Join Early Retirement Today

Wellesley & LifeStrategy Conservative Growth
Old 06-02-2020, 05:19 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wellesley & LifeStrategy Conservative Growth

I’m wondering if any of the many Vanguard fans here are using either of these funds or a combination of them as their sole or primary portfolio.

I’m thinking that a 50:50 blend of the two might make a pretty good minimalist retirement choice. With Wellesley being actively-managed and very U.S. - centric it’s hard for me to choose it exclusively, but equally difficult to ignore its many decades of out-performance.
kevink is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2020, 05:23 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

No experience with LifeStrategy Conservative Growth. The bulk of my portfolio is in Wellesley and Wellington funds and have been for 15+ years. I'm a conservative, "don't just do something, stand there" type investor and the combo has worked well for me.
Old 06-02-2020, 07:19 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

We have reduced our holdings to LS Moderate, Wellesley, Wellington. We already had the W's and added the Life Strategy when it came out and discontinued new money into the W's.
All happy here
slingshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 07:32 PM   #4

We use both in different parts of our portfolio. No complaints.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 08:40 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Don't forget there are global options for the W's as well. I briefly held the global Wellington, in my ira.

Ive owned both Wellesley and Wellington at 50/50 going into the year. But sold the Wellington right after New Years. No regrets, other than the lack of international.

The life strategy funds seem like nice options as well. Id be happy with either again when I get back in.
Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 01:50 AM   #6
Administrator

Our IRAs (all Roth) are Wellington and Wellesley, my wife’s are LifeStrategy Income. Retired over 10 years, and taking all the dividends as tax free income to supplement our pensions. No complaints.
Old 06-03-2020, 05:47 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Both great funds. Wellesley kicks off more money but more taxes in taxable.
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 06:28 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Yahoo to lem1955
I haven't used Windsor, Wellington or Wellesley. Though I've seen them all praised here and elsewhere. I guess I'm a passive index investor through and through. I have all the Life Strategy funds in various parts of my portfolio. Just added the Conservative Growth one to a taxable account. I've been very happy with them.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Our IRAs (all Roth) are Wellington and Wellesley, my wife’s are LifeStrategy Income. Retired over 10 years, and taking all the dividends as tax free income to supplement our pensions. No complaints.
Both Wellesley and Wellington have some unqualified dividends, so there may some tax consequences to withdrawals in a taxable account.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:23 AM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post
Both Wellesley and Wellington have some unqualified dividends, so there may some tax consequences to withdrawals in a taxable account.
I totally agree which is why I was careful to specify in my post that they were Roth withdrawals, and why I kept them in IRAs during the accumulation period.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:35 AM   #11
gone traveling

A big chunk of my IRA port is Wellesley and Wellington.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 03:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I totally agree which is why I was careful to specify in my post that they were Roth withdrawals, and why I kept them in IRAs during the accumulation period.
Yes, I noticed the same, just added for those holding in a different account.

Best to you,

Vw
Old 06-03-2020, 04:51 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback.
kevink is offline   Reply With Quote