Wellesley and rising interest rates

Yep, no pain no gain.

And if an investor does not know what he is doing, it's all pain for no gain.

Interesting concept with these fund picks. When you get much older, what happens to years 26 and beyond?

You mean if there's still anything left? :)

While that's the allocation I'll start with when I RE, I haven't yet decided how it will evolve as I move thru large blocks of time. My first thought was that the first three years of Wellesley used for draw would always stay at three years worth of withdrawals and be replenished every year from Wellington while the health care and energy funds remained untouched, and as I got towards the end of the 26 years the (hopefully) long term growth health care and energy funds would be moved into Wellington.

But I honestly haven't settled on that strategy yet.

My Vanguard account is concentrated on Wellington, Wellesley and Intermediate term bond fund. Roughly that puts me about 40% equity.
I'm not moving anything at this point, despite bond's dire future with interest rate.
I stay with my asset allocation no matter what. I have cash in other account.
There is a risk in anything. It's part of investing.

Also, the "strategy and policy" statement at Vanguard's website say nothing about your 2 rules. If those were really the top 2 rules they would probably be 100% in CDs or similar investments. I'm glad they aren't.

I think you are taking my statement too literally. A 9% loss in 2008 is remarkably little the category average was 13%. I went back and looked at various ER threads that showed the performance of Wellesley. (Vanguard fiscal years end Sept. 30 so sometimes it hard to make the right comparison) Roughly once or twice a decade Wellesley loses 2-9% and 2-3 times a decade that make 15%+. The rest of the time Wellesley makes 8-10% which is fairly remarkable because even though the market average is 9-10% the S&P almost never makes 8-11%. The +30% and -10% years are more common.

If you look at Wellesley portfolio and to a large extent Wellington's also they don't hold the Netflix, Tesla, nor do they swoop in a try and buy Detroit bonds on the cheap. So they miss out on some of potential big wins, but when I say they avoid losing a lot of money they do so by staying away from the risky bets.

One of the reasons I don't own either W&W funds is because when I look at their stock portfolio, there is high degree of overlap. My core holdings look very similar to both funds. Except for I dabble in Tesla and Netflix in small amounts.

I think you are taking my statement too literally. A 9% loss in 2008 is remarkably little the category average was 13%. I went back and looked at various ER threads that showed the performance of Wellesley. (Vanguard fiscal years end Sept. 30 so sometimes it hard to make the right comparison) Roughly once or twice a decade Wellesley loses 2-9% and 2-3 times a decade that make 15%+. The rest of the time Wellesley makes 8-10% which is fairly remarkable because even though the market average is 9-10% the S&P almost never makes 8-11%. The +30% and -10% years are more common.
OK, you bolded it and then pointed out a year 40 years ago as if it hadn't happened within the last 10 years. I figure when people are using numbers and saying things like "no matter what" they are talking at least fairly literally. I mean, you essentially promised your mother that she couldn't lose money, when in fact she history shows she can with those investments, at least in the yearly term of your letters. But that's between you and her. I trust people here will do their own due diligence, and this was just a bit of a warning from me to be sure not to skip that. I used numbers from Vanguard's own site. https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/snapshot?FundId=0027&FundIntExt=INT#tab=1a . Out of the last 16 years, there's 7 that did less than 8%, including 2 that lost money. Not trying to get into a pissing match, just trying to be real.

Back
Top Bottom