down a business to the lowest common denominator, in the process killing competitiveness. And when an excellent employee has to lose their job in the name of affirmative action quotas, it is deplorable.

In a fair world, you may have a case, but besides the chat that you screen cap’d, is there any more hard evidence? I note the “at will” letter in your personnel file. My bet is that without some screaming age/gender/race/ethnicity evidence, you will not prevail…not because you are wrong, but because certain elements of society are happy to employ reverse discrimination to either 1) meet a quota, or 2) virtue signal. My guess is that it is probably a little of both.

I’m a retired CEO from an HR services related conglomerate. I hate discrimination in any form, especially when it is for virtue signaling or quotas. All that does is dumb down a business to the lowest common denominator, in the process killing competitiveness. And when an excellent employee has to lose their job in the name of affirmative action quotas, it is deplorable.

Thanks a ton for your comment and perspective, particularly given your prior career. There is more evidence I'm not going to go into here, but not much "hard" evidence in the form of a screenshot, document, etc. Rather, the evidence consists of comments that were made to me. I probably have to leave it at that. But of course, such comments are subject to "he said, she said" sort of scrutiny.

As you wrote, life isn't fair. At almost age 55, I know that. At age 45, I still had a fair amount of idealism left and probably didn't know that. At age 50, I still had some idealism. Now, it's pretty much gone. Sadly. All I can do is keep my side of the street clean.

And of course, I am fortunate to have some decent retirement savings. I'm not going to say I'm "lucky" to have the savings because my wife and I lived within our means for many years and did what we needed to do to be fairly secure financially. But of course, life savings can be threatened with one major illness. I still have 10 years to go till Medicare. It's nice to have a job with some security regarding health insurance.

If this country had a better health-insurance system, this whole situation would not have irked me as much as it did. I probably worry too much about insurance, but it is what it is.

Thanks again. Onward and upward (or sideways) is what I'm thinking. I really appreciate all the people who took time to comment here though.

A good friend was laid off in what was a clear (and pretty well documented) case of discrimination.

She consulted a few lawyers. All agreed she'd win her case because she had discriminatory statements in writing (emails.) Was told that while she'd win, suing would follow her for the rest of her career (she was in her 30's) and would take a lot of time and money. Instead she had a lawyer write a letter to obtain a better severance package.

That's what I'd do - have a lawyer write a letter, laying out the issues, negotiating for a better severance package.

I would speak to a lawyer and stop posting on the internet. As they say on TV - Anything you say can and will be used against you.

This.

You can withdraw from your 401K at 55 yrs old without penalty, so it you're out in June - you're safe. With 1.9 mil - I think you will do just fine.

You never said if you had kids or not ? Do you have kids. What's your expenses today?

Not always. Not **all** 401k plans allow for withdrawals at age 55. The law allows plans to provide this option - but not all plans choose to have this option. Check your 401k (or 403b, or whatever) plan documents about whether you can withdraw without penalty at age 55. Do not make assumptions.

A good friend was laid off in what was a clear (and pretty well documented) case of discrimination.

She consulted a few lawyers. All agreed she'd win her case because she had discriminatory statements in writing (emails.) Was told that while she'd win, suing would follow her for the rest of her career (she was in her 30's) and would take a lot of time and money. Instead she had a lawyer write a letter to obtain a better severance package.

That's what I'd do - have a lawyer write a letter, laying out the issues, negotiating for a better severance package.

This.

Not always. Not **all** 401k plans allow for withdrawals at age 55. The law allows plans to provide this option - but not all plans choose to have this option. Check your 401k (or 403b, or whatever) plan documents about whether you can withdraw without penalty at age 55. Do not make assumptions.

Thanks for your comment about your friend. Sorry she dealt with that.

I am more aware than most about the dangers of posting online, for reasons I can't really say. Suffice to say only statements against interest can really be "held against you," on TV or otherwise. Nothing I have said in this thread is untrue.

Regarding the 401k/403b, I did not assume the Rule of 55 applies. When things were continuing to go a bad direction several months ago, I asked HR whether the Rule of 55 applies to my specific plan. I have an email that says it does.

Last edited:
Sounds like a case of age, etc discrimination to me. So contact a lawyer who specializes in this.
Also consider your other options. I knew some college profs who made a LOT more consulting.
Also look at teaching elsewhere, including in other countries.

Back
Top Bottom